PDA

View Full Version : Zenpo Hiyaku Ukemi

Please visit our sponsor:

AikiWeb Sponsored Links - Place your Aikido link here for only $10!

villrg0a
08-28-2005, 06:16 AM
Keep landing on my shoulders before the slam, tried to kick higher using toes just got worst. This is during solo practice, but when assisted by a technique, I think I am able to provide the ukemi even though I know theres more room for improvement.

But when doing the rolling version no probs.....

Any tips from yoshi's out there please?

How can it be done exactly the same as the last one once I get it right?

Thank you in advance for replying....

Adam Huss
08-28-2005, 02:19 PM
Don't know what you mean by yoshi, but....

The biggest thing I was stressed was to get the rear "slapping" hand to hit early. Really early. There should be two distinct slaps, bam......bam. Your hand, then your leg/body. This absorbs alot of shock. I didn't realize this at my dojo because we had really nice mats, but when I went to another dojo to be an uchi deshi they had really hard mats. They don't actually make them anymore. So absorbing shock was quite important. Ended up being really nice, my break falls improved greatly.
Another thing. Your front foot should stay on the ground as long as possible. The longer it stays on the ground....the shorter distance you fall. I've seen people who will do hyaku ukemi and their rear hand will hit just as there front foot leaves the mat. We had a 2,000 or so sq. foot mat area that we would do all our falls around the outer wall of the tatami and there were a few guys who would just zip around the dojo doing hyaku ukemi and just having the most soft and beatiful landings. One guy up there, no matter how hard you tried to slamhim (it was a bit of a "high energy" dojo), he would land softly. It was like trying to throw a kleenex really hard across the room.
Anyways good luck. I know my ukemi have improved drastically over the last year...more than I thought I could.
Osu!
~adam

Steven
08-28-2005, 03:23 PM
He means Yoshinkan ....

Sonja2012
08-29-2005, 01:44 AM
Your front foot should stay on the ground as long as possible. The longer it stays on the ground....the shorter distance you fall. I've seen people who will do hyaku ukemi and their rear hand will hit just as there front foot leaves the mat.

Some time ago, Jun posted some clips on soft breakfalls and just last night I was watching them (if you read this, Jun, they are awesome :) ) and then I played them in slow mo and he does exactly that. At the point when his foot leaves the floor, his hands has already started to slap (looks funny, actually, his body is all bent). It looks like one needs to be very flexible to do it. Here is the link to Junīs clip (I hope it is ok to post this again, Jun?), I find it very helpful:

http://www.aikiweb.net/videos/ukemi/softbreakfall1.mpg

Regards,
Sonja

villrg0a
08-29-2005, 03:31 AM
[Adam] - Thanks! I will try to experiment on it. Instead of jumping forward, will try to keep that foot longer on the ground.

[Steven] - Yes I meant Yoshinkan :)

[Sonja] - I will combine the lean more, and keep the foot longer on the ground..

Thanks guys! Any more takers please?

Simbo
08-29-2005, 08:51 AM
I have to say that video was one of the awesomest things I've seen in awhile