PDA

View Full Version : Lightning Bolt, Steven Seagal and Aikido

Please visit our sponsor:

AikiWeb Sponsored Links - Place your Aikido link here for only $10!

diesel
08-23-2005, 09:54 AM
http://www.lightningdrink.com/ and
Newswire Release (http://www.prnewswire.com/cgi-bin/stories.pl?ACCT=104&STORY=/www/story/08-22-2005/0004091933&EDATE=)

"Aikido Master and Master Herbalogist Steven Seagal has released an energy drink." I'll let you guys read through the website.

Apparently as a promotion, anyone who buys a 4 pack can send in the UPC and 4.95$USD and get the Path Beyond Thought DVD. Great price for a good video.

So is this good or bad? Think this will boost the popularity of aikido?

Has anyone actually seen this or tried this yet?

Cheers,
Eric

Yann Golanski
08-23-2005, 09:59 AM
Buy mah snake oil instead.

Trust me, I'm a doctor...

No, I really am!

Lorien Lowe
08-23-2005, 01:58 PM
<Grooaaannnnnn!>

mathewjgano
08-23-2005, 03:27 PM
Cheers,
Eric

Heheheh! "'Boost' the popularity" good pun! Whether intended or not ;-)

I don't think it is either good or bad, nor do I think it will affect the popularity of Aikido very much. In this day and age it seems there are so many herbal energy drinks already on the market that I don't see his as becoming particularly popular, though it may be the very best for all I know. Regarding the popularity of Aikido again, I'd hate to think someone was drawn to it for the sake of an energy drink, I'd feel the same if someone was drawn away from Aikido in the same regard.
Take care,
Matt

Aiki LV
08-23-2005, 04:07 PM
So does this put him in the same category as rappers lil Jon and Nelly who produce their energy drinks named crunk juice & pimp juice?

tenshinaikidoka
08-23-2005, 04:25 PM
So how do you order this?? I have looked at the retail locator and it says "Coming Soon" Any ideas, or do you need to contact them direct???? Maybe it is just me, but I am confused!!!!

Amassus
08-23-2005, 05:16 PM
LOL!

Go Steven!
This man knows no boundaries!
(Neither does his ego)

diesel
08-23-2005, 10:32 PM
I don't think the drink is out yet... maybe only in a few test markets right now...

villrg0a
08-23-2005, 10:33 PM
Wahhhh..... not fair.

Some people purchased the DVD for more than $4.95, now it looks like they are just giving 'em away...

Adman
08-24-2005, 09:57 AM
It appears they couldn't even take the time to actually photograph someone drinking the stuff. The header graphic has had the product composited in for the models.

Hogan
08-24-2005, 11:37 AM
He is one of the most boring, unexciting, un-ergentic people I have seen in his last dozen or so direct to video DVD's, how can he sell an energy drink with a straight face ?

Lyle Bogin
08-24-2005, 11:47 AM
Does it come with a plate glass window to throw someone through?

Maybe they could come with Segal movie prop prizes, like two uzi's or an 8 ball wrapped in a dish rag. I would totally buy that.

happysod
08-24-2005, 11:54 AM
I wonder if it would help my "aiki-golf" swing and does it come in hakama and mat flavours? (for the purists)

Ron Tisdale
08-24-2005, 11:57 AM
Don't you mean 'Kiai-Golf' TM?

http://www.kiaigolf.com/

Best,
Ron :)

Misogi-no-Gyo
08-24-2005, 03:51 PM
He is one of the most boring, unexciting, un-ergentic people I have seen in his last dozen or so direct to video DVD's, how can he sell an energy drink with a straight face ?

Sheeeesh!

One might begin to question the intelligence, or at the very least the opinion of someone who, after the fourth, fifth, or even sixth "boring, unexciting, un-ergentic..." DVD, continued on to see a total of a dozen or so...

Perhaps you should make a power drink and see what people have to say about you.... and your wonderful, exciting, energetic aikido, too.

At least wait until you try it before you criticize it, the manufacturer, the creator, or the spokesman... or is that a bit too much to ask?

Personally, I had no problem with the add until I found out the name of the flavors in which it will be available, and how contradictory they seemed to be with the idea of healthy... Not that anyone who seeks out power drinks is concerned too much about their health.

The pitch sounded a bit like, "Yeah, gimme that powder blue semi-automatic..." or more like "Don't mind the coating on your prescription medicine, that's just so it gets released over time. Of course, the coating will take the paint off a car, so I would definitely advise against leaving any pills on your car..."

Hopefully there won't be any big lawsuits when someone spills a can of the stuff and when their dog laps it up it begins to look for a tree to knock over, or a person to bite...

Mashu
08-24-2005, 05:07 PM
Misogi-no-Gyo,

When you hung out with Seagal Sensei did you ever watch that movie Weird Science (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0090305/)
together? :)

Misogi-no-Gyo
08-24-2005, 05:16 PM
Misogi-no-Gyo,

When you hung out with Seagal Sensei did you ever watch that movie Weird Science (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0090305/)
together? :)

Watch the movie? Heck, when we used to train up at the ranch or at the dojo, she would sometimes get on the mat to work out with one of the students (only one - Carlos, you dog...) we all used to turn around and face the other way. I mean I would rather have taken Seagal Sensei's Irimi-Nage than have had him catch me looking at his wife, and THEN have to take his irimi-nage! Ya know what I mean?

Mashu
08-24-2005, 05:21 PM
Watch the movie? Heck, when we used to train up at the ranch or at the dojo, she would sometimes get on the mat to work out with one of the students (only one - Carlos, you dog...) we all used to turn around and face the other way. I mean I would rather have taken Seagal Sensei's Irimi-Nage than have had him catch me looking at his wife, and THEN have to take his irimi-nage! Ya know what I mean?

I can see how that would be contra-indicated. :)

Blake Newman
08-24-2005, 06:25 PM
I think it's great. I'll buy Take Sensei's drink by the truck load and laugh in your face when I have "wings" :do: I'd make a drink too if I had the marketing capability to push it.........

Erik
08-24-2005, 06:50 PM

No doubt his svelte, fit, frame will help too.

Could be worse though, Kevin Trudeau, good friend of the FTC, has a top 10 best seller. Stevo is a lightweight, from a certain perspective, compared to him.

http://www.quackwatch.org/02ConsumerProtection/FTCActions/trudeau.html

Akhilleus
08-24-2005, 09:04 PM
Anyone notice that Aikido is the only capitalized MA where it states what he has practised?

http://www.lightningdrink.com/steven/learnmore.html

happysod
08-25-2005, 03:13 AM
At least wait until you try it before you criticize it, the manufacturer, the creator, or the spokesman... or is that a bit too much to ask? far too much to ask, I cherish the interknitting thing as a medium fit for my own personal brand of short-sightedness, conclusion jumping, ranting and even irrational arguing.

Having said that, if you don't want criticism, deliberately putting yourself in the public eye with such gay abandon is a strange way to avoid it - and you have to admit the ad itself is just cheesy.

Ron, yes you pedantic little multi-martialist, I did mean the kiai-atrocity (wanders off muttering about show-offs that actually get things right...)

Kyudos
08-25-2005, 05:57 AM
The true revelation is in this URL:

http://www.lightningdrink.com/features/nutfacts.html

(not the contents of that page, just read the URL!)

;)

Hogan
08-25-2005, 07:05 AM
Sheeeesh!

One might begin to question the intelligence, or at the very least the opinion of someone who, after the fourth, fifth, or even sixth "boring, unexciting, un-ergentic..." DVD, continued on to see a total of a dozen or so......

ahahaha... touche....

But I do watch them for comic relief..... and to see how bad they can get....

Sanshouaikikai
08-25-2005, 02:10 PM
As far as rappers coming out with energy drinks...I wouldn't compare Take Sensei to them. The rapper's just promote the drink as their own but they really had nothing to do with the creation of it...I mean...c'mon!!?!? Fat Joe!?!?!? Yeah...he really made an energy drink alright! lolol! At least Take Sensei is quite knowledgeable in Oriental medicine and herbs...so...it's quite believable that his drink would be a bit more natural and better than the others, you know what I mean? You just have to try it out when it comes out. I know I definitely will!

Michael Neal
08-25-2005, 02:31 PM
Don't you mean 'Kiai-Golf' TM?

http://www.kiaigolf.com/

Best,
Ron :)

OH MY GOD! Not that again :) I had almost completely washed that from my brain.

Aiki LV
08-25-2005, 04:56 PM
As far as rappers coming out with energy drinks...I wouldn't compare Take Sensei to them. The rapper's just promote the drink as their own but they really had nothing to do with the creation of it...I mean...c'mon!!?!? Fat Joe!?!?!? Yeah...he really made an energy drink alright! lolol! At least Take Sensei is quite knowledgeable in Oriental medicine and herbs...so...it's quite believable that his drink would be a bit more natural and better than the others, you know what I mean? You just have to try it out when it comes out. I know I definitely will!

I'll pass on trying the drink I don't consume energy drinks. I think they treat symptoms of a larger problem. If people are that damned tired try looking at your health. Something is obviously wrong if you need a drink to give you energy. I know some people really like those things, so I'll ask them what they think once they try it. As far as comparing him to the fore mentioned rappers I don't know him or any of the other people I mentioned in my previous post. It was meant to be funny, not taken so seriously. I have no opinion about him personally one way or the other. You obviously know and respect him that's great! :)

Sanshouaikikai
08-25-2005, 08:59 PM
Oh! I'm sorry for taking it seriously...sometimes things get screwed over when they're written online...I prefer talking in person to people so that they understand me in the proper context, you know? As far as energy drinks...I don't drink them unless I didn't get enough sleep the night before, you know? I'm in pretty good shape and constantly work out and I have a tremendous amount of energy. So...I don't really "need" and energy drink, you know? So...I agree with you there on what you had to say concerning people and their lack of energy, lol!

ad_adrian
08-27-2005, 02:07 AM
i think this drink/deal promotional thing is only availiable in what america?
i know ihave never heard of it here in australia
other wise i would consider the drink only because i want that dvd lol...im having to get one of ebay.
well...its good for the sport it gets ppl into aikido..like it or not for what eva reasons...thanks to seagal we have the popularity it is today

guest89893
08-27-2005, 08:37 AM
well...its good for the sport it gets ppl into aikido..like it or not for what ever reasons...thanks to seagal we have the popularity it is today

I have always wondered about that Adrian? How many people really sought out Aikido or became interested in doing Aikido due to seeing a Steven Seagal movie? Because about the only thing his movies (his older ones any ways) seem to do for an Aikidoka is make it quicker & easier to explain to non-practicing friends & family to the age old question, "what is it you do exactly?"
You answer, "Aikido."
They say, "What's that?"
You say, "What Steven Seagal does in his movies."
They say, "Oh."
end.
Anyone really interested in the MA you do will ask for greater detail, but the vast majority now think they completely understand what you do and that's the end of it...except of course now they have a Hollywood version of what we do. :disgust: :rolleyes:
Oops sorry I'm rambling.
Gene

ad_adrian
08-27-2005, 07:27 PM
well gene..i know for one...after doing boxing for 7 years....then trying my hand at kung fu, i was looking for another martial art and i was watching a steven seagal movie and thought hey..i might look into that.
and here i am.

ikkitosennomusha
08-27-2005, 07:46 PM
I don't consume energy drinks. If you are feeling tired on a contingent basis then look at the amount of sleep and food you have been consuming. If your fatigue is chronic, it could be something as simple as a vitamin deficiency or more serious such as thyroid disease.

ad_adrian
08-28-2005, 02:01 AM
i will consume energy drinks on 2 occasions

1. i am extremely sick and have to work
2. i am hung over and have to work

samiagoudie
08-28-2005, 07:20 PM
Hmmm, WELL , I read this with interest and had a look at the site and suggest others may do so and make their own decisions. for me , I think it is what I would expect. I trained briefly with Mr Steven Seagal and have my own opinions on his moralitiy , and first hand experiences of the lack of it. HOWEVER , people change , thank god , not always , but we can hope this for all beings . As He is now a practicing buddhist , i would hope he has developed some insight , wisdom and compassion. however , change can take many lives .

I hope this for myself and all of us.

Joe Bowen
08-28-2005, 07:55 PM
i will consume energy drinks on 2 occasions

1. i am extremely sick and have to work
2. i am hung over and have to work

There's a difference???? :confused: :freaky: :drool: :hypno: :disgust: :crazy: :dead:

dyffcult
08-28-2005, 11:57 PM
Joseph,

Very little in my book :-)

Brenda

guest89893
08-29-2005, 03:57 PM
well gene..i know for one...after doing boxing for 7 years....then trying my hand at kung fu, i was looking for another martial art and i was watching a steven seagal movie and thought hey..i might look into that.
and here i am.
That's cool Adrian. I think like you there are people who became aware through his movies, just not as much as we seem to give credit. It is possible that I am entirely wrong, except I have no on ewho came because of a Seagal movie.

aikidoc
08-29-2005, 05:22 PM
No wonder they call it lightening bolt-30 grams of sugar. It probably sends you into insulin shock.

Sanshouaikikai
08-29-2005, 07:58 PM
No wonder they call it lightening bolt-30 grams of sugar. It probably sends you into insulin shock.

Whoa!!! I didn't see that! :crazy: Maybe they'll have a sugar free or less sugar option? lol! :D

Chris Li
08-29-2005, 10:02 PM

Your average can of soda runs about 30-40 grams of sugar.

Best,

Chris

Blake Newman
08-30-2005, 06:29 AM
I have always wondered about that Adrian? How many people really sought out Aikido or became interested in doing Aikido due to seeing a Steven Seagal movie? Because about the only thing his movies (his older ones any ways) seem to do for an Aikidoka is make it quicker & easier to explain to non-practicing friends & family to the age old question, "what is it you do exactly?"
You answer, "Aikido."
They say, "What's that?"
You say, "What Steven Seagal does in his movies."
They say, "Oh."
end.
Anyone really interested in the MA you do will ask for greater detail, but the vast majority now think they completely understand what you do and that's the end of it...except of course now they have a Hollywood version of what we do. :disgust: :rolleyes:
Oops sorry I'm rambling.
Gene

Gene, please come to our dojo. You are not too far away.......oh, and please stop and pick up a sixer of Asian Experience.

www.tenshinaikido.com

:do:

Avery Jenkins
08-30-2005, 09:42 AM
Since traditional chinese medicine is one of my specialties, I'll weigh in here with a comment on the Asian Experience thing...

Mostly sugar water, as most of these energy drinks are. Of the herbs it contains, two -- gogi and guarana -- are primarily antioxidants, used traditionally for longevity/vitality issues (makes sense, since most aging processes are the result of oxidative tissue damage). Cordyceps has shown some antitumor activity in vivo, specifically a mouse sarcoma. It does show some immunosuppressive activity. Yerba is actually a South American herb, contains equivalent amounts of caffiene as coffee, but a much higher dose of Vit. C.

Of course, no mention is made of how much of each is in the drink, so my guess it is miniscule, if not positively homeopathic, doses. Cheaper that way.

Skip the Asian Experience. Water will serve you better.

Eric Webber
08-30-2005, 03:20 PM
Your average can of soda runs about 30-40 grams of sugar.

Best,

Chris
I believe that supports the point well. I'd rather have a diet coke and watch re-runs of "Above the Law", remembering back to the skinny days of Steve...

Chris Li
08-30-2005, 03:30 PM
I believe that supports the point well. I'd rather have a diet coke and watch re-runs of "Above the Law", remembering back to the skinny days of Steve...

I always found it interesting that Seagal's weight often gets mentioned, even though there are quite a few well known Japanese shihan carrying about much more fat. Oddly, nobody seems to complain about their weight...

Even among non-Japanese, I could name any number of really huge 6th and 7th dans who never get criticized in public for their weight.

Best,

Chris

Hogan
08-30-2005, 03:56 PM
I always found it interesting that Seagal's weight often gets mentioned, even though there are quite a few well known Japanese shihan carrying about much more fat. Oddly, nobody seems to complain about their weight...

Even among non-Japanese, I could name any number of really huge 6th and 7th dans who never get criticized in public for their weight.

Best,

Chris

I am sure, though, it is mentioned in private.

Erik
08-30-2005, 06:44 PM

Best,

Chris

I wouldn't say "nobody", the last time it happened here all hell broke loose. And, besides, aikidoists always excuse their own.

Nice comment on the Cola. I was gonna do it but didn't. Depending on the size of the drink, 30 grams of sugar really isn't all that much.

Misogi-no-Gyo
08-31-2005, 06:07 PM
Nice comment on the Cola. I was gonna do it but didn't. Depending on the size of the drink, 30 grams of sugar really isn't all that much.
I used to think that, too, but then I decided to check and see what it actually looked like. Given that a sugar packet contains on average 4 grams of sugar, we are talking about 7-1/2 to 10 packs of sugar - PER SERVING!

If you want to see something interesting, start out tearing open packets of sugar and make a pile out of the contents...

Note at what point you either smile, or say to yourself "My lord, that's insane!" Please report your anecdotal findings back here in the thread.

I used to eat low-fat yogurt until I questioned the sugar content and did the above exercise to see what an ounce (28 grams) looked like. I realized that there is nothing healthy about those things, and haven't touched them since...

<rant>
All I can say is "Sorry Dannon and sorry Seagal Sensei, but I ain't buying what the "crocks" are cooking!

For me the whole thing just reeks of another person with so much potential who surrounded himself with bad people and bad management who are full of bad ideas, It is kind of like Mike Tyson when he ditched "Cus" D'Amato, Bill Cayton & Jimmy Jacobs to surround himself with a different management, trainer and promoter, (the preen, clean & dreamer team, as I like to call them) and we all know how that ended up.

In the end he and the others will make a ton of dough, eat a ton of doughnuts and we'll all be sick. Hey at least his kids will still be able to eat, right? Pathetic!
</rant>

Erik
08-31-2005, 07:30 PM
I quote myself,

It's a matter of comparison and I'm not bothered by sugar in the way some are.

Sanshouaikikai
08-31-2005, 08:55 PM
OMG! I can't stand too much sugar, you know? It's rediclous how much sugar content is in a lot of foods out there! You can't even have an iced tea without bombarding your body with 16 grams or more of sugar! It's crazy! I come from a family of diabetics...and though I don't have diabetes...I make sure I work out (which I do often), eat right, and stay away from too much junk food! I also like to use Splenda as a sweetener when I want something to be sweet. If not...I usually just drink my coffee black...or at least with creamer. The sugar content in the creamer is enough for me...not that's its sweet or anything...just for health reasons. Also...I drink a lot of green tea when I'm not drinking coffee...and I just drink that straight up...no sugar, cream, or honey or anything else! That's the way to go, ese! LOL!

Chris Li
08-31-2005, 11:32 PM
I used to think that, too, but then I decided to check and see what it actually looked like. Given that a sugar packet contains on average 4 grams of sugar, we are talking about 7-1/2 to 10 packs of sugar - PER SERVING!

If you want to see something interesting, start out tearing open packets of sugar and make a pile out of the contents...

Note at what point you either smile, or say to yourself "My lord, that's insane!" Please report your anecdotal findings back here in the thread.

I used to eat low-fat yogurt until I questioned the sugar content and did the above exercise to see what an ounce (28 grams) looked like. I realized that there is nothing healthy about those things, and haven't touched them since...

It's also (for comparison) about the amount of sugar in a 12 ounce glass of 100% orange juice.

<rant>
All I can say is "Sorry Dannon and sorry Seagal Sensei, but I ain't buying what the "crocks" are cooking!

For me the whole thing just reeks of another person with so much potential who surrounded himself with bad people and bad management who are full of bad ideas, It is kind of like Mike Tyson when he ditched "Cus" D'Amato, Bill Cayton & Jimmy Jacobs to surround himself with a different management, trainer and promoter, (the preen, clean & dreamer team, as I like to call them) and we all know how that ended up.

In the end he and the others will make a ton of dough, eat a ton of doughnuts and we'll all be sick. Hey at least his kids will still be able to eat, right? Pathetic!
</rant>

I thought about this one for awhile, but I don't think that I'd even accept that as an excuse from my 12 year old. At 12 years old (let alone however old Seagal and Tyson are) you're plenty old enough to be accepting responsibility for your own actions. If they're surrounding themselves with bad people, well, they chose those people. Whether it was his idea originally or not, Seagal must have gone along with the plan, signed the papers, and so forth. That makes it, in my book, his responsibility.

That being said, I don't see anything particularly wrong with marketing an energy drink. Martial artists in Japan have been marketing their skills for money for hundreds of years. Sokaku Takeda did it, Morihei Ueshiba did it, why not anybody else?

Best,

Chris

Aikilove
09-01-2005, 02:48 AM
Chris, Re: the amount of sugar in juice vs. soda. Juice contain mostly a mixture of unprocessed glucose and fructose.
The sugar that are added to a can of soda (mostly sucrose) is anything but unprocessed.
Now, what does that matter one might ask?

Well, our body only have means (ie. enzymes) to handle the right handed versions (as a figure of speech) of the types of sugars (And fats too!). What I mean is, no matter how you try you will never be able to turn and twist your right hand so that it looks like the left hand (all fingers and palm pointing the same way). It's the same with some molecules (that are chiral). The simple sugar molecules that exists are chiral. They come in a left and right handed version. Say that only right handed ones exists naturally (in fruits), then this is what our body can handle. So what happens with the processed (white) sugar? During the refinement a certain percentage transform into the left hand version. Once in our bodies the left hand portion goes to the the liver (instead of being used as fuel in the cells) which transforms it into tri-glycerins (and consequently fat).

What does this mean? Just that the two lumps of sugar in the glass of orange juice are not the same as the same amount in the soda.

Me, I drink a soda occasionally, but I tend to think twice about what I put into my body. (Comes with the profession of being a Ph.D chemist I guess!) ;)

Now, back OT.

Misogi-no-Gyo
09-01-2005, 06:35 AM
It's also (for comparison) about the amount of sugar in a 12 ounce glass of 100% orange juice.
True. However, one is natural sugar, the other, completely processed. I haven't had a twelve ounce glass of orange juice since I was old enough to know how much sugar it contained, and understand that OJ is as much a poison as it is a medicine... more so should you be drinking it every day.
I thought about this one for awhile, but I don't think that I'd even accept that as an excuse from my 12 year old. At 12 years old (let alone however old Seagal and Tyson are) you're plenty old enough to be accepting responsibility for your own actions. If they're surrounding themselves with bad people, well, they chose those people. Whether it was his idea originally or not, Seagal must have gone along with the plan, signed the papers, and so forth. That makes it, in my book, his responsibility.
That was exactly my point; it is his responsibility. However, sometimes it is those that surround celebrities (them's that try to eek a living out of their existence) that come up with these crackpot ideas, and often, in times where contractually they have to do what the marketing team comes up with. The person (these days, really just a product vehicle) might only have a small input on what the final product may look/smell/taste or be like.
That being said, I don't see anything particularly wrong with marketing an energy drink. Martial artists in Japan have been marketing their skills for money for hundreds of years. Sokaku Takeda did it, Morihei Ueshiba did it, why not anybody else?Hmmm... Not sure I buy that at all in this case, as we are not talking about their skills as martial artist, or boxer. Of course, the only wares you can get from the Takeda or Ueshiba marketing team are peddled by the management team over at Aikido Journal, and if there is a hell they are going to hell because of it.

In this case perhaps the drink is about on par with his martial arts skills of late, perhaps not... I haven't seen him in quite a while, so I can't possibly know for sure. However, when it comes to the drink (or maybe the martial artist) I think you might get more good out of the Orange Juice, and certainly a lot less bad.

Blake Newman
09-01-2005, 07:03 AM
God I love sugar. I think I'll go get me a case of Asian Experience, 17 packs of sugar and a straw to snort it. Seriously, who cares if he makes sports drinks, clothing, widgets or whatever. Capitalism and free enterprise are beautiful things and again, I would bet most of you would market different products if you had the means like Take Sensei does. I don't know who he surrounds himself with, so, I don't think it's right to pass judgement on the guy. What makes these people you call "bad" bad? How can you say that without any support, like knowing Take Sensei or who is around him. Anyway, I need more sugar stat! :do:

Misogi-no-Gyo
09-01-2005, 07:50 AM
Blah, blah, blah...

God I love sugar. I think I'll go get me a case of Asian Experience, 17 packs of sugar and a straw to snort it...How is anyone supposed to take you seriously when you start off with that?
Capitalism and free enterprise are beautiful things and again, I would bet most of you would market different products if you had the means like Take Sensei does.Yeah. Sure. Right. You forgot to add Jesus to your list... And in all of those cases, more people have died as a result of them then have been saved by them. So what is your point? As for what I would market, I'm working on a line of designer adult diapers so that anyone who is tot tally full of it can be so, not worry about it, and look good while (sh)it streams out of both ends...
I don't know who he surrounds himself with, so, I don't think it's right to pass judgment on the guyThat's right, you don't, so who is to say that I am not right? I mean look at what has come out with his name on in in the past four or five years (or more) - care to hold any of it up as a guide by which we should measure Seagal Sensei's worth on some level? I sure hope not, as the downward trend would scare the insider traders on Wall Street. FYI - We are talking about the products, not the man, so please lighten up. I am not judging the man, only his products, and that even at a cursory level.
What makes these people you call "bad" bad? How can you say that without any support, like knowing Take Sensei or who is around him.What makes you think that I don't know anyone around him? I could name a few of them, and tell you how bad they are. So what, it wouldn't prove a thing! As I said, contractually, he may have no choice at all, so by no means is any garbage that may have his name on it be in any way related to him as a person. Of course, it may be directly related to him as a person, but hey, I NEVER SAID THAT ...um, you did.
Anyway, I need more sugar stat!Yeah, more sugar, and your blankey, too? Again, we are talking about the product, not the man, so please lighten up. We don't need to have a flame-war over a bad drink. I would much rather have a nice chat over a good drink, that is if you think Jesus wouldn't mind...

Ron Tisdale
09-01-2005, 09:36 AM
:) YOu guys are cracking me up!

Best,
Ron (not buying the drink, don't know the man, so staying out of it)

Ps

See ya soon Shaun!

Mashu
09-01-2005, 03:00 PM
PS is that keiko or geiko after hikari?

I'm going with geiko until someone shows me differently.

My Japanese really stinks!

So does mine but there is always hope and study.

Cheers,

Matthew

Jiawei
09-02-2005, 02:45 AM
Sigh, can they ever stop arguing about Segal ?

I don't like the drink but I have no doubts about his Aikido....saw the documentary already.

The way he moves, his forms seem a bit different. Unique that is. I don't know about the guy's private life, but I sure like the Aikido that I see him do.

Jiawei
09-02-2005, 02:53 AM
http://www.lightningdrink.com/ and
Newswire Release (http://www.prnewswire.com/cgi-bin/stories.pl?ACCT=104&STORY=/www/story/08-22-2005/0004091933&EDATE=)

"Aikido Master and Master Herbalogist Steven Seagal has released an energy drink." I'll let you guys read through the website.

Apparently as a promotion, anyone who buys a 4 pack can send in the UPC and 4.95$USD and get the Path Beyond Thought DVD. Great price for a good video.

Has anyone actually seen this or tried this yet?

Cheers,
Eric

Eh.....so what if it doesn't boost Aikido's popularity ? Did Segal ever make such a claim or is there a myth going around that his whole life has to center around Aikido and nothing else? :confused:

ad_adrian
09-02-2005, 08:57 AM
hmmm
i for one AM a fan of steven seagal...i am aware of his faults that everyone is so quickly to bring out
its like they expect this man to be perfect
or they are jealous of his popularity and how he is approaching things..in the end they'd find a million things wrong with him.

aikido is everymans path..there is no right or wrong way..let ppl do what ever the hell they want

akiy
09-02-2005, 10:17 AM
The posts regarding Aikido Journal have been split off to here (http://www.aikiweb.com/forums/showthread.php?t=8827).

-- Jun

Aiki LV
09-06-2005, 01:33 PM
Why do people call Seagal Take Sensei? A little off subject, but I'm just curious why people are calling him by two different names? I don't know much about him, so if someone could tell me I'd like to know why.

Mashu
09-06-2005, 01:50 PM
He uses the name Take Shigemichi which means something like the warrior who will prosper in the path.

I guess he got tired of Nico.

You can call him Tulku if you like.

http://www.tibet.dk/karmapa_trust/seagal.htm

I guess the Rinpoche liked the donation he got from Nico... err Take that is.

:)

Hogan
09-06-2005, 02:13 PM
He uses the name Take Shigemichi which means something like the warrior who will prosper in the path.

I guess he got tired of Nico.

You can call him Tulku if you like.

http://www.tibet.dk/karmapa_trust/seagal.htm

I guess the Rinpoche liked the donation he got from Nico... err Take that is.

:)

Wasn't his Take name his ex-father-in-laws name ?

tenshinaikidoka
09-06-2005, 02:53 PM
Yes, Take was taken from his in laws!!!!!!

Misogi-no-Gyo
09-06-2005, 05:14 PM
Hmmm, one might say given, as Japanese names are usually given by the family. Of course one can't really know unless one asks.

Kutisake
09-13-2005, 12:18 PM
I don't think that it is good to use aikido for promotion of drinks...though I respect Seagal.So,let's try this drink and see what will be...:)

Hogan
09-13-2005, 03:57 PM
Hmmm, one might say given, as Japanese names are usually given by the family. Of course one can't really know unless one asks.

Well, my name was given to me by my family, too (father & mother). Isn't that how we get our names ?

Misogi-no-Gyo
09-13-2005, 04:09 PM
Mr. Hogan,

My point was with regards to the allusion (possible mis-read) that Seagal Sensei took his name as opposed to it being given to him in the manner in which you have agreed we all get them. Of course, neither of us was there, so I do believe we are only wasting our key strokes.

tenshinaikidoka
09-13-2005, 04:41 PM
I did not mean that he took the name per se, given is a better term, and I apologize if that caused any confusion. It was a given name from his inlaws!!!!

Mike Fugate
09-15-2005, 02:38 PM
Wow!, After reading these posts, I cant believe how much garbage is spouted off time and time again over Seagal Sensei. I mean are we ourselves qualified to put this man or any man under the scrutiny that so many have done to him? I would much rather focus on trying to better myself and work out my rough edges, than worrying about his. As goes for the drink....Well Iono, Ill prolly give it a fair try. Cant judge it until I have tried it. And you never know, it may actually be a lil' better than Red Bull and other drinks out on the market. As with all things,,In time we'll find out. But as I do to all people...I hope the best for his line of products. ;)

Lee Mulgrew
09-16-2005, 04:10 AM
I have seen the path beyond thought documentry, and apart from the occasional sycophantic praise of Seagal ("he is the most loving, great, kind blah, blah, blah") it is a cracking watch! The footage of training and randori is truly excellent. They really don't hold back on the randori, they beat the living s**t out of each other it is great to watch! After seeing the links on this thread I'm not entirely convinced by the ads for his power drink though!

My advice is watch the documentry but avoid the drinks like the plague! (unless that's what all the people in the video were on at the time!) :p

happysod
09-16-2005, 04:45 AM
I mean are we ourselves qualified to put this man or any man under the scrutiny that so many have done to him? Had to respond to this one. Seagal chose to make himself successful in an area where everyone knows both your public and personal life are under constant scrutiny. I fail to believe that anyone is naive enough to think that by becoming an action hero, you will be somehow not be judged, criticized and/or praised by the public at large and especially those who share an obsession with the man (aikido).

All of the negative posts I've read with regard to this man come from his actions within the film industry and well documented "private" life. However, he chose to be a public star and claiming that because his aikido is good, this should mean he is beyond criticism is laughable. Am I qualified to judge? - hell yes, I've bought at least two of his dvds so I'm paying him and I expect customer service (and a decent glossy magazine).

Lee, thanks for the review.

Mike Fugate
09-16-2005, 02:19 PM
Happysod,
You dont sound to happy to me at all, lol. J/k. The only ponit I ever tried to make was that I see so much scrutiny towards Steven Seagal and towards so many othes all around the globe. I would much rather look for the positves in a man, because it is so easy to only see the negatives. I understand that by being famous that you are obviously subject to more attention being paid towards you then before, but I dont think that automatically makes him "deserve" negative comments towards him. Its an Aikido website, not a moral judging web site. :ki:

p00kiethebear
10-10-2005, 11:05 AM
http://www.xoxide.com/lightning-bolt-asian-experiance.html

Is this a real product? And if so, has anyone tried it?

tedehara
10-10-2005, 11:11 AM
Apparently it is for real. Reference thread:

Lightning Bolt, Steve Seagal and Aikido (http://www.aikiweb.com/forums/showthread.php?t=8771&highlight=seagal+drink)

Sanshouaikikai
10-10-2005, 03:07 PM
My myspace page is funny 'cause of my profile picture...well...I think it is at least...check it out at www.myspace.com/sanshou_samurai. You'll probably hate me...most likely not though...if so...oh well! LOL!

P.S.-Sorry for getting off topic!