PDA

View Full Version : Hello!

Please visit our sponsor:

AikiWeb Sponsored Links - Place your Aikido link here for only $10!

Michael Zartman
08-18-2005, 12:35 PM
Hello everyone. Greetings from Northeast Ohio.

akiy
08-18-2005, 12:45 PM
Hi Michael,

Welcome to AikiWeb.

-- Jun

Michael Zartman
08-18-2005, 01:31 PM
Hello Jun,

Thank you for the invitation to join. I very much enjoy reading the member comments in the AikiWeb forums. It is a great learning tool.

Michael

Adam Huss
08-19-2005, 01:20 PM
Welcome Micheal. I'm from the Northwest. Good to see another Ohio boy on the forum!
osu!

~adam

Michael Zartman
08-21-2005, 07:18 PM
Hi Adam--

Thanks very much for the greeting. It is good to get the word out that Ohio rocks with aikido. But what is this about OSU? (I graduated from Michigan.)

Michael

Adam Huss
08-21-2005, 08:17 PM
Haha. Thats actually kind of a running joke at my dojo. Osu is a japanese term similar to say "ooh-rah" that Marines use. There's some debate as to what it means... Anyways, my sensei let another instructor borrow a video and at the end of it "OSU" was written out digitally. The person who borrowed the video is a Wolverine fan, and my sensei a Buckeye fan so he thought it was some kind of joke or something. Anyways...welcome, good training.
cheers!
~adam

Michael Zartman
08-22-2005, 06:54 AM
Adam--

Good one! I found the following explanation of the term "osu" on www.fightingarts.com:

Topic: "O Sensei"

I have heard some Japanese martial arts students address their teachers with "O Sensei," and also "Osu Sensei." Are the two forms of address derived from the same source?

BS

Answer:

Actually the two terms are quite different. "O'Sensei" means a venerable teacher while "Osu Sensei" is an acknowledgment, such as, "Yes Sensei", "I understand Sensei," "Okay Sensei", "I get it Sensei," or "Hello Sensei."

With "O'Sensei" it is a common misconception that the character for "O" is just the alternate pronunciation for the character "Dai," as in "Dai Sensei," which means "big Sensei." But this is not the case. The character for "O" (in O'Sensei) is another pronunciation for the character meaning "Okina" which means "old man," or "venerable." An old Japanese dictionary (gakken kanwa daijiten) says that it is a way of giving respect to an older man. In Japan it is used to follow a name, acting as a suffix. This is the same with such terms "san" and "Sensei." They follow a name.

In the west, however, most people do not say a name followed by a suffix, but instead lead with it. Thus we hear "Sensei" followed by a name and the use of "O'Sensei." The term, however, is rarely used. In the west it is most often associated with the founder of aikido Morihei Ueshiba, but Ueshiba actually copied it from his teacher (daito ryu) Sogaku Takeda.

Osu is a somewhat universal term that is commonly associated with many traditional dojos, especially those in karate. It is a rather course sounding word that is somewhat curt and almost abrasive to some Japanese ears outside the martial arts and other situations. The term is also sometimes used in the military as well as in sports activities, but probably not be used at home or in more formal occasions.

Tadashi Nakamura's book "Karate, Technique and Spirit" explains that "Osu" is a contraction of the phrase "Osu shinobu" and was used in ancient times as a greeting and salutation meaning patience. Thus, he suggests that it is an encouragement to others to persevere.

neko_eyes
08-22-2005, 12:45 PM
hello im from Maryland nice to meet you

Michael Zartman
08-23-2005, 07:21 AM
Hello Jennifer. Welcome to the aikido family. Hope you enjoy it.