PDA

View Full Version : Hi!

Please visit our sponsor:

AikiWeb Sponsored Links - Place your Aikido link here for only $10!

Nyghtewynd
08-16-2005, 09:07 PM
Greetings...I'm just doing some research into tranfering into aikido after a year's background in TKD. I've been kinda turned off from the "brute force" of my current style (as well as being mostly surrounded by children in class), and I've visited an aikido school here in St. Louis and was really impressed. :) I'm going to take my "free week" soon to check into it a bit more, and I'll try to let you know how it goes. Any advice is appreciated. :)

akiy
08-16-2005, 10:07 PM
Hi Darin,

Welcome to AikiWeb.

-- Jun

dyffcult
08-17-2005, 03:05 AM
Well...take the following with a grain of salt...

I myself am most recently returned after a fifteen year absence. No experience in other martial arts, so I will tell you what I hear from others and what I know from my own experience.

In terms of “martial” or street fighting, aikido does work. However, the learning curve does seem to be quite a bit longer.

Yes, it is a “softer, gentler art.” Aikido teaches you to step off the line of attack as a first method. Then control the attack and walk away as a second method. Then pin the rat bastard and cause him pain until he gives up.

Er....I meant control the party until help comes or they give up.

Just teasing. There are a million perspectives in aikido and most are quite good. So train where you feel comfortable, accept the fact that at the beginning things go slowly and pain is a often a consequence, and then love the joy that is aikido.

Brenda