PDA

View Full Version : A Little Thaught

Please visit our sponsor:

AikiWeb Sponsored Links - Place your Aikido link here for only $10!

~RIYO~
08-01-2005, 09:48 PM
Has anyone ever looked at Aikido and thaught of dancing?If you do a technique without a partner it looks like dancing.Does anyone else think like that? :) :D ;)

Roy
08-01-2005, 09:55 PM
kind of like a medieval dance!.

xuzen
08-01-2005, 11:00 PM
Has anyone ever looked at Aikido and thaught of dancing?If you do a technique without a partner it looks like dancing.Does anyone else think like that? :) :D ;)

When I was doing the aikikai hombu syllabus, yes, it looks like dancing. Now that I am doing the Yoshinkan syllabus... it looks like robot.

Boon.

eyrie
08-01-2005, 11:03 PM
More like a stacatto waltz if you ask me.

Sanshouaikikai
08-02-2005, 12:15 AM
I've always thought that when it was done with a partner...depending on the technique....it looks like dancing...but when it's done without a partner...to me...it looks like a weird form of Tai Chi Chuan or Pa Qua...that's depending on the technique...for the most part however...a majority of it looks to me like Kendo or Kenjutsu without a bokken or katana.

sutemaker17
08-02-2005, 12:52 AM
Caitlin,
Yes you are right it does look like dancing. The difference is changing the rythm to break uke's balance just as thier weight is about to settle and then keep it and fit-to,
Just my thoughts,
Jason

maikerus
08-03-2005, 08:28 PM
Yes...but its a Dance of Warriors. :D

PeterR
08-03-2005, 09:36 PM
Shake it out Baby
Twist and Shout ....

Done by Connan the Barbarian

ElizabethCastor
08-05-2005, 07:50 PM
Yeah...

When I first got started I couldn't keep the japanese names for the techniques straight in my brain at all! So as I moved along I MADE UP my own labels: the "squaredance" one (shihonage... I think), the "ginger rogers" one (ikkyo-ura... probably) those two stick out. And they gave sensei a big laugh when I finally told him!

Now, there's the untapped aiki market!!! Sell those floor cloths that show the proper foot placement.... who wants to learn the foxtrot when you could be learning irimi-tenkan :hypno: :D

Nick Simpson
08-05-2005, 08:06 PM
Hey, if I get to wear a cowboy shirt when im doing aikido then im all for it.

Lan Powers
08-06-2005, 02:23 PM
I have done the same thing Elizabeth,
Ura for the Katame-waza (numbered techniques ) was "mow the lawn"....there were a couple of others, but most of them involved curses IE: This ^(($&%'ng one again!! or "That one I can't get right for !!#$ !!
Most of the time the names aren't too hard if you picture the move with the name.
I don't dance, except for on the mat......is that kind of like "slam-dancing"? :P
Lan

ElizabethCastor
08-06-2005, 03:05 PM
Oh man... that reminds me Sumi-otoshi is the "shopping cart" but I can see it as a mow the lawn too!