PDA

View Full Version : Koichi Tohei on DVD?

Please visit our sponsor:

wxyzabc
07-29-2005, 07:45 AM
Hya

Can anyone recommend a good DVD showing Tohei demonstrating regular/or Ki aikido? I understand at one point he was going to leave all his techniques/legacy down on a DVD/video set for future generations....can anyone confirm whether this has been done and is available?

Many many thanks in advance

Lee

Mark Uttech
07-29-2005, 07:59 AM
Onegaishimasu. Check the dvds on www.aikidojournal.com They do have a dvd where Koichi Tohei is teaching a class.

Mark Uttech
07-29-2005, 08:02 AM
I just went to the website and checked. The dvd I am thinking of is "Aikido Classics 1". I used to own it, but gave it away as a birthday present to a friend.

tedehara
07-29-2005, 04:33 PM
There is a 12 video set available in Japanese from Ki no Kenkyukai H.Q. You can only buy the videos as a set for 120,000 yen and 10,000 yen shipping to the U.S. They did not mention what format these videos are in.

This video set includes Kiatsu, Ki-aikido taigi, Oneness rhythm exercise video etc. I assume there are aikido techniques also. These are probably the videos you're writing about.

There might be selling restrictions, like getting your Ki Society Chief Instructor's signature on the order. BTW 120,000 yen currently converts to $1,066.52 USD.

wxyzabc
07-29-2005, 04:49 PM
Thanks for the info Mark and Ted...much appreciated...

Mark..I checked out the clip from the video on Aikido Journal...wow..looks great!

Ted..not cheap eh?...lol

Lee

crbateman
07-29-2005, 08:11 PM
The Ki Society videos are a tough ticket, but are great videos. If you can secure the OK from a Ki Society Chief Instructor for these, you might as well spring for another $200 and get a copy of the book "The Way to Union with Ki". There's no other way you'll ever get one.

The AJ "Postwar Classics I" DVD mentioned above is just about the only other way to get Tohei Sensei on video, and it comes on DVD as well (good stuff). One other thing you might consider are the Maruyama Sensei seminar DVD's available on budovideos.com. Much similar information, from a top Tohei disciple. Click on the "Koichi Tohei" icon on the budovideos.com front page for these.

tedehara
07-30-2005, 10:19 AM
...Ted..not cheap eh?...lol

LeeClark's posting reminded me that Kashiwaya Sensei has test criteria and taigi tapes for sale from The Southern California Ki Society (http://www.kiaikido.org/Resources/Video.html). There are no restrictions on ordering them.

These tapes cover the Ki Society taigi and testing criteria up to sandan. They can be bought individually or in sets.

Lars
08-10-2005, 03:56 PM
there is an old video with Tohei called "Authentic Aikido" its b/h but pretty good
this guy might have a copy for sale:

http://www.aikiweb.com/forums/showthread.php?t=7916

Lyle Bogin
08-11-2005, 08:54 AM
was that tohei video "authentic aikido" filmed outside? has anyone seen that film?