PDA

View Full Version : The Traveller, by John Twelve Hawks

Please visit our sponsor:

AikiWeb Sponsored Links - Place your Aikido link here for only $10!

Ron Tisdale
07-27-2005, 08:41 AM
Has anyone read this book? As an old sci-fi fan, I liked it. I also saw some interesting parallels to historical figures like Onisiburo Deguchi, M. Ueshiba, and others. Any thoughts? If you are not familiar with the book, see

http://www.booksonline.com/bookclubs/bol/TheTraveler/

Thanks,
Ron

Faith Hansen
08-22-2005, 09:52 PM
I read the book about a month ago and I LOVED IT. I can't wait for the next one. I was hooked and couldn't put it down.

I'd have to read it a second time and disect it a little.....could you share some of the parallels you saw?

-Faith

sharonbader
08-30-2005, 12:04 PM
Very entertaining read.

Can't wait for the movie, I wonder who Keanu will play...

I thought it was pretty predictable though. You KNOW Gabriel and Maya will get together and produce little Harlequin Travelers. There will be the big fight against the good vs evil brother the father will make an appearance.

He used a lot of concepts that have been running around about parallel universes, people who live on the grid vs off. etc

I'll bet a lot of people find freedom in the conformity of the grid.

Ron Tisdale
08-30-2005, 12:39 PM
I read the book about a month ago and I LOVED IT. I can't wait for the next one. I was hooked and couldn't put it down.

I'd have to read it a second time and disect it a little.....could you share some of the parallels you saw?

-Faith

Hi guys,

Onisaburo probably would have seen himself as a traveler, with Ueshiba as a harlequin/bodyguard. Especially before the second Omoto incident, which pretty much put a damper on their relationship from what I can see. The interesting twist is that Ueshiba would be a harlequin turned traveler himself. Read some of the articles about Deguchi and Ueshiba on the Aikido Journal website, especially about the trip to Mongolia.

While predictable in many ways, I still liked the book, and will read any sequels. A movie could be good, if they don't get carried away with a lot of wierd graphics and wire work.

Best,
Ron