PDA

View Full Version : Striking without moving in

Please visit our sponsor:

AikiWeb Sponsored Links - Place your Aikido link here for only $10!

Stanley Archacki
07-21-2005, 10:32 AM
Hello,
I am very new to Aikido, not even seventh kyu yet. So far, all of our strikes start out from out of range, and uke moves in usually one step and then strikes. At what level have various people in various dojos started practicing against strikes done without stepping, where uke is already close enough to connect.

I know generally about the principle of ma-ai, and how it is interpreted to mean maintining a safe distance in a hostile environment. If I knew I was getting into a confrontation, I would definitely try to maintain my distance and let the "uke" come get what was comming to them. Yet social conventions complicate this. We often converse with people in striking range, and a seemingly peaceful situation can turn hostile in a split-second.

I appreciate the skills that training from a distance gives me. I don't want to box, or I would do boxing. I know I'm not ready for this advanced training yet: I just wanted some thoughts about when and where it is appropriate.

Thank you,
Stanley

shoshin42
07-21-2005, 10:55 AM
Patience grasshopper.

It depends or your sensei and HIS estimate of your ability. Don't set your expectations on the experiences of others. It is not your job to judge your own aikido.

BTW, say hi to your sensei for me.

Kevin Leavitt
07-21-2005, 11:36 AM
sounds like you are focusing on the right things. Keep thinking about it and exploring it. There are no easy answers that work 100% of the time. Experience will tell you what distances are best for what situation. You will probably spend the rest of your martial career figuring it out! Good luck.

Adam Alexander
07-21-2005, 11:48 AM
My experience has been that the knowledge opens up to me as I'm ready for it...and my Sensei gives me a little guidance if I'm way off.

Practice hard. Practice a lot. It'll come as quick as you can use it.

Stanley Archacki
07-21-2005, 12:16 PM
Thank you everyone for the good advice.
Stanley

Dirk Hanss
07-21-2005, 04:15 PM
Hi Stanley,

Yet social conventions complicate this. We often converse with people in striking range, and a seemingly peaceful situation can turn hostile in a split-second.

I agree on the other posts. Train and see.

Nevertheless you gave the first good advice: If you are dicussing controversally, try to keep distance. It is much easier in Japan though, but you can try to keep a desk/table between each other or other helping tools. But unless Chicago is totally different from other areas, you can train also to be more sensitive to detect changes in mood earlier. But while Aikido can help you even in close situations, if you cannot avoid these situations in boxing distance, you have to stand occasionally the first strikes. If that happens more frequent, you should get some additive training. Not (only) to have more techniques in petto, but more to endure a hard strike or two.

Regards Dirk

eyrie
07-21-2005, 08:12 PM
Simply, welcome them into your space.

Charles Hill
07-22-2005, 06:25 AM
Hi Stanley,

You should read George Ledyand's two part article called Timing and Spacing (I think) on this site. He discusses the things you are asking about plus a whole lot more. In regards to your specific question, Mr. Ledyard writes that he teaches that you should never allow someone within your space without putting a hand on that person. Reacting to an attack becomes much easier. Socially, this is also good, as you will come off friendlier and more caring, IMHO.

Charles Hill