PDA

View Full Version : Unknown technique

Please visit our sponsor:

AikiWeb Sponsored Links - Place your Aikido link here for only $10!

Aragorn
07-17-2005, 01:01 PM
One time some orange belts were doing this weird technique they called "Stir the Soup, Pie in the Face" and they do what the technique name says. it starts out with hand grab (not same side) and the reciever stirs the soup and then pushes the attackers face almost, comes very close, and attacker falls down. Does anyone know the name of that?

Charles Cunningham
07-17-2005, 01:58 PM
Liam,

That sounds like what my dojo calls a direct entry (a.k.a. omote) iriminage from an ai hanmi katatetori attack. However, "Stir the soup, pie in the face" is a charming and evocative alternative name for the technique.

Charles

spinecracker
07-17-2005, 03:18 PM
nicer than 'Stir the soup, kick 'em in the nadgers' in my opinion :)

Then again, this might explain why I'm not allowed in the kitchen.....

It also sounds close to a Shodokan technique called aigamae ate from katate dori (same as the technique described by Charles - good at taking someone's nose off if you're not careful).

Dirk Hanss
07-17-2005, 05:02 PM
Great guys,
by this splendid English name, you found out that Aigamae Ate in Tomiki/Shodokan is the same as Iriminage in Aikikai. Some Ki Society guys or gals telling us it is Kokyunage or Yoseikan for - damned forgot it-

But just read http://www.aikiweb.com/wiki/reference and you have a simple cross name reference.

I admit, it is not always as easy as here as for example the Akikai standard basic Iriminage (tenkan or ura) is much more a 'hug' or 'smooch' nage. ;)

Cheers Dirk

eyrie
07-17-2005, 08:00 PM
I love it! It's a GREAT visual mnemonic for teaching kids a somewhat technically difficult technique. I'm positive the kids will have no problems remembering that - rather than gyaku-hanmi-katatetori-irimi-nage.

As a fun exercise, let's see if we make up some more fun names for kids to remember...

villrg0a
07-17-2005, 10:22 PM
Chicken wings for Kaiten Nage??? :)

Lan Powers
07-17-2005, 10:37 PM
We had a 12 year old who called ikyo ura (well, WE called it ) "mow the lawn" for the final turn and pin. It helped him to remember the pattern of movement quite well.
Lan

eyrie
07-17-2005, 10:42 PM
Romuel, I would have thought that "chicken wing" would be more appropriate for nikyo? ;)

Lan, is that mowing the lawn with a push lawn mower or brushcutting with a whipper snipper? :)

Sonja2012
07-18-2005, 12:50 AM
When I went to my first seminar with Doran sensei in spring of this year, he used the picture of "offering a cup of tea to uke" for a part of nikkyo tenkan - he also pointed out that one should never spill the tea but instead be careful to keep the cup upright. I loved that picture and it works very well to make sure that uke´s writs is under total control all the way until the lever/technique is applied (especially with kids).

Seems like there are quite a few food analogies around :rolleyes: ;)

Dominic Toupin
07-18-2005, 09:38 PM
Great guys,
by this splendid English name, you found out that Aigamae Ate in Tomiki/Shodokan is the same as Iriminage in Aikikai. Some Ki Society guys or gals telling us it is Kokyunage or Yoseikan for - damned forgot it-

Cheers Dirk

In Yoseikan we call it Mukae Daoshi...

samurai_kenshin
07-19-2005, 04:29 PM
We had a 12 year old who called ikyo ura (well, WE called it ) "mow the lawn" for the final turn and pin. It helped him to remember the pattern of movement quite well.
Lan
I always thought the last mothion was a bit more like using a very strange shovel, but that's just me ;)