PDA

View Full Version : More About Saito and Isoyama?

Please visit our sponsor:

AikiWeb Sponsored Links - Place your Aikido link here for only $10!

Yoshiman
05-05-2001, 11:35 AM
Does Saito's Aikido emphasize the use of atemi?

Also, for people such as Mr. Akiyama who have seen both Saito and Isoyama, could you tell me if their aikido is similar or are they quite different?

Yoshiman

akiy
05-06-2001, 08:00 PM
Hi Brad,

I've only seen Saito sensei "in real life" (outside of video tapes and such) but it seems like his approach to aikido does include atemi. Can others add to situations in which Saito sensei uses atemi in his techniques?

I never got to feel Saito sensei at his seminar, but Isoyama sensei did use me as uke at times during his seminar. His techniques are very precise and effective. I wrote a review (http://www.aikiweb.com/about/seminars/isoyama0400.html) of his seminar which should have my experience at his seminar.

It's tough to "compare and contrast" their aikido as I didn't get to feel Saito sensei's aikido. Isoyama sensei's aikido seemed different externally from Saito sensei's, but how it looks is often not an indication of how it feels.

-- Jun

Greg Jennings
05-06-2001, 09:06 PM
Originally posted by Yoshiman
Does Saito's Aikido emphasize the use of atemi?
Almost every technique in the kihonwaza syllabus includes atemi. Most is the middle knuckle protruding kind of atemi. There are some shuto, though.

The middle knuckle strike is mostly done as a quick jab but is sometimes done as a hook punch. Infrequently, the strike is a double strike with each hand targeting a different soft spot on uke.

Also, for people such as Mr. Akiyama who have seen both Saito and Isoyama, could you tell me if their aikido is similar or are they quite different?
I'll have to defer to those with direct experience with both teachers.

Kami
05-07-2001, 03:08 AM
Originally posted by Greg Jennings
Almost every technique in the kihonwaza syllabus includes atemi. Most is the middle knuckle protruding kind of atemi. There are some shuto, though.
The middle knuckle strike is mostly done as a quick jab but is sometimes done as a hook punch. Infrequently, the strike is a double strike with each hand targeting a different soft spot on uke.

KAMI : Those strikes are very similar to the ones in the syllabus of Yagyu Shingan Ryu which, by the way, Ueshiba Morihei Kaiso studied for many years and, I believe, incorporated in his Aikido.
Best

Jon C Strauss
05-07-2001, 08:14 AM
Howdy,

Jun said:
I've only seen Saito sensei "in real life" (outside of video tapes and such) but it seems like his approach to aikido does include atemi. Can others add to situations in which Saito sensei uses atemi in his techniques?

I can, I can! At his seminars in Denver he has shown some arts where nage actually initiates the technique and then does the throw to uke's defense/counter-attack.

Jun also said:
I never got to feel Saito sensei at his seminar, but Isoyama sensei did use me as uke at times during his seminar. His techniques are very precise and effective.

Yes Jun, precise and effective. And very painful--but in a fun way (not really). My experince with Saito sensei is that he feels much more relaxed. He moves and you just go/flow with him and you're not really sure why. However, I can't say that Isoyama sensei was tense or used a lot of muscle. He was just very precise & intense. Yee-owch!

Peace,
JCS
RMKS at CSU