PDA

View Full Version : Iriminage Ura

Please visit our sponsor:

solidsteven
07-12-2005, 07:20 AM
hi

I noticed in our dojo that we only rarely use Iriminage Omote.
I dont really understand why. Because sometimes I just find the Ura version
to be a little out of place
When I get attacked with Yokomen-Uchi I feel more comfortable
with Iriminage Omote, I dont need
the additional cutting-down as in the Ura-waza.
So, why do we need the Ura form?
Whats the Idea of the additional cut?
We use it even if the Uke is already unbalanced.

Would someone please enlighten me?

:)

Janet Rosen
07-12-2005, 11:51 AM
This reply is based on the forms used where I train, which may be somewhat different from dojo to dojo...I'd say that the ura form is needed when the attack intent/velocity is too great for doing an irimi into it, or if the response to the attack is a little late or slow: the ura version allows you to get out of the way and let the attack "work itself out" more. The timing on the omote version is, to me, more critical, needing to really meet the attack at the right time/place or it becomes a clash.
If you are supposed to be practising one or the other, well, you kind of have to make it fit. But optimally, you would do either omote or ura based on the energy of the attack that is coming in.

Randathamane
07-16-2005, 11:40 PM
So, why do we need the Ura form?

You need ura in case he is standing shoulder to shoulder with another foe or there is not enough room, for whatever reason, to get in front of them. If you cant go in front, you must, by process of elimination give way or go behind.

:ai: :ki: :do:

batemanb
07-17-2005, 01:08 AM
It's an option, and it's good to know what options you have.

rgds

Bryan

Rupert Atkinson
07-17-2005, 04:58 AM
Omote is really the main version. Ura begins when omote fails, or when you chose to do it such as when 'space' requires it.

Dirk Hanss
07-17-2005, 05:32 AM
There is the other thread about Iriminage http://www.aikiweb.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1425

They couldn't even agree upon what is omote and what is ura, as in all versions, I have seen, nage is behind uke (ura).

As far as I know, the very direct form, very close to what I've seen as Ai Gamae Ate in Tomiki Aikido (they probably use also the long form) is the original Iriminage. It is straight forward and very effective, but if either uke or nage are not well trained, it is not fun to hang with your throat. in nage's arm.

I was told the versions are called irimi and tenkan, which is weird, too. That means there is an Iriminage, which is not irimi :confused:

Regards Dirk

Mark Uttech
07-17-2005, 05:43 AM
Omote and ura always go together, like up and down, for example. Not only that, but it is useful to keep in mind that there is always more than one uke, and always more than one direction.