PDA

View Full Version : subletting the dojo

Please visit our sponsor:

AikiWeb Sponsored Links - Place your Aikido link here for only $10!

Lorien Lowe
07-09-2005, 12:01 AM
Heya-
appologies if this isn't in the right forum.
Does anyone out there sublet their dojo to other groups? If so, what kind of arrangements do you make?

Off the top of my head, the things I'm worried about are insurance, deposits, and contracts.

Any advice or experience with these or with any facets of subletting would be appreciated.

Aiki Teacher
07-09-2005, 11:14 AM
If you sublet to a different martial art, you may run into some problems. When our group was in another Dojo, the owner would often pull people who were looking into Aikido into his martial art. Often we would never even know these people had come by.

Just something to think about!

Lorien Lowe
07-09-2005, 05:42 PM
Thanks - I hadn't thought of that.

Chris Li
07-09-2005, 05:50 PM
If you sublet to a different martial art, you may run into some problems. When our group was in another Dojo, the owner would often pull people who were looking into Aikido into his martial art. Often we would never even know these people had come by.

Just something to think about!

Of course, the Aikido dojo may well pull in students who come in to see the other art's classes. Everybody trains in the art that they prefer and things balance out in the long run. I've never seen a major problem with it, and it's common practice in Japan.

Best,

Chris

Aiki Teacher
07-09-2005, 10:47 PM
Chris, you weren't in the dojo we were in. It should work that way I agree, but even before my current teacher came to the other dojo, other martial arts teachers were having the same problem.

Chris Li
07-10-2005, 02:51 AM
Chris, you weren't in the dojo we were in. It should work that way I agree, but even before my current teacher came to the other dojo, other martial arts teachers were having the same problem.

A lot of martial arts teachers are sensitive about issues of "poaching", but my experience has been that resisting what is actually a natural selection process is what causes the most problems in the long run.

Best,

Chris

Mary Eastland
07-10-2005, 07:47 AM
We subletted for a while. We had a women who taught Authentic Movement and a man who taught Kung Fu. They each had their own insurance and it helped us pay the rent.

Mir

justin
07-10-2005, 08:00 AM
what about the problem of mat damage or if you have other equipment ect some other arts who have younger students may not pay as much respect to them as your club does, you might need to draw some form of contract up to cover each party

Lorien Lowe
07-10-2005, 05:09 PM
Mary, what was your experience like? Why did you stop subletting?

RonRagusa
07-10-2005, 08:58 PM
It worked out well. Both people were very responsible. They stopped subletting becuase they moved to other areas.

We would not sublet now becasue our dojo is at our house and we don't really need to..
whoops it is really....me.
Mary