PDA

View Full Version : Training/exercises book

Please visit our sponsor:

AikiWeb Sponsored Links - Place your Aikido link here for only $10!

Stethomas
07-06-2005, 05:24 PM
Hi all

I would just like to get myself a copy of a decent book, mainly focused on training & excercises rather than techniques.

Ive come across 1:

Aikido Exercises for Teaching and Training
C.M. Shifflett

But the feedback is not too good on it, can anyone please comment or possibly recommend an alternative.

Thanks in advance!

bkedelen
07-06-2005, 09:08 PM
Not a bullseye, but Ikeda Sensei's "Za" and "Irimi" videos have a huge amount of exercises and drills. More excesses can be found on Amdur Sensei and Waite Sensei's Ukemi videos. I have read A LOT of Aikido books, and never found one that is better at teaching training than philosophy. If you aren't married to Aikido books, check out Joyce Vedral's "Top Shape" for a lot of exercises which can complement your dojo training.

Don_Modesto
07-06-2005, 10:25 PM
Hi all

I would just like to get myself a copy of a decent book, mainly focused on training & excercises rather than techniques.

Ive come across 1:

Aikido Exercises for Teaching and Training
C.M. Shifflett

But the feedback is not too good on it, can anyone please comment or possibly recommend an alternative.

Thanks in advance!

Conventional wisdom these days is that you should ask your teacher for such advice. S/He might want to steer you more toward one author than another.

As to the book above, I love it and recommend it without reservation.

Karen Wolek
07-06-2005, 10:40 PM
I'm with Don. On both counts.

Carol's book was my aikido bible for at least my first year. I highly recommend it!