PDA

View Full Version : Leonard Sensei Interview

Please visit our sponsor:

AikiWeb Sponsored Links - Place your Aikido link here for only $10!

Suru
06-24-2005, 10:15 AM
I just read about the first fourth of George Leonard Sensei's interview. I certainly plan to read the rest, but he said something that I feel is oh so important. He said that in Aikido, we get intrinsic reward, not extrinsic. I think this is paramount because when people receive extrinsic reward or satisfaction (a trophy was the example he used,) the intrinsic rewards tend to fade. This is a psychological phenomenon. I've gotten a few trophies, varsity letters, and so forth, and it felt good to get them, but they are a poor substitute for loving the game, sport, or other activity for its fundamental essence.

I highly, no--higher than highly recommend Leonard's books "Mastery" (he made me realize I'm a dabbler oftentimes) and "The Way of Aikido: Life Lessons from an American Sensei." And if you see Leonard Sensei, encourage him to keep writing!

"Expect nothing. Be ready for anything!" --GL

Drew

arjandevries
06-24-2005, 11:50 PM
which article are you revering to?

Arjan
ps I recomend reading the two books to. The way is easy to read becuase of the anecdotes.

Suru
06-25-2005, 09:03 AM
Arjan,

Click on "interviews" on the left side of the home page.

Drew

doronin
11-14-2005, 02:12 AM
Is the article still available anywhere?

John Boswell
11-14-2005, 09:45 AM
http://www.aikiweb.com/interviews/leonard0400.html

SeiserL
11-14-2005, 03:50 PM
I have been a fan of George Leonard during the human potential movement. Long before I studied Aikido. His earlier work is exceptional too. A highly recommended good read.

doronin
11-15-2005, 06:30 AM
Thanks!!

I enjoyed his "The Way of Aikido" enormously, read it already twice :)
"Mastery" is on the way...