PDA

View Full Version : Budo Taijutsu/Ninjutsu

Please visit our sponsor:

AikiWeb Sponsored Links - Place your Aikido link here for only $10!

Nobleronin4
06-16-2005, 10:02 PM
Is anyone out there familiar with Budo Taijutsu/Ninjutsu? If you have studied please give your opinion. I want to study Aikido but the nearest dojo is 45-50 miles away and the the Taijutsu dojo is less that one mile. The issue here is not only distance but time.

Don_Modesto
06-16-2005, 11:10 PM
Is anyone out there familiar with Budo Taijutsu/Ninjutsu? If you have studied please give your opinion. I want to study Aikido but the nearest dojo is 45-50 miles away and the the Taijutsu dojo is less that one mile. The issue here is not only distance but time.

Budo and TAIJUTSU are generic terms. They don't say much. Ninjutsu I don't know about. But if the people seem mature and skilled, there are always transferable skills to almost anything you do, so when aikido does become available, you'll be hitting the road running--if you decide to switch.

Jory Boling
06-16-2005, 11:14 PM
I trained in Bujinkan Taijutsu in the past. I was looking for something close to traditional jujitsu or aikijitsu to compliment my aikido. Most of the techniques I practiced dealth with taking your opponents center away (just like aikido). I only quit because my aikido wasn't at a high enough skill that I could separate the two. I would love to train in it again at a later date. I feel like a high level of skill in one would make learning the other easier.

But more than that, it comes down to how you feel at the dojo. Do you click? aikido or taijutsu, if you just don't groove with the atmosphere you won't enjoy it ( i guess that would apply to any art- budo or basketweaving).

I hope i made sense.

Jory

p.s. for me, my aikido dojo and taijutsu dojo are both 50 miles away. either way, i lose.

Jory Boling
06-16-2005, 11:20 PM
Budo and TAIJUTSU are generic terms. They don't say much. Ninjutsu I don't know about.

taijutsu is a generic term. He is just referring to the taijutsu that comes from that particular ninjutsu ryu (i'm guessing)

Keith_k
06-17-2005, 01:40 AM
My knowledge of ninpo/ninjustu comes only from reading a few books, so you can take it for what it's worth.

The techniques that I've seen resemble aikijujutsu. The philosophy is budo-ish, but much less emphasis on peace/love/harmony. There may be stealth training, but likely that aspect of the art is minimized. As far as I can tell it seems sound technically.

Chris Birke
06-17-2005, 02:17 AM
Where is Michael Neal when you need him?

mj
06-17-2005, 06:01 AM
Bujinkan Taijutsu is the ninjitsu school headed by the quite famous Masaaki Hatsume - probably the most common school and it carries a good reputation.

Terry Dobson spent some time with him iirc.

It is very propular here in Scotland, in fact at a party last week I spent some time with 2 practitioners from Edinburgh. The techniques they use remind me of Macchiavelli, Musashi Miyamoto and so on. Anything to win or damage and no thought given to the other person.

As they tried to do ever more brutal strikes/locks on me, for the first time I realised that we are what we do, and I realised how much Aikido has changed me and how I see things.

Don't misunderstand, I am not criticising the art. It is certainly effective and does the job it is meant to do.

I guess you take out what you put in :)