PDA

View Full Version : The solution to Aiki Newbie Confusion...

Please visit our sponsor:

AikiWeb Sponsored Links - Place your Aikido link here for only $10!

Joost Korpel
06-07-2005, 01:48 PM
This is a somewhat of a spinoff from the "Beginners with delusions of grandeur" thread at:

http://www.aikiweb.com/forums/showthread.php?t=8269

I think I have the solution to aikido newbie confusion. Its simply caused by the fact they don't know the dojo rules. Ever see those long list of rules at your local pool? You know, the ones that state:

1. No diving allowed.
2. Please shower before you enter the pool.
3. Keep gate closed

and they all end with:

10. Swim at your own risk.

I propose that each Aikido dojo post a dojo warning sign, displayed prominantly next to the Shomen. I'm enlisting the help of all the great folks at aikiweb to flesh out the list of top 100 dojo rules for this sign. .

I'll start us of.

1) Your class instructor is called sensei. He teaches aikido.
2) Shutup and train. If you are not sensei, stop trying to teach your partner, (see rule 1 above).
3) Do not snicker, chuckle or give any outward indication that you find humor in the yudansha tripping on their hakama.
4) Do not complain about your exhaustion from constantly crashing into the tatami. You paid the dojo good money for this experience so enjoy.
5) When dojo mates tell you, "You look dead", they arent refering to your state of exhaustion. Just re-tie your gi left over right.
6) .......

oh yeah, it must end in the proverbial

100) Train at your own risk. :)

Ulises Garcia
06-07-2005, 02:17 PM
6) You are to feel awe at every technique your sensei teaches, and in case of doubts or questions, you must humbly address the Yudansha (do not look directly at their eyes, for you are not worthy), in case your lower intellect doesn't allow you to understand the techniques the first time you see them... :freaky:

John Boswell
06-07-2005, 04:33 PM
7) Never ask your instructor,"What is kokyunage?" You have been warned.

SupremeWarlord
06-12-2005, 06:25 PM
8. no food allowed in dojo. When you are thrown halfway across the room and land in a 3-piece meal from Captain D's you will understand.

Jeanne Shepard
06-12-2005, 06:55 PM
Do not whine, "but I didn't want to work this hard!", or do so at your own risk.

Jeanne

Janet Rosen
06-12-2005, 08:33 PM
When the instructor says "what should we work on today?" never ever say "nikkyo" or your dojomates will despise you forever.....

DustinAcuff
06-13-2005, 12:24 AM
WARNING: If you are in your first month of training ASK NO QUESTIONS!!! Any violation of this rule results in you being uke for the rest of class.

Never ever ever hurt Sensei's favorite uke or you must be his replacement!

xuzen
06-13-2005, 12:39 AM
And rule # 10 (a) states:
Never say sorry, even when your hit connects with uke and he is bleeding. He brought it onto himself... he should have MOVE. It is his fault.
I am serious, people. That is what my sensei said.

Boon.

Jerry Miller
06-13-2005, 12:49 AM
When the instructor says "what should we work on today?" never ever say "nikkyo" or your dojomates will despise you forever.....
Yeah right, just say Yonkyo. It will be fine.

Jim Simons
06-13-2005, 07:54 AM
If sensei demonstrates a technique you've been shown before, be helpful and point out "we've already done that one" as loudly as possible.

Paul Kerr
06-13-2005, 09:42 AM
1. No diving allowed.

That'll do :)

emma.mason15
07-09-2005, 03:10 PM
always make sure complaints of hangover / exhustion / previous late night / sunburn are overheard by sensei

(seriously ... I attended a AM session after finishing work at 0800 after nursing all night .... sensei was VERY understanding! lol)

Tim Gerrard
07-14-2005, 07:04 AM
"That technique doesn't look very effective" is always a good one.

Dirk Hanss
07-14-2005, 09:39 AM
7) Never ask your instructor,"What is kokyunage?" You have been warned.

And I thought kokyu nage is the easiest to explain. All aikido nage techniques that do not have another name are called kokyu nage.

O sh###, I forgot: Sometimes it looks like an ikkyo or yonkyo and it is called a kokyu nage nevertheless.

Sorry, I agree: never ask anything about kokyu nage!!!

Dirk

Yann Golanski
07-14-2005, 09:57 AM
kokyu nage: breath power throw, especially effective after a meal rich in onion and garlic.

What!?....

happysod
07-14-2005, 11:14 AM
correction especially effective after a meal rich in Ki

#12: things you read in a book sometime in a time far far away are NOT relevant to what I'm showing you
#12a: look, I'm serious, shut up
#12b: if you don't shut up about that book we're doing ki all night
#12c: ok class, little Timmy's persuaded me two hours of basic ki tests is a good idea, please express you appreciation
#13: second ki-test is not an atemi, but nice one... Timmy are you alright?

indomaresa
07-14-2005, 01:14 PM
#14. Only be a naughty uke when sensei isn't looking at you.
#15. When an uke is naughty, call sensei and say that you don't understand how nikkyo/sankyo/hiji-jime works ( move behind naughty uke while saying it ). Rinse and repeat until uke repents.
#16. Take acting class.. it helps when you're the favorite uke.
#17. ( Other MAs beware! ) Don't even try challenging, we train with swords, knifes and polearms. You can't win.

Kerry Monument
07-14-2005, 01:35 PM
#18 Never ask " Where do the atemi's go in this technique"
#19 Never ask " Can you show me how to do an overhead" before you can do a standard breakfall.
#20 At a seminar always ask for the technique demonstrated by the visiting Sensei, to be shown again on your favorite Yondan no matter how painful.

Pauliina Lievonen
07-14-2005, 05:24 PM
#21 Never, ever, stick your hand up when sensei asks "who here has strong wrists?"

:eek: :confused: :dead: :crazy: :freaky: :uch:

kvaak
Pauliina

beanchild
07-15-2005, 09:40 AM
#22 Breathe!

Joezer M.
07-15-2005, 08:44 PM
#23 (Please) never ask "But what if I'm facing someone really big... Like... uh... that guy over there..."

DustinAcuff
07-17-2005, 12:50 AM
#24 Never ask sensei about pressure points, especially the ones he shows that don't look effective.

theflyingheadbuttsuplex
07-31-2005, 02:21 PM
#14. Only be a naughty uke when sensei isn't looking at you.
#15. When an uke is naughty, call sensei and say that you don't understand how nikkyo/sankyo/hiji-jime works ( move behind naughty uke while saying it ). Rinse and repeat until uke repents.
#16. Take acting class.. it helps when you're the favorite uke.
#17. ( Other MAs beware! ) Don't even try challenging, we train with swords, knifes and polearms. You can't win.
I like no. 15 :D

emma.mason15
08-27-2005, 08:48 AM
if ever Uke for sensei .... resist ... he will thank you for the work out ...

merlynn
09-18-2005, 10:52 AM
if sensei asks you to do a technique on them do it quickly, if you are not quick enough they will do it to u

emma.mason15
09-18-2005, 12:41 PM
if sensei asks you to do a technique on them do it quickly, if you are not quick enough they will do it to u

hmmmm voice of experiance eh karen! :D

CNYMike
09-18-2005, 08:43 PM
#25 Corallary to #7 and #10: Do not ask Sensei "What is nikkyo?"
#25A: ALWAYS do cool-down stretches after a "nikkyo night."
#26 When you are being uke for a senior student, do NOT try to stand up when you are supposed to be going down. If Sensei sees this, this will inspire him to show how to handle it when someone stands up. (Happened my second or third class last year; I was being uke for ikkyo -- I think -- and tended to stand up when I shouldn't have. Sensei came over and said, "If he stands up, cut down .... " After slamming my former nage into the tatami a couple times, he said, "Hey, I like that!" and had us all do it. Fortunately, us newer people were allowed to use a rear sitfall for ukemi on that one.)

merlynn
10-15-2005, 07:50 AM
if sensei asks you what you have been doing in a previous class (as i do 2 different styles of aikido) don't tell them about your miserable attempts at doing ukemi as they will make you repeat that said same miserable performance

Yossi
10-15-2005, 05:07 PM
NEVER laugh when sensei wants you to be his uke... trust me on this one.... :freaky:

merlynn
10-23-2005, 11:29 AM
NEVER laugh when sensei wants you to be his uke... trust me on this one.... :freaky:

id never laugh wen my senseis ask me to be there uke ,id run and hide behind the bigger students (it only ends in pain if i dont) ps read my aiki blog and u will see why :uch: :dead: :eek:

emma.mason15
10-23-2005, 09:51 PM

HA i laugh in the face of danger!

ohhhh alright ... its more a squeek of panick and some classic martial "Ooph"s!!!
:D :D :D

merlynn
10-24-2005, 09:06 AM
HA i laugh in the face of danger!

ohhhh alright ... its more a squeek of panick and some classic martial "Ooph"s!!!
:D :D :D

lol emmsy i though it would be more like full blow cries of sheer agony :uch: :p :D

erikmenzel
10-24-2005, 04:16 PM
One I like and which might actualy be usefull:

Dont look for coins on the mat, look for 100 bills on the wall :freaky:

emma.mason15
11-19-2005, 05:02 AM
lol emmsy i though it would be more like full blow cries of sheer agony :uch: :p :D

I keep telling ya ....Man in black skirt no frighten me ...!!!!

:( :sorry: :sorry:

emma.mason15
11-19-2005, 05:04 AM

actually .. yeah ... SHOUT that ......
sensei and dan grades will Loooooove you for the challenge! :D :D :D :D :D :D

CNYMike
11-19-2005, 09:43 AM

You will be afraid, Young One. You will be. :)

Karen Wolek
11-19-2005, 03:50 PM
I think Emma and I are soul sisters across the pond from eachother. I said once to a nidan friend, "I'm not afraid of HIM!" (Sensei) And she said, "Well, I am!"

Huh.

Maybe I SHOULD be.

<grin>

Chiburi
12-13-2005, 01:47 PM
Step on the hem of a yundansha hakama...go ahead, I dare you. ;)

MaryKaye
12-13-2005, 03:34 PM
I am somewhat notorious for lying on the mat laughing after sensei throws me, because some techniques just never fail to surprise me no matter how often I see them. "How the &$#^ did he do that?" I particularly love demonstrations which start with sensei saying, "All of you are pushing and straining...as you can see, if I push Mary she just stands there....but if, instead, I just do *this*--" WHAM! So cool!

I have a lot of faith that the yudansha will not hurt me. It's the high kyu ranked people I'm scared of.

Mary Kaye

James Davis
12-13-2005, 05:13 PM
I am somewhat notorious for lying on the mat laughing after sensei throws me, because some techniques just never fail to surprise me no matter how often I see them. "How the &$#^ did he do that?" I particularly love demonstrations which start with sensei saying, "All of you are pushing and straining...as you can see, if I push Mary she just stands there....but if, instead, I just do *this*--" WHAM! So cool!

I have a lot of faith that the yudansha will not hurt me. It's the high kyu ranked people I'm scared of.

Mary Kaye
I thought I was the only one who laughed after getting tossed on my butt! I'm afraid of mudansha too. :)

Karen Wolek
12-13-2005, 08:45 PM
Actually, I'm more afraid of the brand newbies than anyone.

Chiburi
12-14-2005, 12:15 PM
I know what you mean.
The yudansha try to make sure you fall correctly, and know how to catch you if you don't.
The newbies don't know how to do that. They also don't know how much force you should use when they are trying to throw you. They can accidentally hurt you.
Other newbies go on power trips...

Arthur Corbett
02-04-2015, 12:21 PM
I have read about aikido for years, but have never been in a dojo, or taken lessons.
these were still fun to read, some I didn't understand.

JP3
03-15-2015, 02:21 PM

But.... I love teaching nikkyo.... doesn't everyone?

...lol...

Malicat
03-15-2015, 04:16 PM
But.... I love teaching nikkyo.... doesn't everyone?

...lol...

I would very happily do an all nikkyo class! :)

And as for an additional rule, Ask all the questions you like, just recall that Sensei's uke will be your first training partner after the demonstration is over!

barron
03-16-2015, 09:16 PM
When your Shihan or Sensei asks people to work with someone their own age and then smiles in your direction you have a number of choices 1) sit and watch, 2) pick any injury that is believable ... which can be anything if you're past 60, 3) partner up with an 18 to 25 year old and show him that once you get up from seiza (if you can) that you can still move, 4) remain on the mat and readjust your knee brace or 5) combine 1,2,or 4. ( from the old guy in our dojo ) ;)

Janet Rosen
03-17-2015, 11:13 AM
When your Shihan or Sensei asks people to work with someone their own age and then smiles in your direction you have a number of choices 1) sit and watch, 2) pick any injury that is believable ... which can be anything if you're past 60, 3) partner up with an 18 to 25 year old and show him that once you get up from seiza (if you can) that you can still move, 4) remain on the mat and readjust your knee brace or 5) combine 1,2,or 4. ( from the old guy in our dojo ) ;)

:D

Susan Dalton
03-18-2015, 06:38 PM
Don't tell sensei you saw a more effective technique on your video game.

kewms
03-19-2015, 02:20 AM
"What's that ukemi like if you're not as flexible as [uber-bendy yudansha dude]?"

WHAM

"oh"

Physasst
05-08-2015, 09:56 AM
#11 Don't ever ask Sensei for an all suwari waza class. Your fellow students will despise you and plot your demise.
#12 Don't ever tell Shihan, "C'mon old man". Seriously....don't ever do this. I made this mistake once.
#13 If Uke is not playing properly.....breakfalls are in order. Do not hesitate. Do not stop. :ai:

Mike

kewms
05-10-2015, 02:20 PM
#12 Don't ever tell Shihan, "C'mon old man". Seriously....don't ever do this. I made this mistake once.

And lived to tell about it, too!

If you can't set a good example, at least you can serve as a horrible warning?

Katherine