View Full Version : i have a question,/aikido styles

Please visit our sponsor:

AikiWeb Sponsored Links - Place your Aikido link here for only $10!

06-05-2005, 03:13 AM
ok i do aikido yoshinkan....
and i have seen other video clips of other aikido's and other sensei's...
can someone please explain the difference?
i have seen a lot of steven seagal's aikido...his is a lot like yoshinkan...hard and more combat orientated.
eveyrone tells me oh yoshinkan is a hard aikido and its more combat orientated
but i dont know any difference that to me is normal we still concentrate on ki and the way of harmony with everything...and the way of aikido and all that ...

06-05-2005, 03:34 AM
The best way would be to go and experience what other "styles" have to offer.
I see you're in Brisbane. There's Ki-society in West End, Yuishinkai at Griffith Uni and Ipswich, and myself in Gatton. You're welcome to come visit. I know people in Sensei Thom Hansen's Yuishinkai would be happy to welcome you too. There's a few of them on this website. Use the dojo search tool.

06-05-2005, 08:50 AM
There is no way to put into a few words, the differences in styles. Its about the influences, abilities, and focus of the founders. Best bet is to get copies of the Aiki Expo 02, 03, and 05 demonstrations and see for yourself. I personally think here is more similarities than differences, but that's how I personally sort the world.

Janet Rosen
06-05-2005, 07:30 PM
I find a lot of the differences also are in how things are taught. You are dealing with a syllabus, right? Very specific, for where you are at in training, there is footwork and technique you are working on? While in various "aikikai" dojos, there is usually not a syllabus like that. A class of mixed ranks will all work on the same technique, just with different expectations of proficiency. And a dojo in the "ki society" lineage will have part of it's time spent on ki testing. Within each style, how "hard" or "soft" will really vary dep. on the instructor.

06-06-2005, 12:01 AM
One interesting thing is that when you look at other styles - indeed just looking at different instructors within the same style - it is the things that are the *same* that really show what "Aikido" is. Differences seem to be on those things that aren't really core.

I also agree with Janet...a large percentage of the difference between styles seems to be the teaching methodology. That's my usual answer when people ask me what's the difference between Yoshinkan and other styles.

A word of warning...since you study Yoshinkan (and presumably are not way up there in rank yet) many people in other styles of Aikido will see your Aikido and think of it as robotic. Not a problem...its a function of the teaching methodology. Just thought you might like to know.

Of course, its not polite to look back at them and say things like "you look like your always about to fall over". Keep those thoughts inside and follow what the instructor at the dojo you are visiting is doing... ;)

--Michael :cool:

PS...please give my regards to Mori Sensei. He was one of my teachers at hombu before he left for Australia. And one of my students is heading down to see you guys soon for a demonstration sometime in the not so distant future.