PDA

View Full Version : woOOw, I feel good! Ba na na na na na na

Please visit our sponsor:

AikiWeb Sponsored Links - Place your Aikido link here for only $10!

Lorien Lowe
06-04-2005, 05:23 PM
...'cause yesterday and this morning I FINALLY got back to training, for real, after a month and a half off for a shoulder injury. Spent 1 1/2 hours this morning working on tsuki kotegaeshi (with tanto, for fun) with one of my dojo's high ranking yudansha, complete with lots of high falls.

I started some training about a month after the injury, but it was the slow, gentle, careful, cautious training with 'injury tape' to warn everybody because the shoulder was still tweaking every once in a while, and I couldn't do any real stick work at all. Then last week I got sick, and I think that extra little bit of laying off must have done the trick.

thank goodness.

-LK

akiy
06-05-2005, 12:37 AM
Hi Lorien,

I'm glad to hear you're back on the mat! Please be sure to take care of yourself, though. There's not much that is more frustrating than getting re-injured right after coming back from an injury...

-- Jun

Berney Fulcher
06-05-2005, 04:01 PM
Grats on getting better :) Since you had this thread on shoulder injurues going I thought I might slip in....

Is the shoulder seperation injury that I seem to read is common in Aikido where the end of the clavicle is seperated from the joint a bit? I noticed a while back I was having problems havingt my arm torqued behind me in pins (standard 3 palm up pin) and that the end of my clavicle (shoulder side) was sticking up a bit on that side.

Dr. says the joint is irritated, and I shouldn't let people twist my arm behind my back :rolleyes: Anyone had this problem? How long did it last? I'm obviously tapping out very quickly on pins to try to let it heal.

Lorien Lowe
06-05-2005, 09:52 PM
my injury was a 'partial acromioclavicular separation,' and what you're describing sounds pretty accurate. A sempai at my dojo suffered a full separation about a year (?) ago, and his clavicle still sticks up quite a bit (though he says it's gone down since the injury). When mine was healing I could press on my clavicle and squish it back into place a little :crazy: .

I'm pretty stiff today - haven't trained that way in quite a while - but my shoulder's still fine.

Lorien Lowe
06-05-2005, 10:32 PM
second part of your question: Mine has taken about a month and a half to heal, and that with a week and a half in a sling (it was a traumatic, as opposed to a repeditive stress, injury) and then two and a half more weeks with no training at all. You might try laying off of it for a while (if you can stand it) to see if it tightens back up.

Berney Fulcher
06-06-2005, 07:21 AM
Thanks for the extra info! While I haven't stopped training I'm definitely being very careful about babying it. If I have to I will, but so far it isn't causing me a lot of pain during normal movement and rolls/falls.

It's always nice to hear about someone else with the same problem, mutual support group and all that, I really appreciate your information :)

Nick Simpson
06-06-2005, 08:20 AM
Nice one Lorien. I came back after a month off on friday night, I ached a bit on saturday. Its funny how your body gets 'out of the habit' in such a short space of time eh?

batemanb
06-06-2005, 09:07 AM
I've not trained for almost 3 months with a torn groin muscle :(. It's still sore and am starting with the physio this week, but I'm starting back in training tonight as tori whilst still passing up the opportunity to be uke for a bit longer until I get the all clear.

rgds

Bryan