PDA

View Full Version : The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy

Please visit our sponsor:

AikiWeb Sponsored Links - Place your Aikido link here for only $10!

deepsoup
06-01-2005, 03:39 AM
Hi all.

I caught the first episode of the latest (and the last) series of HHGTG on the radio last night, and it was the funniest thing I've heard in ages. Most of the original cast are there, along with some excellent new actors.

Its available online, as streaming audio, from:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio4/hitchhikers

Each episode is up on the website for 7 days following its Tuesday broadcast, so you can catch the episode I was listening to yesterday anytime before next Tuesday.

If you were a fan of the original radio shows, this is unmissable. If you saw the film and thought it was sort of ok, check out how much better this stuff is in its original medium.

So long and thanks for all the fish.

Sean
x

deepsoup
06-02-2005, 04:48 PM
Just me then eh? Ah well, no accounting for taste. :)

mj
06-03-2005, 06:28 AM
When I got the Virgin train home from Skenny you can plug headphones in and listen to it on the trains broadcast system :)

And I have a 1st edition paperback of the hhgttg book.

deepsoup
06-03-2005, 07:08 AM
When I got the Virgin train home from Skenny you can plug headphones in and listen to it on the trains broadcast system :)
Cool. Got to be an improvement on the usual wallpaper jazz.

Neil Mick
06-05-2005, 02:56 PM
It's sort of off-topic, but I think that HHGTG is easily the best movie of the Summer...even better than Star Wars (which my friends rave about...I just don't see what the big deal is).

BenDuckett
06-05-2005, 03:10 PM
I thought the film was ok, but not a patch on the books. Having said that, I would not like to have been the person responsible for writing the screenplay as everyone has their own favourite parts of the book. My favourite part is at the start in the conversation between Prosser and Arthur about the plans for the bypass being on display ("A sign saying Beware of the Leopard"). This was not in the film and disappointed me early on. On the other hand, the signposts on Vogon were exactly the type of thing that made me laugh.
As for the radio series, the BBC radioplayer website is the gem of the web. There are many other programmes - if you haven't discovered it yet look at I'm Sorry I Haven't a Clue. (I know that most people know about it, but if you have been living under a rock for the last 30 years you could have missed it!) Worth the license fee all on it's own. (Not that I have to pay it anymore!)

Bronson
06-06-2005, 11:04 AM
I didn't really like the movie. Perhaps it's because I liked the books so much. The movie departed too much from the book for my taste and I felt a lot of Adam's more subtle humor had to be dumbed down and made more blatant.

Of course I didn't like Star Wars much either. I felt the poor acting, writing, and directing ruined what could have been an otherwise solidly so-so movie :D

I am, however, eagerly awaiting the realese of SERENITY (http://www.serenitymovie.com/). It's the movie adaptation of the short lived tv series Firefly which, imo, is one of the best shows to have ever aired :)

Bronson

deepsoup
06-06-2005, 01:20 PM
I didn't really like the movie. Perhaps it's because I liked the books so much. The movie departed too much from the book for my taste and I felt a lot of Adam's more subtle humor had to be dumbed down and made more blatant.
I kind of agree, but I think the movie was about as good as a movie adaptation was ever likely to be. It started well, but I really think it tailed off with all that nonsense on Vogsphere. The casting was good though, I was surprised how much I liked Mos Def as Ford Prefect.

So how about the latest radio series? Have you checked it out? If you haven't, you should, I'm totally convinced you'll love it.

I am, however, eagerly awaiting the realese of SERENITY (http://www.serenitymovie.com/).
It looks intriguing, but the website sucks. I don't have a very fast connection, so I hate it when they use flash for stuff that just doesn't need it. Life is just too short to wait for all that stuff to download.

Sean
x

Bronson
06-06-2005, 09:54 PM
So how about the latest radio series? Have you checked it out? If you haven't, you should, I'm totally convinced you'll love it.

I'd probably like it. I have the original radio series on tape and I think I've got an old movie version around here someplace. It was super-low budget and the effects were terrible but it was much more faithful to the story.

Is it still possible to listen/download the new radio stuff?

Life is just too short to wait for all that stuff to download.

I love DSL :D

I'd recommend watching the Firefly episodes before the movie. They're available on DVD and the extra features explain quite a bit of back story (like why everyone speaks English and Chinese). Not to mention they are excellent :D

Bronson

deepsoup
06-07-2005, 05:41 AM
Is it still possible to listen/download the new radio stuff?
Yes, each episode is on for 7 days before it gets replaced by the next one right after its on the radio. (At 5.30pm GMT on Tuesdays - about 6 hours from now.)
Follow the link from here (http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio4/hitchhikers/). After the series is done, they're all going to be released on CD, the Tertiary Phase is out already, the Quandry Phase is coming out soon I think, and its the Quintessential Phase that is still playing on the radio now.

I'd recommend watching the Firefly episodes before the movie. They're available on DVD <snip> Cool, I'll look out for them.

Sean
x