PDA

View Full Version : Things that sneak up in testing!

Please visit our sponsor:

AikiWeb Sponsored Links - Place your Aikido link here for only $10!

AikiSean!
05-26-2005, 09:11 PM
Katatori nikkyo...mae nage? Ugh! Snuck up on me, did'nt even know the dang thing exsisted! My question is even in scenarios where Mae nage is part of technique, is there generally a mae nage from a tenkan version(honestly dont remember doing it for ikkyo tenkan)? Really jumbled me up good tonight. Also, what sorts of thing have snuck up on you guys in testings? Surely I'm not the only one!

Jeanne Shepard
05-26-2005, 10:34 PM
I failed the first time I took my 4th kyu test because Sensei asked for a 5th kyu technique. I just went blank from shock.

Jeanne

the slayer
05-27-2005, 01:09 PM
hi, my grading was 4th kyu and i was practicing for shomenuchi kaitenage which is 4th kyu so practicing this on tue he asked for yokemenuchi kaitenage which is a 3rd kyu tecnique :eek: i couldn't get it on tues but love doing this move.before other half of grading yesterday practicing this technique some students where saying he didn't ask for that he asked for shomenuchi so sensei shouts doing some of my other favourite moves iriminage (love doing) shionage tenshinage etc then he says shomenuchi technique then says yokemenuchi kaitenage did it after grading looked at syllabus yokemenuchi kaitenage is on the 3rd kyu syllabus :eek:

MaryKaye
05-27-2005, 03:15 PM
I had shomenuchi kokyunage on my fourth kyu test. Now, I knew I didn't do this throw very well, and when I went down to the Aikikai dojo on open-mat nights and tried it on them, it didn't work. But I figured that was because I was a fifth kyu and not very good at it.

Thursday before my test (I'd been training for it for six months) sensei was watching me do this kokyunage, with a pained expression, and I had a sudden thunderbolt that I was *doing it wrong.* That's why it didn't work. So on testing day I did the throw like I'd seen it for the first time the previous week....but at least it was the right throw.

A couple of weeks later I had the satisfaction of doing it to an Aikikai student and actually throwing him, too. He looked surprised, and so did I.

Mary Kaye

the slayer
05-27-2005, 03:56 PM
i thought i would of got shomenuchi but got yokemenuchi which is in 3rd jyu did get a few shomenuchi moves as well but this confused me when sensei asked for yokemenuchi kaitenage not shomenuchi cause according to the syllabus what we have yokemenuchi is 3rd kyu i was doing my 4th kyu grading