View Full Version : Open expressions

Please visit our sponsor:

AikiWeb Sponsored Links - Place your Aikido link here for only $10!

dan guthrie
05-14-2005, 09:52 AM
Is it just me or has anyone else noticed that action shots usually show uke and nage with bland or slightly happy expressions in mid-technique. Even if uke is landing in a high fall he/she looks either slightly bored or a little bit amused. ;)

I have yet to see a scrunched up (as a friend of mine used to call it ) "hatchet face."

05-14-2005, 11:07 AM
Ya our sensei always told us to have a focused but pleasant face to show good energy, confidence, etc.

05-14-2005, 04:28 PM
I think it's because we are taught that ukemi is supposed to be natural and one shouldn't worry about the fall. If that's so, then why should one have a strange face during techniques?..

On the other hand...I personally use strange faces, yelps, screams, etc. when I am the uke to children or I'm in a silly mood and trying to calm some nage down during a technique...

I believe that on the cover of Kisshomaru Uesiba Doshu's book Aikido that his uke have fairly tense faces that don't remind me much of boredom or a happy expression...plus Doshu looks like he's in an odd mood there to...