PDA

View Full Version : Kata in Aikiken

Please visit our sponsor:

AikiWeb Sponsored Links - Place your Aikido link here for only $10!

FeW PseudoSKIV
05-12-2005, 03:00 PM
How many kata in your Aikido's bokken system?

Ron Tisdale
05-12-2005, 03:10 PM
Solo kata, bokken vs bokken or bokken vs. anything? We have bokken vs tanto and bokken vs jo as well. I'd guess about 4 to 5 solo kata, 6 to 8 bokken vs bokken (3 made up of sets of 10 movements like the kendo no kata), maybe 1 to 2 B vs tanto and B vs jo. As well as several tanto kata (some paired, some solo), several jo kata, several jo vs jo, jo vs tanto etc. Quite a few in all. I'd say at least 20 for all the buki waza.

Ron

JJF
05-13-2005, 01:38 AM
15 aiki-to-ho katas (like iaido) and a vast vast VAST number of paired ken-tai-ken and ken-tai-jo applications of most tachiwaza...

Bronson
05-13-2005, 03:07 AM
Three solo bokken, three solo jo, one paired jo and bokken (same as first jo kata but with the addition of someone attacking with the bokken).

That's it.

Bronson

Aikilove
05-13-2005, 10:12 AM
I guess
7 bokken suburi (solo movements)
20 jo suburi
two or three jokata (31, 13 and possibly 22 kata) + same kata done with partner
4 or so bokken vs. bokken blending patterns
cutting in 4 or 8 direction solo practics (a couple of versions of each)
5 bokken vs. bokken (kumitachi = pared kata)
10 jo vs. jo (kumijo)
3 ken vs. jo awase practices
7-10 ken vs. jo pared kata (called ken tai jo)
I don't mention the weapons take-away, since I don't think that's what you were after.

(I probably forgot about something but it's been a long day).

Stefan Stenudd
05-21-2005, 03:04 AM
At my dojo, we use a system of exercises called aikibatto, which I developed a few years ago. It consists of ten exercises that can be done solo, like iaido, and with a partner, like aikiken.

These ten are "shoden", very basic - an introduction to how to use the sword. I plan to add ten "okuden" (not to be taken too seriously) exercises, sometime soon.

Here is more about aikibatto:
http://www.stenudd.com/aikibatto/