PDA

View Full Version : Aikido movies

Please visit our sponsor:

AikiWeb Sponsored Links - Place your Aikido link here for only $10!

Stone
05-10-2005, 09:27 AM
Are there any good martial arts movies out there (besides the early Steven Seagal movies) that primarily depict Aikido techniques?

Not so much asking about teaching movies, just actual action/martial art flicks that have a lot of Aikido in them...

Just curious....

Dazzler
05-10-2005, 09:43 AM
Don't know much about movies but Wesley Snipes does a fantastic tenkan move in Demolition man to avoid an attacker and then move on.

Well I was impressed anyway :freaky:

Marxama
05-10-2005, 10:23 AM
Wesley Snipes also does a kaiten-nage in Demolition Man, and probably some nice variations in the Blade-movies (although the only one I can remember is an aiki-otoshi in Blade II, followed up by an elbow somewhere.. :D)
Also, I think Sean Connery did some Aikido-stuff in Rising Sun, or maybe some Bond-movie. I've read that he received training from Seagal, but I'm not sure

James Davis
05-10-2005, 11:06 AM
There's a really nice movie called "Second Hand Lions" starring Michael Caine and Robert Duvall. Duvall's character engages in a bar fight with some teenage punks and uses kote-gaeshi and some pressure points in addition to striking. It's not a martial arts movie, but it's still pretty entertaining.

Nick Simpson
05-10-2005, 11:16 AM
Last samurai has some aiki/ju-jitsu techniques in it.

Its not a movie but the playstation 2 game 'Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eater' also has a fair bit of aikido in it.

Dennis Hooker
05-10-2005, 11:20 AM
Spencer Tracy in Bad Day at Black Rock. A one armed vet. Returns from WWII to give the mother and father of a deceased Japanese American shoulder his medals only to find out something happened to them. No a lot of martial action but a good movie and commentary on the times.

also try Red Sun

A tough range rider and a samurai warrior team up to recover the loot from a bloody train robbery which includes a priceless samurai sword. The great Toshirô Mifune is an excellent match for the stoic Charles Bronson.

Ron Tisdale
05-10-2005, 11:51 AM
Has anyone seen this one?

http://www.drawingdownthemoon.com/main/

I haven't seen it yet, but I'm considering getting the DVD...
Ron

bkedelen
05-10-2005, 12:20 PM
There is an interesting Japanese film entitled "Aiki". One of the classic Dr. Who actors did some straight up Aikido on the series (I think he rolled with Anno Sensei in GB). I believe Snipes is a Daito Ryu player although I cannot find his credentials. There are about 1.5 minutes of authentic hapkido in Billy Jack. There is some extreme garbage Aikido and generic Jujutsu tomfoolery in the occasional Star Trek: TNG episode. Obata Sensei is a well ranked Yoshinkanista and appears on-screen every time Hollywood makes a movie in Little Tokyo (Showdown In Little Tokyo, Rising Sun, and other garbage). The film industry is not interested in authenticity nor in utilizing the talents of its actors, so do not expect any good Aikido from cinematography in the future either. Hollywood has even managed to convince Chinese film makers to take what little martial arts was left in kung fu films and replace it with cabling and trick shots. The pseudo-journalists at Discovery/The Learning Channel cannot even put together a reasonable half hour segment on Aikido or Japanese martial arts (time to fire those fact checkers!).

fullerfury
05-10-2005, 02:15 PM
Well it is not Aikido, but has become my favorite martial arts movie since any of Bruce Lee's films. Ong Bak.

samurai_kenshin
05-10-2005, 05:36 PM
Well it is not Aikido, but has become my favorite martial arts movie since any of Bruce Lee's films. Ong Bak.
Hear hear! As far as movies go, I havent seen much except the Last Samurai with a little tachi dori in a few deleted scenes. In a manga (japanese comic book) I saw a page where one guy did something that he called aikido, but since it's a book, I couldn't tell. :(

Jill N
05-10-2005, 06:05 PM
Jackie Chan in "Drunken Master" does a lot of aikidoesque moves- funny too.
e ya later
Jill.

James Young
05-10-2005, 06:42 PM
Jackie Chan in "Drunken Master" does a lot of aikidoesque moves- funny too.

Speaking of Jackie Chan I believe it was in "Young Warrior" that Jackie's character's opponent in the climatic fight scene at the end used a lot of aikido-type (actually I think it's hapkido) joint locks and such against him. Although the production values are definitely old school Hong Kong level, that movie was pretty good too.

Amassus
05-10-2005, 07:38 PM
I hear there is an old movie called 'Budo' that has some aikido in it ;)

Also footage of the old 1980's friendship demonstrations show aikidoka doing their thing.

Ok, both these 'movies' aren't really your typical action/martial arts movie :)

batemanb
05-11-2005, 02:39 AM
There's a really nice movie called "Second Hand Lions" starring Michael Caine and Robert Duvall. Duvall's character engages in a bar fight with some teenage punks and uses kote-gaeshi and some pressure points in addition to striking. It's not a martial arts movie, but it's still pretty entertaining.

I loved this film. Robert Duvall is fantastic in just about everything he does. There's some very key humour in the deleted scenes too ;)

batemanb
05-11-2005, 02:42 AM
also try Red Sun

A tough range rider and a samurai warrior team up to recover the loot from a bloody train robbery which includes a priceless samurai sword. The great Toshir$B!&(BMifune is an excellent match for the stoic Charles Bronson.

I saw this once many moons back when I was a kid. I was recently looking for a copy to buy but have been unsuccessful in finding anywhere that stocks it. Anyone have any leads on a DVD supplier (I'm region free so don't care where from).

regards

Bryan

kironin
05-11-2005, 03:00 AM

Ron

They only seem to be selling a VHS tape ?

Chekov, Chaos theory, Aikido
geez why didn't this get a major release!!!!

:)

Ron Tisdale
05-11-2005, 08:54 AM
oops, I'm so used to DVD I must be VHS impaired.... :)

I don't know why...I thought someone here in the eastern region would have seen it since Waite Sensei was involved...but no Aikidoka reviews yet....

RT

Abasan
05-11-2005, 10:43 AM
If you like ong bak, you should watch beautiful boxer. its muay thai as well, but its about this fighter who fights to get money for a sex change. the story is great, but would you believe it that the fight is even better than ong bak? btw, its based on a real true story.

oh, and the scenes you saw in ong bak. no cables there. he really did those stuff. in front of a press session, he broke a motorcycle helmet with his elbow strike.

And snipes does capoiera not aikijutsu.

ChristianBoddum
05-11-2005, 01:17 PM
My copy of Red sun is DVD , it says ON AIR as brand ,
check www.on-air-video.dk , it also says Studio canal , probably outside Scandinavia.
Product nr. is : 09-0814
best of luck !

Spartandojo
05-11-2005, 03:07 PM
Budo is a martial arts documentary and has Gozo Shioda performing aikido. As to movies, there is a
hard to find movie from the 80's called "The Challenge", starring Scott Glen and Toshiro Mifune which
has some excellent aiki techniques. Also, a Sonny Chiba movie called "The Killing Machine"in which
Sonny plays Shoriji Kempo master Doshin So. Jackie Chan at the end of the "Young Master" is getting his ass kicked by a Korean Hapkido guy(same guy that plays the Japanese fighter in Bruce Lee's "Way of the Dragon) but you need to see the HK version with the extented fight scene.
Dino K.

justinc
05-12-2005, 12:12 AM
That Hapkido guy would be Ji Han Jae, one of the original students of the founder of Hapkido, Young Sool Choi.

Kevin Kelly
05-14-2005, 05:26 PM

Ron

I've seen it. It's a very low budget movie, but it is ok. The main character of the movie is a witch, as in wicca. She does a little aikido when attacked by thugs.

batemanb
05-15-2005, 02:19 AM
My copy of Red sun is DVD , it says ON AIR as brand ,
check www.on-air-video.dk , it also says Studio canal , probably outside Scandinavia.
Product nr. is : 09-0814
best of luck !

Thanks Christian,

I just found it at play.com (they didn't have it before) for 5 quid :)

http://www.play.com/play247.asp?pa=srmr&page=title&r=R2&title=173223

regards

Bryan

webbsj
05-15-2005, 01:10 PM
The main character in the live action version of The Guyver (IMDB) (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0101988/) studies Aikido, and the film even has a small in-dojo training scene, including a female instructor.

Yes, I've seen a lot of bad movies.

MM
05-17-2005, 06:55 PM
I remember seeing Kathleen Turner in V.I. Warshawski. Her character mentions that she studies aikido. Can't recall the movie very well, but I think she does some basic techniques.

Undercover Blues stars Dennis Quaid and Kathleen Turner and has some aikido elements/moves in it. I thought it was a really funny movie, too.

Mark

Rod Yabut
05-19-2005, 07:00 PM
I'm not sure of a movie but I did recognize a randori sequence in one CSI: NY episode. This thug was hiding in a dumpster and jumped out when Gary Sinise opened it. He tried to grab Sinise with two hands then ryokatatori kokuynage towards the wall happened. He re-attacked yokomenuchi-ish and Sinise did an crude iikyo and reversed it w/ a kotegaeshi and pin.

Like I said, it was crude...but it got me off the couch and staring at the tv

inframan
06-20-2011, 01:03 PM
I'll resurrect this old thread to add a couple more:

The Power of Aikido, starring Sonny Chiba and his little brother as Morihei Ueshiba. I haven't seen it but I've heard its almost all karate action. Don't know if there's an offical release, all I can find online is a Red Sun bootleg.

Hapkido, Angela Mao, Sammo Hung and Carter Wong, http://www.kungfucinema.com/review-hapkido-1972-15866 it was available in the UK under the Hong Kong Legends label, a lot of those are being re-released so hopefully it will be available again.

Yong Master it was already listed in this thread but I just thought I'd point out that in the uncut version the final (hakpkido) fight plays longer. The older releases were cut but the 20th Century Fox version is the full film.

zivk
06-21-2011, 01:04 AM
Masterblaster - a 1987 thriller, with Yoshimitsu Yamada sensei as Mr. Yamada, "The Shadow Warrior".
Actually I didn't see the movie. I only saw this short youtube video (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8WgILmO5hMA). Check out 1:08. It seems promising having Yamada sensei in a movie. I hope I'll be able to see it sometime.

Here's a link to a review (http://www.comeuppancereviews.com/2011/02/masterblaster-1987.html) of the movie.

Sacha Cloetens
06-21-2011, 05:45 AM
Some nice scenes in " After the rain"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wE8QNT_vmvI
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cHo8lCA65dQ&NR=1

enjoy
Sacha

lbb
06-21-2011, 07:27 AM
It seems promising having Yamada sensei in a movie. I hope I'll be able to see it sometime.

You're joking, right?

Anjisan
06-21-2011, 12:05 PM
I would have to say Seagal sensei's The Path Beyond Thought is very good and is not a teaching movie--worth checking out. Most of it is on Youtube. Also, I believe that even though it is mostly Kali/Escrima, the Bourne movies have some really good fight sequences in them. I find it fairly easy to incorporate Kali into my Aikido due to the passing and fluidity, nice compliment.

Adam Huss
06-21-2011, 01:11 PM
I'll second The Challenge and encourage people to try and seek it out. Its a good flick all around.

Gross Pointe Blank has one aikido technique in it when they are at the progtagonist's old high school and he is grabbed from behind by an old class mate.

I remember the Guyver scene. What a crappy movie, lol.

The main actor from the television show Burn Notice is some level of yudansha in aikido. I think he trained at New York Aikikai. He did an indie film that featured a lot of aikido. I think it was actually about someone who trained in aikido to overcome some sort of hardship in their life. Not sure, never saw it and have no idea how to track it down.

The Last Samurai has aikido in it. Hell, even the scene where they are doing kumitachi sets look very similar to the kumitachi I was taught by my "aikikai" style teacher.

Shadowfax
06-21-2011, 01:22 PM
I spotted a shihonage in one of the battle scenes in The Chronicles of Narnia, Voyage of the Dawn Treader.:D

dps
06-21-2011, 02:46 PM
The main actor from the television show Burn Notice is some level of yudansha in aikido. I think he trained at New York Aikikai. He did an indie film that featured a lot of aikido. I think it was actually about someone who trained in aikido to overcome some sort of hardship in their life. Not sure, never saw it and have no idea how to track it down.

Was it,

Throwing Down (1996)
http://movies.yahoo.com/movie/1809404031/info

dps

Janet Rosen
06-21-2011, 05:01 PM
Not a movie but a live performance I saw in 2000 at ACT in San Francisco: a production of Sam Shepard's "The Late Henry Moss" starring James Gammon, Woody Harrelson, Cheech Marin, Nick Nolte, Sean Penn and Sheila Tousey. Penn did a textbook perfect looking kotegaishe - I don't remember on which actor! - to bring him down. Utterly floored me! (no pun intended)

sorokod
06-21-2011, 05:48 PM
"Family Guy" gets my vote. I think Peter trained in Hombu for a while.

Dave Gallagher
06-21-2011, 10:06 PM
This was mentioned earlier in this thread and I did a youtube search for "Aiki" and I found this but I don't know anything about it. It looks a bit hokey but after all, it's a movie.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p2U8jt_xXJ4&feature=related

Chris Farnham
06-21-2011, 11:23 PM
The Power of Aikido, starring Sonny Chiba and his little brother as Morihei Ueshiba. I haven't seen it but I've heard its almost all karate action. Don't know if there's an offical release, all I can find online is a Red Sun bootleg.

It's on IMDB as Gekitotsu Aikido http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0165296/

SteveTrinkle
06-22-2011, 08:21 AM
Kamome Shokudo, a quirky movie about a Japanese woman who opens a cafe in Helsinki - http://www.nipponcinema.com/trailers/kamome-diner-trailer has a little aikido. See her practicing shiko and later catching a thief w/ shihonage. Actually pretty fun movie.

graham christian
06-22-2011, 08:51 AM
I've just read through this thread and thought I'd have a look for my all time favourite Aikido movie.

It starred Scott Glenn and Toshiro Mifune and was called The Challenge.

Can you believe it????? I just checked youtube and there it is .....uploaded only one day ago!

Here's the link and if you havn't seen it I highly recommend it (albeit a bit dated)

http://youtu.be/YFK1ZSVsVkg

Regards.G.

Walter Martindale
06-22-2011, 08:55 AM
The Challenge - yes, 1982. in the credits - martial arts choreography by Stephen Seagal.

graham christian
06-22-2011, 09:02 AM
The Challenge - yes, 1982. in the credits - martial arts choreography by Stephen Seagal.

Yes indeed Walter. I remember once looking up Seagal movies and coming across that fact. I thought to myself that must have been part of how he got into movies in the first place.

Regards G.

Michael Hackett
06-22-2011, 10:12 AM
Laid out on the couch yesterday with NyQuil on board and watched a few minutes of "Conan the Destroyer". In the fight sequence in the hall of mirrors, Conan did a ushiro tekubitori kokyunage and then a judo throw I recognized but couldn't name. In a later sequence he was fighting with his sword and assumed several sword kamae that we practice in our dojo as well.