PDA

View Full Version : Rolls (front and back)

Please visit our sponsor:

AikiWeb Sponsored Links - Place your Aikido link here for only $10!

Aragorn
05-07-2005, 08:59 PM
do you have a favorite roll?if so, which one? Do you think one or the other is more important ? or are they equal?

ESimmons
05-07-2005, 09:13 PM
do you have a favorite roll?if so, which one? Do you think one or the other is more important ? or are they equal?

I'm not trying to be a jerk here, but I think you might want to contribute something if you're going to start a thread. Unless, that is, you have a specific question about something.

With this thread, I just feel like I'm being polled, and Aikiweb already has polls. The only reason I'm saying anything is because you've created a handful of threads recently. I'm not saying your other threads are that bad or anything, either.

Jeanne Shepard
05-08-2005, 12:48 AM
I like cinnamon rolls...especially in the morning with coffee.

Jeanne

Pauliina Lievonen
05-08-2005, 07:57 AM
Like the question. So which one is your own favorite? ;)

My favorite roll is a kind of a backward-forward roll, for no reason, I just like them.

What I most often seem to need in practice (and outside of the dojo as well in the winter!) is a simple backfall...

:D :D to Jeanne!

kvaak
Pauliina

Aragorn
05-08-2005, 08:46 AM
Eric,
I get your point.... I took no ofense
im sorry :sorry:
Regards,
:ai: :ki: :do:

samurai_kenshin
05-08-2005, 01:03 PM
I too like cinnamon rolls.

Aragorn
05-08-2005, 09:46 PM
Me 3!!!

Lol
Regards,
:ai: :ki: :do:

samurai_kenshin
05-08-2005, 10:57 PM
Just a training tip for anyone new to aikido. (I got this from sensei) When you first start. Do one roll, then the next day you train, do two rolls, and so on. This will help you get more comfortable when rolling. If possible, split the rolls up into quarters. Two quarters will be allotted to forward rolls on each side, then the other two quarters will be backward rolls in the same fashion. This also teaches you to balance using other things than the fluid in your ears (medical referance to how humans maintain balance). I prefer high falls, when possible, but that's another ball game!

ChrisHein
05-09-2005, 11:51 AM
I like the roll that keeps me from getting hurt when I fall down, oh yes and cinnamon rolls.

-Chris Hein

Aragorn
05-14-2005, 10:06 AM
I also like cinnamin rolls and High falls...(they're fun)

ikkitosennomusha
05-17-2005, 05:04 PM
I generenally like all rolls as I find them to stimulate organs and improve stamina if done at a rapid rate. However off topic, I am not that great at break falls, where flipping is involved. I can do them but in most training situations I find myself having to flip "myself" and I just have not found the timing necessary to do it smoothly not only to protect myself but to make it look beautiful in the process. I need much more work on that so counting this as ukemi, I will have to make this my fav just because I cannot do it as well. :)

Paul
05-18-2005, 11:23 AM
In my old club when the grading list comes out each grade is assigned a number of forward ukemi per evening you attend.i.e.
6th kyu is free
5th kyu = 100
4th kyu = 200
3rd kyu = 300
2nd kyu = 400
1st kyu = 500
1st Dan = 1000

It has the dual advantage of improving your ukemi and your fitness. So to answer your question forward ukemi are not my favourite type since I was doing 4000 a week for three months.

regards Paul