PDA

View Full Version : Ryoku-dan

Please visit our sponsor:

AikiWeb Sponsored Links - Place your Aikido link here for only $10!

Paula Lydon
05-06-2005, 02:58 PM
~~What does it mean to be ryoku-dan? What is accomplished to arrive at that ranking?~~

Thanks!

jimbaker
05-06-2005, 04:49 PM
A "Rokudan" is a sixth degree black belt.

The requirements for Rokudan varies according to the Aikido organization issuing the rank. The Fugakukai requires 11 years training. Chiba Shihan took 12 years at Hombu Dojo. In most of the major US Aikido groups, it currently takes about 25 to 30 years of training.

Ranks beyond fourth Dan also usually require some commitment to Aikido beyond technique: teaching; promoting the Art; activities helping an organization; running a dojo.

Jim Baker
Aikido of Norfolk

Chuck Clark
05-06-2005, 05:31 PM
Hi Jim,

Of course, rank can be earned by some people in the minimum time, but in my view that should never become the average time that rank is awarded. Some are obviously in better situations for achieving higher rank quicker than others. Twenty-five years of quality practice seems appropriate time for rokudan to me for average training circumstances.

Aragorn
05-06-2005, 05:46 PM
Hi Jim,

Of course, rank can be earned by some people in the minimum time, but in my view that should never become the average time that rank is awarded. Some are obviously in better situations for achieving higher rank quicker than others. Twenty-five years of quality practice seems appropriate time for rokudan to me for average training circumstances.
25 years of training? What??? long time....... :hypno:

Regards,
:ai: :ki: :do:

Chuck Clark
05-06-2005, 06:20 PM
Sorry Mr. Smith, if you're expecting rokudan in significantly less time...good luck to you.

After training for the past 52 years in budo, 25 years doesn't seem like such a long time to me.

rachmass
05-06-2005, 06:59 PM
Most folks I know at 4th Dan are about 18-22 years into their practice. Have met some that got it around 12 years, but that is the exception, not the norm (unless the organization counts practice hours instead of practice days, and promotes as soon as someone has the hours). Chuck Clarks assessment is really about right. It takes time, which is a good thing

Paula Lydon
05-07-2005, 11:04 AM
~~Beyond the consideration of time to rank: What would be expected from a ryoku-dan?

Chuck Clark
05-07-2005, 11:22 AM
A "Rokudan" is a sixth degree black belt.

The requirements for Rokudan varies according to the Aikido organization issuing the rank.

This is the only answer to your question. It entirely depends on the organization and senior teacher that is awarding that rank. I would think the proper place to get the information would be from your own organization.

Stefan Stenudd
05-18-2005, 02:39 AM
In Aikikai, Hombu rules lay out a minimum timeline: 1 year from shodan to nidan, 2 years to sandan, 2 years to yondan, 5 years to godan, 6 years to rokudan. A total of 16 years from shodan to rokudan. Observe that these are _minimum_ requirements.

A commonly applied minimum, in several countries as well as several budo arts, is:
5 years to shodan
2 years to nidan
3 years to sandan
4 years to yondan
5 years to godan
6 years to rokudan
A total of 25 years from the date of starting aikido.
Reaching rokudan significantly faster than this is rare.

In Aikikai the grades from 5 dan and up are recommended only, so there is no testing. The requirements are not spelled out anywhere that I know of. Of course, you have to be practicing aikido continuously, showing improvement - and you have to be recommended by a shihan or a grading committee.

Rokudan is the shihan level, implying a capacity to teach students this do properly - lead them on the way, so to speak. In Aikikai you are not shihan automatically, when receiving rokudan. It has to be applied for, and among the additional demands is that you've had 6 dan for at least 6 years.

What kinds of qualities and capacities a rokudan is supposed to have, apart from the above, I guess I should know, being one myself, but I have no clue. Well, one: It is mainly up to the person having the grade to live up to it, and to figure out how.

samurai_kenshin
05-20-2005, 12:03 AM
Take your time. "When the cloud of haste obscures the path of good judgement, It is best to let the storm pass before trekking forth." I had to put haste instead of anger, like was in the original quote, but it still gets the point across. Did you know it took sensei almost 33 years to become a roku-dan? It took Nate-san about 6.5 years to get to shodan. Don't worry about it, and have a good time at the rank you're at. Remember, rank doesn't automatically equal skill, or the other way around, either...

Nick Simpson
05-20-2005, 06:27 AM
I recently heard of someone attaining 5th dan in three years :crazy:

Dazzler
05-20-2005, 06:35 AM
I recently heard of someone attaining 5th dan in three years :crazy:

Hi Nick

Wow! thats ....unusual. ;)

Where was that?

And 5th dan in what ? Aikido?

D

darin
05-20-2005, 07:45 AM
~~What does it mean to be ryoku-dan? What is accomplished to arrive at that ranking?~~

Thanks!

When I get to roku-dan I will let you know.

Nick Simpson
05-20-2005, 08:30 AM
Hi Darren,

I agree its highly unusual. Check Your PM's. :)