PDA

View Full Version : Iaitos/Katanas in Aikido?

Please visit our sponsor:

Fred26
05-02-2005, 01:41 AM
Just out of curiosity, does any aikido style and/or technique use a real iaito/katana, (for some form of aikido-kata),or is it all bokken?

The only time I remember seeing an aikidoka (on film) using a iaito/katana was during an aikido-show of some sort, but the aikidoka was actually doing a iaido-kata as it was also in the show.

Anyone have any info bout this?

Nick Simpson
05-02-2005, 05:51 AM
Some dojo's do, some dont. Its just down to personal preference. Many dojo use live blades (shinken, ken, katana or iaito) for sword taking techniques. The same with Live tanto for knife taking. The use of live blades in most places is restriced to senior students and dan grades.

samurai_kenshin
05-07-2005, 02:19 AM
never heard of live swords or even iaito used in aikido, bit sensei does keep swords on her weapons racks, so maybe there is some use, though I have yet to see it.

Aragorn
05-07-2005, 08:28 AM
Only weapons i have ever used are wooden samurai swords... (I'm only yellow tho, no experiences)

Regards,
:ai: :ki: :do:

Brian Vickery
05-07-2005, 11:07 AM
Just out of curiosity, does any aikido style and/or technique use a real iaito/katana, (for some form of aikido-kata),or is it all bokken?

Under special circumstances a student is allow to test with a live blade while doing suburi in my dojo.

I used a live blade for the suburi during my sandan test, but that was a personal preference on my part. A bokken would have been completely acceptable to use as well.

The dojo were I train also teaches Shinkendo, and at that time I was active in both arts, so I was used to practicing suburi with a live blade.

I got permission from my sensei to make that substitution, which he probably would not have granted if I were not also in his Shinkendo class. So, I guess that I was the exception to the rule!

Regards,

Amir Krause
05-08-2005, 02:50 AM
Korindo Aikido has an Iai section in it's curriculum, with it's own Kata. When practicing this section we use Iaito. I have seen a senior (8 dan) use a live blade for this practice visiting Japan. I also hope we would be able to afford the purchase of live blades here and practice our cutting work.

Amir

Stefan Stenudd
05-18-2005, 08:12 AM
I would say that iaito or katana can be used in solo exercises, and bokken whenever a partner is involved. That is common practice in the sword arts, as well.

In tachidori, defense against sword, some dojos do use a iaito (sometimes even katana) in demonstrations and gradings. Don't try this at home!

In Sweden, Ichimura sensei had this habit, so it is inherited by his former home dojo KFUM Uppsala Aikikai. They still often do it at demonstrations and gradings. The same for tantodori.

Although I was a student of Ichimura sensei, I am inclined to recommend the use of bokken and wooden tanto - so that students without the proper training don't hurt each other. No need to increase the risk.
On the other hand, it is good to try it, if you are an advanced student, so that you get familiar with the difference in awarenes. But don't tell anyone I said so ;)

James Davis
05-18-2005, 09:58 AM
A few years ago, one of our dojo's senior students was practicing shiho-nage against a yokomen strike with bokken. She was executing technique nicely except for the bokken brushing against her shin almost every time. She didn't seem too concerned with this small detail. Sensei took down a live blade from the dojo wall and handed it to me. Her attitude changed completely. ;)