PDA

View Full Version : Very new to aikido

Please visit our sponsor:

AikiWeb Sponsored Links - Place your Aikido link here for only $10!

Sil
04-28-2005, 12:33 PM
Hello,
my name is Marcelia and i just started practising aikido.
I really love it even though at this point i'm very bad at it
I'm planning on practising aikido for years,and learning as much as possible.
So if anyone has ideas, tips or whatever about aikido, they are very welcome.

DaveO
04-28-2005, 01:10 PM
Hello, Marcelia! Welcome to Aikido and the Aikiweb!

The biggest tip is simply this: Keep in mind you're not bad at aikido - you're just new to it. There's a huge difference. :D
Just show up, practice, have fun and try to learn something new every day. :)

Cheers!

James Davis
05-03-2005, 10:47 AM
Marcelia, don't be too concerned about getting everything perfect on the first try. Everyone had to start sometime; nobody is born a shodan! Just try to do what your sensei asks of you, and don't give up! The only people that can't do Aikido are the quitters! ;) Take care of yourself.

Masakatsu agatsu! :D

maikerus
05-04-2005, 02:21 AM
You got it first off...practice for years :D Not bad for a beginner ;)

Good luck,

--Michael

Krista DeCoste
05-04-2005, 06:15 AM
Hi Sil.

I am new to Aikido too, started in September. I think not bieng hard on yourself and just keep trying are the lessons I am working on. I seemed to have forgotten that last night on the mat, I kept on trying but was feeling very frustrated because I was just not getting it right. Each time I tried but because I was still being hard on myself in my thoughts, it was interfering with my concentration. So this morning I am ready to be easy on myself and keep trying, on and off the mat.

Cheers,
Krista

Jeremy Young
05-04-2005, 11:09 AM
Marcelia:

There is one thing i thought i would tell you that my instructor told me and i have found to be very true. Training with aikido has highs and lows. It is almost like a those heart monitors you see with the rise and fall. You will learn new techniques and you will have that "peak" of wow! these are great. Then the fall as you repeat them hundreds of times and realize that even though you understood the concept...the application is much harder to get down. So you kind of have that "flat" moment of just training and practicing and repeating. Then new techniques! and PEAK! and the same things. But hopefully your peaks will become higher and as a result even your "flat" parts of repetitive training will become "higher" or more enjoyable. So please learn to enjoy the "flat parts" or repetitive training. It took me some time to really understand that. Anyways, that is the best "advice" i recieved when i started and i really hope you enjoy aikido!
Jeremy Young
Tatsumaki Dojo
Springdale, AR