PDA

View Full Version : kokikai -- same motto as Judo?

Please visit our sponsor:

AikiWeb Sponsored Links - Place your Aikido link here for only $10!

gwailoh
04-17-2005, 09:49 PM
Just curious if anyone knows how Kokikai Aikido came to have a motto identical to one of Judo's principles "Maximum Efficiency with Minimum Effort"? Does the founder have a Judo background also, or was it just a coincidence?

Cheers,
Charlie

RonRagusa
04-17-2005, 10:33 PM
Actually it's "minimum effort, maximum effect". And it's not so much a motto as a principle of the Kokikai school. Maruyama Sensei has an all aikido background.

gwailoh
04-17-2005, 11:48 PM
I used motto because it's not listed as one of 4 Kokikai principles, nor as part of their training method, and is not mentioned under their charter. I've only seen it blazened on the front of websites/posters. Just semantics though, how you classify it isn't really important to me. But thanks for the other info.

justinc
04-18-2005, 08:51 AM
This same principle is the core of Hapkido too. All of Yung Sol Choi's first generation students (K.S.Myung, Bong Soo Han, Ji Han Jae et al) all use the Efficency Priniple as a core of their teaching. It's certainly not just limited to Judo or Kokikai.

gwailoh
04-20-2005, 04:38 AM
are 'ki-tricks' (as per Mike Sigman's threads) focussed on much in Kokikai? thanks

RonRagusa
04-21-2005, 07:24 PM
are 'ki-tricks' (as per Mike Sigman's threads) focussed on much in Kokikai? thanks
Maruyama Sensei always used Ki development exercises and tests as a method of teaching us how to:

1. Develop correct feeling,
2. Center,
3. Relax,
4. Keep weight underside,
5. Use the power that comes from focused relaxation without relying on muscle to generate the force necessary to execute the throw,
6. Grow personally and expand our awareness of our innate potential.

This is a much abbreviated outline of his teaching related to Ki development, he had a lot more to say on all of the above. Having not been with Kokikai for the last 4 years I can't say for sure if he's still teaching the same ideas. Sensei is continually growing and his ideas, teaching methods and technique evolve as he grows. Perhaps one of the current Kokikai students who are registered on AikiWeb can post regarding his current thinking.