PDA

View Full Version : Cleaning your bokken.

Please visit our sponsor:

AikiWeb Sponsored Links - Place your Aikido link here for only $10!

AikiSean!
04-08-2005, 04:44 PM
Any reccomendations on how to clean and cleaning materials to use? A fellow student told me Murphy's Wood oil, but if a Bokken has a finish on it what does an oil do? Or am I totally missing the point?

Thanks in Advance.

Jill N
04-08-2005, 10:39 PM
Watch out for the bokken sanitation department. You never know when they might show up and do an inspection.
:)

arjandevries
04-09-2005, 02:11 AM
I never clean it. But I must add I do not use it very often. I do inspect it for splinters though.

Arjan

Charles
04-09-2005, 05:33 AM
I clean mine by wacking it with vigor and against those of my dojo mates.

To just get the dust off, though, I do a simple cut in the air 300 times or so.

Zoli Elo
04-09-2005, 06:23 AM
I use Old English oil after a light fine grain sanding proceeded by a rub down with a course hand towel. The towel removes dead skin which tends to adhere, the sanding removes splinters, and the oil helps protect the "fresh" wood.

ElizabethCastor
04-09-2005, 04:57 PM
Any reccomendations on how to clean and cleaning materials to use? A fellow student told me Murphy's Wood oil, but if a Bokken has a finish on it what does an oil do? Or am I totally missing the point?

Ummmm, if you're totally missing the point isn't that a jo? :D :D :D

David Humm
04-09-2005, 05:01 PM
Ummmm, if you're totally missing the point isn't that a jo? :D :D :D
Not if the bokken is a Shibasen (no pointy bit) :)

siwilson
04-10-2005, 02:57 AM
Cleaning Bokken!!!???

Whatever next!!!

People will be washing their belts!!!!!!

:D

j0nharris
04-11-2005, 02:49 PM
In the past I've used Tung oil, or linseed oil (get the kind with no lead in it!).
I recently received a beautiful jo for my birthday (Yeah, my wife gave me a stick! for my birthday, though it is a very nice stick.
It's a very hard wood, and our head instructor, who does fine woodwork suggested a coat of lemon oil on it.

Cleaning Bokken!!!???

Whatever next!!!

:D

Those blood stains just get so ugly, though!

Bronson
04-11-2005, 05:02 PM
Those blood stains just get so ugly, though!

That's not ugly....that's character :D

Bronson