PDA

View Full Version : Roadtrip!

Please visit our sponsor:

AikiWeb Sponsored Links - Place your Aikido link here for only $10!

John Matsushima
03-31-2005, 07:50 AM
Hello everyone. Beginning April 20th, and over a period of about the next three months, me and my wife will be going on a roadtrip around the country. Some of the places we plan on stopping are Memphis, San Antonio, Santa Fe, San Diego, Los Angeles, Seattle, Boulder, Chicago, Boston, New York, DC, Miami, and many places in between. Along the way, we plan on stopping in and having practice at dojo's here and there. We are looking forward to meeting new people and seeing the different ways that people practice in different dojos, and maybe pick up some bits of wisdom. If anyone would like to recommend their dojo, or know of any that you think we should definiteIy visit, please let me know. I would appreciate it very much. I would like to at least get some points of contact before I go. Thank you and we look forward to meeting all of you!

-John Matsushima

Nick P.
03-31-2005, 09:32 AM
Have room in the car for one more? Soooo jealous!
If your in Montreal (nice drive through the Adirondacks from NYC), look me up; always welcome to stay with my wife and I.

Have fun.

PS - Thinking of keeping a journal/blog? I would love to see it during/afterwards.

Jory Boling
03-31-2005, 09:53 AM
If you come through Tulsa, OK, come see us!
www.tulsaaikidoclub.com

Will you be keeping an aikido travel journal? It would be neat to read everywhere you were able to stop and train (a guide for any more of us that follow in your tracks!).

Jory

Ron Tisdale
03-31-2005, 10:06 AM
If you think you will go through Phila., email me (address in profile) and I'll see if I can hook you up with some good choices. Have a nice trip!
Ron

Tim Heckman
03-31-2005, 10:30 AM
How long are you planning on staying in Chicago? There's so much aikido here, that it's not fair to other places. When you come through, I'll be happy to supply some recommendations.

Clayton Drescher
03-31-2005, 10:32 AM
Don't forget San Francisco, more dojos than you can shake a stick at!

John Matsushima
03-31-2005, 11:51 AM
Thank you everyone for your responses! I will send a message to each of you when I get a chance. Also thank you for your ideas about keeping a journal. I think it is a great idea! I haven't thought of that before. I will start an AikiBlog! What kind of things would you like to hear about? I thought about describing what kind of things the practice emphasises on, weapons practice, size of the dojo, if the dojo is laid back or strict, and any neat tricks I have found to add to my aiki toolbox. Of course, I'll stay away from any negative bashing and try to focus on the positive experiences. Thanks for all your input. I will post again when I have created my AikiBlog.

Regards,
John

j0nharris
03-31-2005, 11:51 AM
Hey John,
If you're going from Washington to Miami, or vice-versa, then your path may go through southwest Virginia, depending on how scenic you like your views. If it does, let us know; we move our dojo training outside druing the sprint/summer when the weather permits.

-Jon

markwalsh
03-31-2005, 12:43 PM
I did something like this in the UK.
Memorable.
Have fun.

Michael Hackett
03-31-2005, 01:48 PM
Hey John,

There are a number of terrific dojo in the San Diego area. We are located in Vista, in northern SD County and close to the freeways. Please drop in and train with us - you'll receive a warm welcome and meet some good folks.

Jory Boling
03-31-2005, 02:46 PM
.... I will start an AikiBlog! What kind of things would you like to hear about? I thought about describing what kind of things the practice emphasises on, weapons practice, size of the dojo, if the dojo is laid back or strict, and any neat tricks I have found to add to my aiki toolbox. Regards,
John

You've covered everything i'd like to read about! thanks and good luck!

BC
04-04-2005, 02:18 PM
When in Chicago, roll in to the Midwest Aikido Center:

www.aikidomac.org

Eric Webber
04-04-2005, 02:33 PM
When you get into Pennsylvania, if you want to swing west of Philly, look up the West Reading dojo, we're an hour and a half west of Philly. You can find the link on the dojo search here on aikiweb, e-mail us and let us know when you'll be in town. Have fun on the trip! :)

Choku Tsuki
04-04-2005, 03:39 PM
Visitors are always welcome at Bond Street (http://bondstreet.org) . We're no longer on Bond Street though; in February we moved into a larger space on 29th (3 blocks south of Madison Square Garden) and have (what I think is) the best mat in the city. I hope to see you on it.

Have a great trip.

--Chuck

P.S. If you can make it to New York City the weekend of June 3rd-5th for our Grand Opening, all the better.

Steven
04-04-2005, 10:40 PM
and many places in between

Hi John,

Depending on your route between L.A and Seattle, Sacramento falls into the "in between" catagory. We're about 6-7 hours out of L.A. and only 2 hours from Reno and 1.5 hours from Lake Tahoe. They both have Aikido schools as well, most noteably Aikido of Reno which I've had the pleasure of visiting.

If you happen to wander our way, you are most welcome to come train as our guests and if not, maybe a bit to eat or something else.
916-989-6023 is our number or info "at" seikeikan "dot" com.

Have a safe and joyful trip.

... Steven

John Houck
04-04-2005, 10:48 PM
Hi John,
You all are more than welcome to train with us at www.tenshinkai.com in Westminster, Ca just south of LA

Brehan Crawford
04-04-2005, 10:54 PM
If you're coming through Portland between LA and Seattle there is a lot of good Aikido done by very friendly people. :D

I'm biased towards the dojo I belong to, of course, but have heard good comments about every other one in the metro area.

Jim Sorrentino
04-05-2005, 08:51 AM
Hello John,

When you get to Washington, DC, please visit us at Aikido of Northern Virginia in Arlington. We are close to the DC subway system, directly across the street from the Ballston station (Orange line).

See you on the mat!

Jim Sorrentino

Peter Goldsbury
04-05-2005, 09:30 AM
Hello everyone. Beginning April 20th, and over a period of about the next three months, me and my wife will be going on a roadtrip around the country.
-John Matsushima

Only around the country? How disappointing. This means you won't be able to come to Hiroshima. Jun Akiyama and girlfriend Kate dropped by recently and sampled some of the local cuisine. After which they came to my house and inspected some of my aikido book collection.

It was good to meet Jun again. The last time was in Las Vegas in 2002 and it does not seem like three years have passed since then.

I remember travelling across North America when I was a student in the US in the early 70s. East to west was by rail from Quebec to Vancouver; west to east was by Greyhound and the contrast was striking.

Anyway, have a nice trip.

Ron Tisdale
04-05-2005, 09:33 AM
Hi Peter...sounds like you need to visit again...this time the east coast!

Best,
Ron

akiy
04-05-2005, 10:56 AM
Hi Peter,

That was just some of your aikido book collection? Folks, the living room table at which we were sitting was piled with such classics as all five Saito "Traditional Aikido" books, Kenji Tomiki's "Budo Ron" (which I never did get to find even through searching through multiple bookstores through the rest of my trip), and so many others that I wish could be on my own bookshelf!

It was great to see you, Peter (has it already been three years since that Aiki Expo?), and Peter Rehse in Himeji as well. I only with I had the time and wherewithal to have been able to train through the trip.

And, indeed, the local cuisine in Hiroshima is something worth remembering.

Do others have any stories of aikido road trips they've taken that they'd like to share here?

-- Jun

wsburm
04-05-2005, 12:58 PM
when you are in san antonio, drop in on us: www.aikidosa.org. we would love to play with you.

william

Larry Feldman
04-05-2005, 05:32 PM
What style do you practice, and are you looking for more of the same or something different?

RonRagusa
04-05-2005, 06:40 PM
You are welcome to visit us in the beautiful Berkshires of Western Mass.
Ron

dekodo
04-05-2005, 10:13 PM
When you get to Miami, please stop over, we would love to have you share some of the things you've picked up in your journey.

Best Regards,

Darren Koski

www.aikispirit.com
info@aikiapirit.com

Bronson
04-06-2005, 03:33 AM
If you travel along I-94 through Michigan on your way to or from Chicago you'll pass right through Kalamazoo and Battle Creek. We've got dojo in both and you'd be welcome at both. If you're heading that way drop me a line and I'll hook you up with directions and schedules.

Bronson

Mel Barker
04-06-2005, 06:33 AM
Hello John,

Your trip sounds like great fun. I've often thought of doing aiki exchanges where I'd put up someone for a week and then they could host me.

Another idea of mine is Aiki vacations. Since I'm in Louisville, I've thought of hosting people around Derby time so they could work out and see the Kentucky Derby.

This year, I've trained in 15 different dojos since I started a job the requires travel. It has been very fun and rewarding.

You are certainly welcome in Louisville, if passing through. I'm looking forward to your updates. Please check my PM to you as well.

Mel Barker

John Matsushima
04-08-2005, 12:23 PM
Thank you everyone for your posts and for your hospitality. I have gotten quite a few messages and emails from people inviting us to various dojos, and I am very grateful. I have begun our AikiBlog called Our Aikido Journey (http://www.aikiweb.com/forums/blog.php?do=showjournal&j=6998) . I have just begun with an intoduction. We will depart for our trip on April 20th, and will make entries as often as we can along the way. I hope to stop by as many dojos as we can, and we look forward to meeting some of you along the way.

-John Matsushima

tacgroup1
04-09-2005, 11:26 AM
Great idea John!

As Bronson mentioned, if you are up Michigan way and have trained in Kalamazoo and Battle Creek, keep heading Northwest to Grand Rapids and we would love to train with you. We have 2 great Aikido dojos here within 5 miles of each other and you would be welcome at both. We have full live-in facilities and you are more than welcome to stay as long as you like.

Aiki on...

www.toyodacenter.com

giriasis
04-09-2005, 02:09 PM
We always welcome visitors. If you stop off in Ft. Lauderdale on your way to miami you can find us at www.floridaaikikai.com . We're located on U.S. 1 (Federaly Highway) between Sunrise and Broward. You can take either the Sunrise or Broward Blvd exits to get to Federal Highway.

In Miami, you will find an awesome group of people at Gold Coast Aikikai www.aikikai.com and Miami Aikikai www.miamiaikikai.com.

rulemaker
04-12-2005, 12:31 PM
What an aikido trip you are planning! I was in the United States last year for two months and my only regret was that I was not able to practice aikido in any of the dojos out there because of my family's insistence that we prioritize all the tourist spots first before I can practice aikido. It was really frustrating to know that I was only a few blocks away from the New York Aikikai, Bond Street Dojo, Shobukan Dojo in Washington D.C., and etc. What is worse is that I actually visited the following cities (Atlantic City, New York City, Washington D.C., Philadelphia, Orlando, Boston, Cincinnati, Indianapolis, Chicago, Los Angeles, and Seattle) during my trip and I never got the chance to practice aikido at all.

Mel

SteveTrinkle
04-12-2005, 07:03 PM
Hello,
Your trip sounds wonderful. I hope you will perhaps post some photos of your trip sometime. What a nice documentary video this would make.

I would like to extend an invitation to visit our dojo if it fits your travel plans. We are in Pennsylvania, about 45 minutes north of Philadelphia. We're a small club and Saturdays are usually the most fun to train. Also Saturdays are when Kirisawa Sensei teaches.

In any event, bon voyage! I look forward to reading about your adventures.

Cheers,
Steve Trinkle
Aikido Kenkyukai
North Wales, PA
www.aikidokenkyukaipennsylvania.org

Janet Rosen
04-12-2005, 10:15 PM
Hi! Well, it is true that there are lots of dojo in and around San Francisco. I would love to welcome you to City Aikido, where I train, and if time permits, to also accompany you to other local dojos.

Qatana
04-13-2005, 09:02 PM
And if you do come to SF and visit with Janet, I will come along,too! And you're also welcome at our tiny dojo in Petaluma, but not after a day in the Wine Country!

Sue Trinidad
04-23-2005, 03:31 PM
What a cool idea!

There are a zillion dojo in and around Seattle, but if you feel like a ferry ride, our dojo (Island Aikido) is on Bainbridge Island, and our sister dojo (Kitsap Aikido) is about 30 minutes away in Poulsbo. Both are full of swell people and happy to have visitors.

Travel safe!

sue

John Matsushima
04-26-2005, 11:35 AM
Hello again, everyone! We are now on our road trip. We already stopped at Memphis and San Antonio, and are now on our way to Santa Fe, NM. We are having a great time. For details, check out our Aiki Blog titled "My Aikido Journey". We look forward to meeting some of you soon! Until next time....

MikeLogan
04-26-2005, 01:48 PM
If in your travels you should find yourself travelling along I-90 In western NY, there are two places you'd no doubt be welcome.

One is a relatively new dojo (aikikai) in Rochester NY, where I train

Another is AIkido of Central NY, a group I recently found to be excruciatingly hospitable :)

and as you mentioned DC, I must suggest my original aikido experience at:
www.capitalaikiai.org It is readily mapquestable from the website, and is a sizeable bunch of good people, at least on weekends.

Enjoy your trip. I will PM you the details of the ny locations.

Smooth roads and high fuel efficiency!

michael.

gabe
05-11-2005, 12:05 AM
When you hit San Diego, stop by Sunset Cliffs Aikido http://www.sunsetcliffsaikido.com/
We are a block away from the beach!

Melissa Fischer
05-11-2005, 01:43 PM
In Seattle, stop in to Tenzan dojo at the Seattle Holistic Center slightly north of downtown. We have classes every day of the year and seminars usually once a month. Nobody's a stranger here!

www.tenzanaikido.com

Ask for Melissa and we'll hit the nearest Starbucks!

If you go to Phoenix, train at Arizona Aikido (ASU/Aikikai) Style

wish I was going...