View Full Version : happo-undo 8-directions.

Please visit our sponsor:

AikiWeb Sponsored Links - Place your Aikido link here for only $10!

03-24-2005, 10:04 AM
Hello Aikido culture; I have been taught that the warmup exercize known as Happo-Undo, the 8 directional movement is symbolic of focusing on the task at hand. Such as methodically going thru the day with purpose and focused intent; get food, pay bills, see taxman,get gas, go to eat,etc... I also understand the foot/hand movements prep the trainee for bokken katas ,as well as grounding for better body movement. So my question to you all in the know is; Do you have any other metaphors or parallel teaching insights for the other basic warm-ups conducted usually prior to training? Example for tenkan might be the door-hinge explaination. Thank you all for any insights you may offer. Daniel.

03-24-2005, 12:20 PM
Well, I know that when O-sensei did that standing exercise where you shake your hands (kind of pumping energy into your legs) he used to keep counting to 10 using the the words that represent 1 through 10 that each also represent things like water, and fire, and earth all the way up to 10. The idea was that it was a prayer in thanks for having all of these things that support humans. It is kind of nice. I admit that I just count to 10 slowly while I shake vigorously.