View Full Version : How do you set the dye in the hakama?

Please visit our sponsor:

AikiWeb Sponsored Links - Place your Aikido link here for only $10!

03-21-2005, 10:26 AM
Hi guys:
I recently received my new hakama from e-bogu. #8000 , 100% cottom blue. I would like to ask If somebody know How do I set the dye in the hakama???. I really want to take good care of it I will appreciate any advice.

Dominic Toupin
03-21-2005, 02:24 PM
Maybe salt or vinegar in your washing machine will help. Do not use any kind of soap.

03-21-2005, 02:31 PM
I don't know if the hakama that you bought is uses indigo dye, but here's an article here on AikiWeb regarding how to set the dye in an indigo hakama.

-- Jun

Sean McNamara
03-21-2005, 02:54 PM
Although it doesn't seem to match up with the article from Jun, I have the #8000 hakama from E-Bogu, and I set the dye using a vinegar bath (1:2 vinegar:water ratio) overnight followed by cold-water rinsing and have never had a problem with it.

I should probably add that I use that Hakama exclusively for Kendo, and have a poly-blend hakama for Aikido, so you might still be able to cause streaking on the mat from ukemi. In our kendo dojo, we wear white keikogi, so any bleeding should be evident, but none has occured.

Hope that's useful.

03-22-2005, 05:18 AM
Thank you guys for your advices. Those were very hepful.
Take care

03-31-2005, 02:19 PM
Maybe salt or vinegar in your washing machine will help. Do not use any kind of soap.

Why no soap? I had trouble getting vinegar and salt to work and am now in the wash-the-hell-out-of-it desperation and intermittent soaking stage, but have been using a little soap.

J. Hohl Kennedy
09-28-2008, 09:23 PM
I recently purchased a 40-kan, indigo-dyed hakama from the Kiyota Company in Maryland (USA). Gorgeous garment and I followed suggestions for setting the dye using white vinegar and sea salt in cold water. Afterwards, I've found that there is lots of white streaks and/or blobs across the garment. Is this the salt? Should I soak it again w/o the salt?

Thank you,

Kent Enfield
09-29-2008, 06:12 AM
Well, did you rinse it?

09-29-2008, 10:21 AM

Here is some info on real indigo dying. I believe now most people just use a crappy chemical process to dye hakama, kendogi etc. making the color kind of weak. Then they fill the finished product with indigo powder, to make the color dark. I think it will just bleed mildly until all of the powder is gone, then it won't be pretty anymore.

Real indigo dying is a different process. I don't think you can "set" modern dyed indigo.

09-29-2008, 11:19 PM
yeah, what chris said. its really not a matter of 'setting' the dye, its a matter of getting rid of the excess.
what i've done was keep the hakama folded (mine's from iwata) and put it in a plastic storage tub, and swish water/mild detergent around and rinse... like 3 times and then hang to dry.

it bled for a few weeks, but now is fine...