PDA

View Full Version : Sore Ankles

Please visit our sponsor:

AikiWeb Sponsored Links - Place your Aikido link here for only $10!

Stethomas
03-16-2005, 10:14 AM
Hi
Im getting sore ankles through a lot of traning, what do you suggest i do ankle rotations already but is there anything else i can do!

Thanks in advance

Tim Griffiths
03-16-2005, 11:19 AM
It depends what exactly is causing the pain. Some possibilities:
1. Sitting in seiza.
2. Rolling, and letting your legs hit the ground hard.
3. Torquing your ankles when you turn.
4. Just being active while barefoot, which you may not be used to in daily life.

Assuming you're not actually doing anything bad to them, then gentle rotations, massage and maybe some tiger balm should help the while you adjust to a different way of moving.

Train well,

Tim

Janet Rosen
03-16-2005, 11:53 AM
If it persists you might want to find out if your foot is otating inward or outward as you move--could be a little gait problem that the aikido is making more obvious.

pezalinski
03-16-2005, 12:50 PM
Do you spend any time weight training? I'd recommend calf extensions and standard squats to strengthen the feet, ankles, and supporting leg muscles. That, along with a habit of stretching out your leg, feet and hips right before class (not just during warm ups), would go along way towards diminishing any pain you might have from overextending undertrained ankles.

maikerus
03-17-2005, 02:23 AM
Another thought is to get into seiza and then go up on your toes, make sure your heels are together and then push your knees forward and then pull them back.

crbateman
03-17-2005, 04:11 AM
If you have access to an asian herbal store or grocery, look for a salve called "dit da jow". Use it at home after practice (or cats will follow you home).

Stethomas
09-30-2005, 06:29 AM
Thanks for this info guys, ankles have been ok up untill now. I noticed on monday night after rolling they were sore again. Im gonna go back to doing some of the training/exersizing methods listed on this post and see how I go on again.

Any other info much appreciated, thanks in advance..