PDA

View Full Version : belly blasts

Please visit our sponsor:

AikiWeb Sponsored Links - Place your Aikido link here for only $10!

garry cantrell
03-15-2005, 12:19 PM
The thread regarding the Pizza Parlor attack made wonder about the effect of fat on atemi. The attacker at the Pizza Parlor had a pretty significant gut and, had the defender elected to strike at the attacker's belly (yeah, yeah, I know - head, neck, and knees are all better targets) - what then? Just a straight ahead tsuki to the belly. Would it hurt more? less? than a similar strike to a more traditionally shaped attacker? Hurt more but incapacitate less? Would he notice?

Slow day at work, as you can tell.

Chris Birke
03-15-2005, 12:31 PM
Less, the fat acts as padding.

Ketsan
03-15-2005, 02:54 PM
You'd probably break your wrist. I've seen it happen.

Bill Danosky
03-16-2005, 08:06 AM
I have heard from heavy people that fat areas are more sensitive than others. I'm not sure if this is really true or not.

garry cantrell
03-17-2005, 09:44 AM
I have heard from heavy people that fat areas are more sensitive than others. I'm not sure if this is really true or not.

and i guess that might be the root of my question. is fat more sesnsitive or is the musculature beneath less developed (gotta be tough to do crunches with a significant belly) - on the other hand, there are plenty football lineman who could take quite a few strikes without flenching - so, does it depend on the individual or can you count on the fat acting as a pad? :D

Yann Golanski
03-17-2005, 10:02 AM
Gladiators (aka "bean eaters") were known to eat a mix of barley and beans for up to a month before a fight. The result of the diet would be that they developed a thick layers of fat over their body between half and a full inch. This is why the images of gladiators are of huge men: they were! This was done to add a layer of armour to the body. A cut would have to be much deeper before it hit something vital -- muscles, nerves, vital organs -- and so the fighter would have a much better chance of surviving the fight.

Lots of smaller cuts (half an inch cut at its deepest can look really nasty) would look bad but would not really harm the gladiator. This would add to the image of the unkillable hard man. Deaths were not common place and a yield would look much better if the injuries looked bad.

In conclusion: fat was a bonus all around as long as it was covering muscles.

Ed OConnor
03-17-2005, 11:00 AM
It might also depend on genetics.

Some folks carry their fat viscerally(under the muscle layer and close to the internal organs). Ever meet a guy with hard keg belly? I know I few.

This BTW is more dangerous to your heart health than having an external flab layer although I draw no conclusion as to which has more "protective/shielding" value. I think I'd rather have rock hard abs.

YMMV.

Peace,
eD

Justin Gaar
03-24-2005, 09:20 AM
I'll just say this, it doesn't matter whether you do alot of exercise and your stomach is as strong as steel, if you get hit hard enough in the stomach. It will hurt. Fat no longer acts as padding. If someone punches him in the stomach it will hurt

Sayonara,
Justin Gaar
:ki:

Kevin Leavitt
03-24-2005, 01:10 PM
It is not the layer of fat that concerns me, but the weight of the individual. Unless you can off balance an opponent, punches are really fairly benign. A heavy person is much harder to off balance many times than a lighter person. I'll let someone hit me as hard as they can all day long in the gut as long as I am balanced, it is when you open them up and extend them off center and then blast through their center that things get interesting.

I have fought a few 300 plus pounders and , IMHO and experience, you are not going to hurt them with a "belly blast" as long as they are standing there looking at you. Frankly I don't know why you'd want to spend your time trying to hit a 300 lb stationary, slow moving target when you can move out of his way. There are much better options usually than this.

Lyle Laizure
03-25-2005, 08:09 PM
IMHO it always depends on the individual. You should never judge a book by its cover.