PDA

View Full Version : cant stop thinking of aikido

Please visit our sponsor:

AikiWeb Sponsored Links - Place your Aikido link here for only $10!

malsmith
03-11-2005, 03:26 PM
i think i might have a problem, i just can not stop thinking about aikido. all of my friends make fun of me and even tell me to just shut up sometimes becuase i just talk about aikido, my dojo, my classmates, my shihan, the latest thing i did at class.... the list goes on. and i cant concentrate in school or on homework or anywhere else cause i just look at people and picture me doing techniques on them in my head!

any comments or suggestions? i seriously have to stop... i mean i want to think about aikido but only when its appropriate to do so.

:straightf

Arianah
03-11-2005, 05:31 PM
Heh... this is familiar territory. :)

How long have you been doing Aikido? The reason I ask is that this sounds like the symptoms of the infatuation that comes with new love. If you are within your first few months of practice, I think it's pretty normal. Trust me, it will wane, but in the meantime, use your energy in a positive way. When I was experiencing the same infatuation (my first year or so), I wrote long journals about my experiences in class, describing techniques, writing out what I did well, what I needed to work on, etc. This focused my energy into a specific medium so I was better able to move my attention to other things when appropriate (and necessary). Journaling may not be your thing, but you can probably find another medium similar to focus your extra aiki-energy. ;)

Take comfort in knowing you're not the only one.

Sarah

malsmith
03-11-2005, 06:05 PM
hey journaling is a pretty good idea! and that is comforting that im not the only one, i have been training for about eight months and i train with one of my best girl friends and she never feels the same way i do so its weird...
but i geuss ill better soon!
thanks a bunch!

Kevin Leavitt
03-12-2005, 10:43 AM
I usually go to bed at night or medidate a few minutes (day dream???) about techniques that I am working on perfecting. That is pretty much a daily thing. I can certainly relate to being consumed by something new and exciting. In the long run, you will probably find that balance and moderation is a good thing. I have the misfortune of not being able to study with more advance people because of where I am stationed with the Army right now...but find it is not all lost as I have lots of time to work on things by myself and mentally. I think it is important to think about it outside of the dojo. Good luck finding the sweet spot between reason and insanity...still searching myself!

Don_Modesto
03-12-2005, 01:52 PM
i think i might have a problem, i just can not stop thinking about aikido. all of my friends make fun of me and even tell me to just shut up sometimes becuase i just talk about aikido, my dojo, my classmates, my shihan, the latest thing i did at class.... the list goes on. and i cant concentrate in school or on homework or anywhere else cause i just look at people and picture me doing techniques on them in my head!

any comments or suggestions? i seriously have to stop... i mean i want to think about aikido but only when its appropriate to do so.

:straightf

Wow. Great responses.

I was gonna say something about you ending up an aikido genius or burnout. "sounds like the symptoms of the infatuation that comes with new love" and "Good luck finding the sweet spot between reason and insanity" cover it pretty well...

Enjoy.

malsmith
03-12-2005, 03:17 PM
wow i hope im a genius and never become a burnout!!!

well maybe not a genius but something better than a burnout!

Karen King
03-12-2005, 05:18 PM
You know, a few years back when I first started Aikido I was staring out the window at work thinking about my latest Aikido class. One of my co-workers said, "You look like you're in love." I realized at that point that they were right. The only other time in my life that I felt that goofy good feeling was when I was infatuated with someone. I'm thinking maybe thousands of people all over the world have had the same experience...that falling in love with Aikido thing. I'm guessing the various Shihans had that same experience maybe. Thats kinda cool to think about anyway.
As I recall, I did start to make my non-Aikido friends a little crazy with all my Aikido talk. One of my friends even suggested I might be a little addicted.... I could do a lot worse as addictions go. I did learn to tone down the Aikido talk, you gotta respect where people are coming from, be with them in the moment and all that (that can be Aikidolike too). Enjoy the ride. Go be uchideshi or kenshusei if you can get away with it. I certainly wouldn't worry about it. Life is short, intensity is sweet.

Bill Danosky
03-12-2005, 07:06 PM
Karen, that was really cool. You should post more.

malsmith
03-12-2005, 09:05 PM
yeah i geuss practicing aikido is a lot like being in love!

batemanb
03-15-2005, 01:49 AM
We recently had a visitor from the Netherlands come to train with us. I met him for the first time last night, he said "I've been practicing Aikido for 4 years now, almost exactly, actually, I fell in love with AIkido...." :D.

As for thinking about Aikido, I spend at least 3 hours in the car each day driving to and from work, Aikido is often in my thoughts there. When I sit in meetings at work, it only takes about 5 minutes before the brain wonders off to Aikido (better be careful, I've got my appraisal this week :(). At home, my wife will often look at me abd say "your thinking about Aikido aren't you", apparently I get a "look" on my face :D.

rgds

Bryan

maikerus
03-15-2005, 01:59 AM
yeah i geuss practicing aikido is a lot like being in love!

Hmmm....I guess the true test would be to decide whether you would rather practice A) "Aikido" :cool: or B) "Love" :blush:

batemanb
03-15-2005, 03:23 AM
Hmmm....I guess the true test would be to decide whether you would rather practice A) "Aikido" :cool: or B) "Love" :blush:

Hey, I think I'd rather practice Aikilove, after all, isn't that what's it's all supposed to be about :D

Dazzler
03-15-2005, 03:33 AM
At home, my wife will often look at me abd say "your thinking about Aikido aren't you", apparently I get a "look" on my face :D.

rgds

Bryan

You are not alone Brian!!

Why do they take it so personally...I did this when we met so she's had 12 years to get used to my drifting away...and also my spontaneous irimi / tenkans when I'm supposed to be washing up!

maikerus
03-15-2005, 03:37 AM

Why do they take it so personally...I did this when we met so she's had 12 years to get used to my drifting away...and also my spontaneous irimi / tenkans when I'm supposed to be washing up!

I used to practice suriashi in the supermarket pushing the shopping cart. My girlfriend at the time stopped shopping with me :)

--Michael

batemanb
03-15-2005, 03:46 AM

On our wedding day, my wife was asked a question and stated that she would like me to stop training so much. My wife is now practicing Aikido too :) (although we don't practice in the same class due to kiddy sitting duties :() . She'll come up to me in the lounge and say, in keiko we did this.... what do you think, as I unwittingly become uke for some nikkyo or other ;)?

rgds

Bryan

Dazzler
03-15-2005, 03:56 AM
we don't practice in the same class due to kiddy sitting duties :() .

I'm just waiting for my little girl to be old enough to take childrens classes! I can get a saturday morning practice in AND get some brownie points for giving the missus some space...

Fair play on converting yours to aiki....mine stopped practicing when she moved south....so anything I do never is never as good or as hard as when she did it in the grim north!

Cheers

D

Dazzler
03-15-2005, 03:57 AM
I used to practice suriashi in the supermarket pushing the shopping cart. My girlfriend at the time stopped shopping with me :)

--Michael

Obviously with an attitude problem like that she just had to go! ;)

batemanb
03-15-2005, 04:14 AM

--Michael

Well rid mate, well rid :D

batemanb
03-15-2005, 04:16 AM
I'm just waiting for my little girl to be old enough to take childrens classes! I can get a saturday morning practice in AND get some brownie points for giving the missus some space...

Fair play on converting yours to aiki....mine stopped practicing when she moved south....so anything I do never is never as good or as hard as when she did it in the grim north!

Cheers

D

Have also managed to convert my 16 year old, he's stuck with it for 10 months now :D. My 4 year old wants to do it too, but has to make do with lessons in the lounge, I don' take them until 7 in my junior class :(. Still, get to practice at home too :)

Lorien Lowe
04-06-2005, 05:05 PM
One of my friends even suggested I might be a little addicted.... I could do a lot worse as addictions go.

The problem comes when the time at the dojo seems more important than anything else, like studying for that organic chemistry exam :sorry: .

-LK

Karen King
04-07-2005, 07:24 PM
You know, around the time that I stopped obsessing about Aikido so much, I had not one but two senseis tell me that my Aikido had made some sort of leap, some sort of major improvement. Did my obsessing hold me back...or was it like some sort of dam that just stored energy until I could release it? I still train a lot and think about aspects of my training...I'm just not obsessed with it, I don't worry about how good I am, for instance, ( I know I have a long road to travel, and I'm o.k. with that) (plus I'm no spring chicken and I'm getting acquainted with the limitations of time and not being the healthiest granola chick in the world). Shibata Sensei, who does seminars at our dojo periodically, has said "Just Train"...kind of an answer to all that silliness.
Its nice that Aikido is still an important part of my life without being all encompassing. I'm not sorry that I went through the obsessing stage...it was fun (mostly)...all a part of the process. But yeah, you gotta make sure the rest of your life is on track (like organic chemistry exams), because Aikido probably ain't gonna pay the bills (unless you want to try being a sensei and even then...) and it certainly won't keep you warm at night.

NixNa
04-27-2005, 09:54 PM
The last thing u wan is one of ur pals shuttin you up with a k.o punch. LOL j/k

bryce_montgomery
04-27-2005, 10:22 PM

Heh, I've found myself explaining things to my girlfriend about aikido (and end up confusing her) and then when I get out on the mats and such, she says I become this completely different person because I get completely calm and serious about practice and all...she says I get this "teaching" voice that she finds "sexy" when I do it...so I guess that's a good thing right?

Bryce

theflyingheadbuttsuplex
05-03-2005, 03:59 PM
i kind of think about aikido alot more than i should, but i dont do anything that has to do with a shopping cart :p but seriously mikerus, way to practice aikido outside the dojo :o ;)

Sonja2012
05-04-2005, 01:37 AM
As I recall, I did start to make my non-Aikido friends a little crazy with all my Aikido talk. One of my friends even suggested I might be a little addicted....

Hehe, I know what you mean. I remember this one weekend seminar at our home dojo, and I was practicing with a fellow aikidoka from my club. We were doing some kind of kokyo nage and I said to him: "Oh, I remember now, we did the same technique last weekend in Berlin!" (my husband and I live in the south of Germany, some 700 kms away from Berlin). He smiled and replied: "You know, you guys donīt actually come across as people who donīt have any friends..." :D

theflyingheadbuttsuplex
05-04-2005, 10:00 AM
Hehe, I know what you mean. I remember this one weekend seminar at our home dojo, and I was practicing with a fellow aikidoka from my club. We were doing some kind of kokyo nage and I said to him: "Oh, I remember now, we did the same technique last weekend in Berlin!" (my husband and I live in the south of Germany, some 700 kms away from Berlin). He smiled and replied: "You know, you guys donīt actually come across as people who donīt have any friends..." :D
it's true :p you can talk about this to your classmates after and before class as much as you want, and they probably wont mind it. just dont tell your friends about it too much unless they ask you :cool: As for addiction, being addicted to aikido is a good addiction :confused: :D

samurai_kenshin
05-04-2005, 10:35 AM
I gotta agree, addiction to aikido is a good addiction!