PDA

View Full Version : Help In North East UK Please

Please visit our sponsor:

AikiWeb Sponsored Links - Place your Aikido link here for only $10!

Alex Watts
03-09-2005, 10:41 AM
Hi all, I would like some help please.

I would like to start a martial art for the purpose of self defence and after some research I have decided aikido is best suited to me as I am not a big strong guy. I live in the North East of England and so am looking for a club in the area.

My concern is this: I am gay and while I donít flaunt my sexuality, I do not hide it either. I donít mince around dressed all in pink being camp or anything silly like that, but if someone asks me for example if I have a girlfriend, I will tell them I am gay.

What I would like to know is:

1. Are there any all gay aikido clubs?
2. Is my sexuality a problem in learning Aikido with regards to other students?
3. Are there any local clubs where my sexuality wonít be an issue?
4. Are there any openly gay Aikido people I can chat with here to find out their experiences?

Any help will be much appreciated.
Alex

:)

Yann Golanski
03-10-2005, 02:52 AM
Can... opened... worms... everywhere.

The answer I hope you would get is: "Pardon? Who cares who you date! We are here to learn Aikido. Now, this is a oshi taoshi / ikajo / ikkyo... " Your sexuality has nothing to do with any of it. Frankly, I would not worry about it at all.

However, I have no idea in real life. I do not think I know anyone who is gay who practices Aikido but then again, I've never asked. I've never seen any homophobic behaviour within Shodokan in the UK but then again, I don't know everyone there.

I guess the advice to check out a few dojo and pick the one that suits you best is still the best advice I can give you. Just add "gay issue" to the list of things to check.

Best of luck.