PDA

View Full Version : Your gi...

Please visit our sponsor:

AikiWeb Sponsored Links - Place your Aikido link here for only $10!

samurai_kenshin
03-01-2005, 09:28 PM
how many people wear a modern shirt under their gi shirt? I just want to know because i feel out of place when i do because all the other guys in the dojo don't.

Stuart Plymesser
03-01-2005, 09:37 PM
I wear a plain, white t-shirt under my gi. I read that this is uaully acceptable, but I took my cue form my sensei who wears a v-neck t-shirt under his. I have seen people wear colored shirts under their gi, but my personal belief is that starts to cross some imaginary line that is probably only in my head. ;) Hope this helps, but remember, it is only my opinion. If you really want a clear conscience, ask your sensei or a senior student what is acceptable at your dojo.

stuartjvnorton
03-01-2005, 09:49 PM
how many people wear a modern shirt under their gi shirt? I just want to know because i feel out of place when i do because all the other guys in the dojo don't.

The only male I know who does is a teenager who wears things like olive green long t-shierts where the sleeves go past the end of his gi sleeves... evileyes

samurai_kenshin
03-02-2005, 06:11 PM
yeah, i'm 13 (probably sould've mentioned that) but anyway thanx 4 the help

maikerus
03-03-2005, 04:07 AM
I don't wear anything under my dogi. It would just be way too hot. Unfortunately it means that sometimes I get my chest hairs pulled out <ouch!>

batemanb
03-03-2005, 09:43 AM
Ok, should I really say this? :blush:

Under normal circumstances I don't wear anything under my Gi top. However, over the past 3 or 4 years, in the winter, for some reason, I get the occasional bout of nipple rash where the seams inside my dogi rub rather badly :blush:. This is extremely painful and when it occurs I can only last a short time before being reduced to wearing an undershirt. I keep a plain white T-shirt, or plain white vest in my bag for such occasions. The extra layer stops the chaffing, it seems a bit girlie I know (no offence intended ladies), but don't make too much fun until you've suffered :(.

When I was training in Japan, we were recommended to take T-shirts to wear under our dogi when we went to gasshuku. This is because the Gi had to last for between 6 and 8 training sessions over a weekend. I actually used to take two gi tops, but T's were still required due to the serious amount of sweat shed in the ultra humidity.

rgds

Bryan

bryce_montgomery
03-03-2005, 10:32 AM
I personally wear an A-shirt or whatever other type of undershirt I'm wearing at the time...I don't see anything wrong with wearing either...

Bryce

pezalinski
03-03-2005, 11:54 AM
I usually wear a clean white T-shirt under my gi, for all the right reasons. Especially in summer. I'm actualy cooler and more comfortable in the T-shirt when it's hot than I am when I go dogi-only.

bkedelen
03-03-2005, 04:11 PM
I wore an undershirt beneath my gi top... once. The shirt was instantly soaked with sweat, I nearly burned to death, and I peeled the disgusting thing off in the changing room between classes. Apparently I need all the ventilation I can get.

bkedelen
03-03-2005, 04:19 PM
I suppose I should mention that I have the lined gi-top from Bujin Design, which is totally awesome and mitigates things like chapped nipples.

deepsoup
03-03-2005, 04:31 PM
Under normal circumstances I don't wear anything under my Gi top. However, over the past 3 or 4 years, in the winter, for some reason, I get the occasional bout of nipple rash where the seams inside my dogi rub rather badly :blush:.

Have you tried Kamillosan? Its very good for this kind of thing, either as preventative or cure. You generally find it in the baby care aisle of the supermarket or chemist - its mainly marketed as a treatment for nappy-rash.

I've never used it for nipples, but its also very good for the somewhat more embarassing chafe related ailment known throughout the live music industry as "gig-butt".

Sean
x

Thomas Ambrose
03-03-2005, 11:41 PM
I don't wear anything under my top. I get hot and soaked enough as it is...

And I live in that Arctic Wasteland that they call Michigan... :)

Jerry Miller
03-04-2005, 12:26 AM
I wear a T shirt always. I am cooler that way.

Ibaraki Bryan
03-04-2005, 12:53 AM
I wear a regular thin white cotton undershirt during evening keiko when it's freezing out. I hear during morning keiko (temp in the teens, weapons, outside) people often wear long underwear under their gi.

PeterR
03-04-2005, 01:03 AM
I wear a regular thin white cotton undershirt during evening keiko when it's freezing out. I hear during morning keiko (temp in the teens, weapons, outside) people often wear long underwear under their gi.
At Shodokan Honbu its just not done. We grudgingly allow women to wear something underneath but guys - no way.

In the Judo dojo they do on really cold days - but you know what they say about Judo guys. :D

To the original poster - why do you insist on wearing the T-shirt.

Chris Birke
03-04-2005, 01:52 AM
I wear a rashguard - it's very tight but it breathes and keeps you from getting ripped up. Usually one from a company called "Under Armor".

samurai_kenshin
03-04-2005, 01:59 AM
yeah the pulled chest hair sounds harsh, but seeing as i don't have any...

david evans
03-10-2005, 07:40 AM
Is anyone concerned about where aikido is going?

Ibaraki Bryan
03-10-2005, 05:04 PM
Don't worry about everybody else's aikido -- everyone does what works for them, physically, spiritually, whatever. I think aikido is progressing in ways O'Sensei never expected -- but I think he'd say that's a good thing.

We're each supposed discover our own path in aikido (and life for that matter). With everybody taking their own path, the whole will undoubtedly be led in entirely unexpected directions. Don't worry if someone else's way is different from what works for you or others. :)

Lan Powers
03-23-2005, 10:55 PM
No t shirt...mostly just the girls wear them around here for modesty.
Nothing wrong with them, just nobody does except the ladies and a couple of really young kids.
Lan

Robert Rumpf
03-25-2005, 08:23 AM
I've always worn a cotton T-shirt under my judo-style dogi. I've certainly seen other people wearing them, but I'm not conscious enough of the issue to give you a percentage. It depends on the dojo. The t-shirt helps to absorb some sweat. I haven't found overheating in the summer to be an issue, but I certainly do sweat.

I've never had any comments about the t-shirt, but its supposed to be non-traditional. To be honest, I'd probably be annoyed if someone said something to me about it - I consider it to be equivalent to underwear and no one's business but my own.

Rob

malsmith
03-25-2005, 08:52 AM
yeah i wear something similar to under armor during training, just plain and white, but some guys wear normal tshirts... and its kind of distracting... ill be trying to do a technique and there will be this picture of the playdough guy on the tshirt in front of me. :confused:

ruthmc
03-25-2005, 03:40 PM
I have to wear a plain white T-shirt under my jacket as I have been told that dojo etiquette for females requires it.

Apparently to have a sports bra in view is considered poor taste :confused:

Ruth

estel
03-25-2005, 07:20 PM
No undershirt for me.

Yuishinkai tends to discourage guys from wearing t-shirts under their gi, although it's ok for females.
From the Yuishinkai student handbook -
- t-shirts and singlets are not to be worn by male students during training. Only female students are allowed to wear a white t-shirt or singlet under their gi.

samurai_kenshin
03-28-2005, 06:37 PM
No t shirt...mostly just the girls wear them around here for modesty.
Nothing wrong with them, just nobody does except the ladies and a couple of really young kids.
Lan
even the teenagers?

ESimmons
04-19-2005, 02:06 AM
I personally think shirts are for girls and fat guys, but I don't see anything wrong with wearing one (like if you have chapped nipples or whatever odd reason you come up with).

Ibaraki Bryan
04-19-2005, 02:47 AM
Do you think of girls and "fat guys" as being in the same category or do you mean shirts are only for hiding cleavage? Not really sure what you mean . . :confused:

ESimmons
04-20-2005, 11:27 AM
for hiding cleavage

:)

Bronson
04-26-2005, 06:15 AM
I'm a fat guy and I don't wear one. Now that I think about it the only guys I know who do wear them are quite thin.

Bronson

makuchg
04-26-2005, 07:54 AM
Here's my 2 cents. Aikido training is about.....(wait for it)-AIKIDO. Wear what makes you comfortable and doesn't offend anyone, particularly your Sensei. If you are really in doubt about whether it is OK, ask your instructor. Finally, don't worry about how you look or what you look like in your gi, worry about how your techniques are progressing.

Ibaraki Bryan
04-26-2005, 08:07 AM
Gregory -- does that mean no naked lady t-shirts? :) Seriously had a guy in our University beginner's aikido class who regularly wore low rider t-shirts (complete with a scantily clad woman posing with the vehicle) under his gi to almost every class. . . I think his shirts weren't as offensive as they were simply distracting ;) After a few times, I asked him to get some plain white t-shirts if he wanted to wear something under his gi. I think he actually stopped coming to class -- maybe I offended HIM.... :)

makuchg
04-26-2005, 12:31 PM
What?! People wear naked women t-shirts at your dojo! I think I'll train there :D