PDA

View Full Version : Aikido?

Please visit our sponsor:

AikiWeb Sponsored Links - Place your Aikido link here for only $10!

Wachipi
02-23-2005, 10:00 PM
I kind of new to all this and I was thinking of joining an Aikido class and I was wondering what makes it diffrent from others and why you like it. Like I said I'm a new so be nice.

rob_liberti
02-23-2005, 10:13 PM
Welcome. I just started a different thread on aikido principles, maybe that would be a good place to start. Good luck. - Rob

Wachipi
02-23-2005, 10:20 PM
Welcome. I just started a different thread on aikido principles, maybe that would be a good place to start. Good luck. - Rob

GaiaM
02-24-2005, 07:17 AM
Vanessa,

I will tell you why I love aikido and let you draw your own conclusions about how it might differ from other arts.

-- positive, fun, physical interaction with great people
-- whole-body work-out, makes me feel centered, strong, and limber
-- changes the way I interact with the world (vague, I know. you'll just have to experience it for yourself)
-- martial without being agressive, ie. we train hard but not mean
-- it is beautiful
-- potential self-defense

now get out there and train!

Gaia

Dario Rosati
02-24-2005, 08:04 AM
what makes it diffrent from others and why you like it. Like I said I'm a new so be nice.

IMHO, the good:

- it's hard and the learning curve extremely steep
- you're forced to understand perfectly what your "enemy" is actually trying to do rather than simply try to land a kick or punch; this makes things really interesting...
- scales well with age
- great for fitness of the whole body and to develop body awareness
- above average age (and maturity) of the community compared to other arts (almost no Cobra Kai or Niko wannabees around)

the bad:

- too many styles/mc dojos/self inflated and proclamated sensei around, too many confusing non-martial or advanced concepts flying around for marketing purposes
- too many "mimic me and shutup" sensei around
- not that great for self defence for many years
- many years required to become confident even with basic techniques, this may lead to abandon unless you're really motivated

Bye!