PDA

View Full Version : mildew

Please visit our sponsor:

Qatana
02-19-2005, 04:12 PM
My weapons bag has been living in my car for quite a while. Lately I've found out that A) my car has a leak; B) my weapons bag has gotten wet;therefore C) my bokken has gotten some mildew on it.
Fortunately its white oak so I could see it immediately, unfortunately its white oak, so it shows.
What do I do?

James Giles
02-19-2005, 07:25 PM
Perhaps you could wipe the bokken/other weapons with some water-dilluted chlorine bleach. I know that bleach kills mold and mildew that has set into wood (I used to be a house painter).

Hope this helps,
James

DaveO
02-20-2005, 12:22 AM
Cut your hand, and let the blood run all over the mildew, hiding it. If anyone looks at it aghast; growl menacingly "My last uke resisted..." and leave it at that. :D

ruthmc
02-20-2005, 08:22 AM
Try cinnamon or nutmeg essential oil (a few drops mixed with carrier oil) after cleaning off the mildew, which bump off any kind of mould. This will nourish your wood whilst preventing it from getting mildew again :)

Ruth

Qatana
02-20-2005, 08:36 AM
Thanks Dave but at 5'3" and 115# its already all I can do not to appear threatening to the the world at large!

Hmm.,making it smell really good could be a kind of atemi...I know one time we were doing an ushiro technique and as uke I got terribly distracted by how good nage's hair smelled.

kung fu hamster
02-20-2005, 10:44 AM
...as uke I got terribly distracted by how good nage's hair smelled.

We should all have that problem in the dojo....!

:D

Lyle Laizure
02-26-2005, 07:10 PM
If all else fails sand it down and polish it.

Nikopol
03-06-2005, 09:12 AM
I think the cinammon and nutmeg oil might even out the coloration as well. Ruth's got the idea. Nature to nature.