View Full Version : Question for the guys in Japan

Please visit our sponsor:

AikiWeb Sponsored Links - Place your Aikido link here for only $10!

02-09-2005, 11:32 PM

Well I currently live in Nagano Ken and study the Nishio form of aikido...have also studied the standard Aikikai form.

My current job finishes shortly with no hope of renewal :confused: so I am considering moving as a new position here (english school/eikeiwa hours) will likely mean only 2 days of aikido per week...I want more :)

So...firstly does anyone know if Shoji Nishio is still teaching and where?...any ideas on his timetable? (a few months ago he was ill and could not attend a seminar here...hope he is ok now?) :)

OR...has anyone trained at Hombu dojo?...can anyone give me any advise/info on the atmosphere etc

(not so important...but am I right in thinking that promotion can be much faster there...took me 3 years to get to san que :confused: )

....you see I would prefer to teach english privately with perhaps other business/exporting options so Tokyo might be better for me...could then train nearly everyday.

Any advise/info would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks

Peter Goldsbury
02-10-2005, 03:30 AM
Hello Lee,

I think I can give you some advice, but would prefer to do so via PM.

Feel free to send me a private mail when you have the time.

Best regards,

02-10-2005, 06:24 AM
I'm not in Japan but I can tell you the following:
It will certainly be a lot easier for you to get a job taching English in Tokyo or Osaka than many of he other areas. You can teach privately, but you'll have a hard time with your visa. It depneds on what you want to do. I know some serious aikido folks get cultural visas but you really need to show the teacher that you are serious and worth that effort. Lastly, please work hard but don't be in so much of a hurry to get through your kyu ranks that you don't thoroughly study them.

Good luck.

02-10-2005, 06:43 AM
The last thing I heard was that Nishio sensei is not very actively teaching, but if you want to practice with him or some of his primary students you can check out this web-site:

In the Tokyo-area it believe both Shishiya sensei and Arisou sensei teach Nishio-style aikido. They are both very competent and nice as far as I can judge. On Shikoku there is a dojo in Matsuyama with Suzuki sensei. I have never met him, but I have heard good things about him. I'm hoping to go there myself this year in september, and i'll be spending some time in Tokyo as well so maybe we'll bump into each other on the mat :D

Hope this (or Peter) helps you.