PDA

View Full Version : Iyengar Yoga & Aikido

Please visit our sponsor:

AikiWeb Sponsored Links - Place your Aikido link here for only $10!

johnhannon
02-06-2005, 11:55 AM
I'm just curious if there are any Aikidoka out there that practice Iyengar Yoga. If so, I would love to hear you thoughts on the relationship between the disciplines.

Thanks.

Kevin Leavitt
02-06-2005, 04:39 PM
They are very much in line IMHO. I am in the process of combining my aikido training with Iyengar's asana. It is all about alignment, balance, strength, and posture. I think they are very much in line and complimentary.

Qatana
02-07-2005, 04:15 PM
Of all the yoga styles I have studired, I like Iyengar the best. Something about the attitude of the teachers, they are direct & no nonsense and know what temperature to keep a dojo.I've been pracricing yoga for over thirty years, and while I know that flexibility and stretch are completely unnecessary in aikido, I'm sure glad I have them.
No to mention the happy absence of new age esotericism. Which I consider a completely different thing than spirituality.

johnhannon
02-08-2005, 07:01 PM
I have not studied much Yoga, but I have friends that study Bikram, Ashtanga, and Iyengar.
Iyengar certainly appeals to me the most-- particularly after reading the first few chapters of
Light on Yoga. Also, I find the chapters of Pranayama to be quite interesting. Prana seems to be very similar ki-- at least according to my limited understanding of the practice. Due to it's trendyness here in the states Yoga is quite an expensive practice to start training in-- although I understand after a while it becomes a private, individual practice. A nice ballance to the social aspects of Aikido, I think.

Bill Danosky
02-14-2005, 11:19 AM
My wife has been practicing Kripalu yoga for many years and I very occasionally join her for a few poses. I find it's helpful to my Aikido as I'm spending time developing a tactile sense of where my body is at and what it's doing.

I think my balance and rooting in Kamae is increased, plus several of the stretches and warmups we do at the dojo are very familiar to yoga devotees.

My Sensei is also a yoga instructor at the local community college. I think she advocates Yoga practice in conjunction with Aikido, but not other martial arts.

Personally, I think Yoga's so Yin, you need some extra Yang, so I advocate (Yoshinkan ;) ) Aikido in conjunction with Yoga practice, instead of the other way around.

Qatana
02-14-2005, 12:50 PM
Why on earth would she advocate yoga for aikido and not for the arts which Demand a higher degree of flexibility? Not to mention the advantages you have found which have nothing to do with flexibility, and are extremely valid reasons for practing yoga.

Bill Danosky
02-16-2005, 09:40 AM
Sorry to have been confusing in my statement. I meant that she advocates the practice of Yoga and Aikido together, but not Aikido and say, Tae Kwon Do together. I can understand the reasoning behind that, having practiced multiple martial arts in the past, but I really shouldn't presume to speak for her.