PDA

View Full Version : Hi From Montana

Please visit our sponsor:

AikiWeb Sponsored Links - Place your Aikido link here for only $10!

Greg Olson
02-06-2005, 12:11 AM
Hi All ~ Being new to this particular forum and per the suggestion from this list -- I thought I'd introduce myself. My name is Greg Olson. I teach aikido at Big Sky Aikido and at Montana State University located here in Bozeman, Montana. I've been training in budo and aikido now for a LONG time. I look forward to meeting many of you through this forum. I do plan on making a contribution now and again and look forward to hearing your responses.

My best to you all.

Greg Olson

Sue Hammerich
02-06-2005, 12:43 AM
Hi Greg! I've never been to Montana but it sounds beautiful. (Well, and back in my wild oat sewing days, I knew some mighty cute guys from Montana, but that's a whole 'nother forum). Thanks for joining up and we'll all be looking forward to hearing more from you!

sisley
02-06-2005, 05:56 AM
Olson-sensei! Hello!

I was just getting to respond saying how lucky you are to be in Montana with such good teachers as Raso-sensei and Olson-sensei when I see it's actually you! You probably don't remember me, but I remember a seminar you gave in Spokane one summer and how we used to talk about bringing you to Pullman for a weekend. (I used to train with Robert-sensei at WSU before moving and ending up here in Japan.)

It's good to see you around here! I'm looking forward to reading your posts and learning from you once again!

Best,
Jim

Janet Rosen
02-06-2005, 08:26 AM
Hey! You must be the Greg Olson who wrote or cowrote those really wonderful studies of the anatomy underlying ikkyo, nikkyo, sankyo? They have my vote for the Most Under-seen, Under-appreciated Aikido Writings Of All Time, and maybe you and Jun can work on getting them out on aikiweb????

bryce_montgomery
02-06-2005, 09:26 AM
Nice to meet you Olsen-sensei!

Glad you joined us on Aikiweb and I can't wait to hear whatever you have to say...

Bryce

Greg Jennings
02-06-2005, 02:00 PM
Welcome to AikiWeb.

Nice given name you have there.

Best,

Greg Olson
02-07-2005, 10:13 AM
Hi All ~ thanks for the warm welcome, it's appreciated. With regard to Jim's reply . . . It's good to hear from you. How did you end up in Osaka??? Nice.

And Janet, thank you for your response in regard to the research I've done and articles I've written. I like your suggestion with regard to having the studies posted to this forum -- how would I go about doing that, would you know?

My best to all of you.

Greg (just getting started) Olson

akiy
02-07-2005, 12:22 PM
Hi Greg,

It's really nice to see you here! I hope you and everyone at your dojo are doing well.

As far as putting your articles onto this site goes, please feel free to contact me using the Contact Us (http://www.aikiweb.com/forums/sendmessage.php) link. I'm sure we can work something out!

Best,

-- Jun

Janet Rosen
02-07-2005, 12:22 PM
<shouting mode on>
Hey, Jun, let's get Greg's stuff on aikiweb!
<shouting mode off>
heck, I'll email him directly (smile)

bkedelen
02-07-2005, 01:17 PM
Hi sensei, welcome to the forum.

Don_Modesto
02-07-2005, 05:25 PM
Hey! You must be the Greg Olson who wrote or cowrote those really wonderful studies of the anatomy underlying ikkyo, nikkyo, sankyo? They have my vote for the Most Under-seen, Under-appreciated Aikido Writings Of All Time, and maybe you and Jun can work on getting them out on aikiweb????

Yes. If folks can't wait for them to appear here, they're also at

http://www.aikidoaus.com.au/dojo/index4.htm

I've refered to them several times in my own studies and thank you very much for them, Olson Sensei.

Greg Olson
02-08-2005, 09:51 AM
Hi sensei, welcome to the forum.

Hi Ben ~ are you here too? This forum is good stuff, I came expecting strangers and I've found instead a community of old and, I hope, new friends. How wonderful and how wonderful to know you're here. (BTW, we're all adding your variation of tobu ukemi to our repertoire of ukemi technique here in your "home dojo." We're referring to it as "BEU." Hee hee. We all thank you for your contribution.)

Ben, you might get a smile to know, this semester in my beginning aikido class at MSU, I've between seventy and seventy-five new beginning students . I'm wondering if this is some type of record for the largest number of beginners in one beginner's class??? Cool, huh?

Greg Olson

Greg Olson
02-08-2005, 10:13 AM
Yes. If folks can't wait for them to appear here, they're also at

http://www.aikidoaus.com.au/dojo/index4.htm

I've refered to them several times in my own studies and thank you very much for them, Olson Sensei.

Hi Don ~ I sincerely thank you for your complements -- they're very much appreciated. And, I look forward to a growing relationship with you and all the persons on Aiki Web.

My best to you,

Greg Olson

bkedelen
02-08-2005, 11:04 AM
That is certainly the largest beginners class of which I am aware. Is the class still in the morning? It is wonderful that you can convince 75 college students to come train at nine in the morning! I am glad you have gotten value from the ukemi tape. I stole most of that style directly from Jun, who happens to be the proprietor of this fine forum. It is indeed a small world.

Don_Modesto
02-08-2005, 05:10 PM
Hi Don ~ I sincerely thank you for your complements -- they're very much appreciated. And, I look forward to a growing relationship with you and all the persons on Aiki Web.

My best to you,

Greg Olson

Kochira koso doozo yoroshiku.

Greg Olson
02-10-2005, 10:39 PM
That is certainly the largest beginners class of which I am aware. Is the class still in the morning? It is wonderful that you can convince 75 college students to come train at nine in the morning! I am glad you have gotten value from the ukemi tape. I stole most of that style directly from Jun, who happens to be the proprietor of this fine forum. It is indeed a small world.

Ben -- alas, I moved the beginner's class to the afternoon -- 3:00 p.m. to be exact. University beginning students certainly like this afternoon time since, I would suspect, they seem to prefer to sleep during the wee-morning hours. Go figure???

Greg Olson

Greg Olson
02-10-2005, 10:51 PM
<shouting mode on>
Hey, Jun, let's get Greg's stuff on aikiweb!
<shouting mode off>
heck, I'll email him directly (smile)

Janet ~ thank you very much for your support. This is to let you know I'll be writing the publisher of my aikido-research papers for permission to post my work to Aiki Web. Also, I've been in contact with Jun with regard to this project and he seems favorably inclined. Wish me luck in my endeavors.

(It's interesting I have to get permission to post my own work. But, it's an interesting life, isn't it?)

Greg Olson

E.D. Gordon
02-11-2005, 08:53 AM
Howdy Greg,
Another fan of your fascinating structural analysis of technique. I've kept that on file forever. Now that I'm a bodyworker, it's even more interesting. It's sick fun to tell beginners not to worry about nikkyo pain, because the pisiform bone will eventually deform and it won't hurt so badly.. ;-D
Any chance of extending that study, or are the other techniques too general?

It was ten years ago that I was in Bozeman visiting a friend, and I've always regretted not bringing my gi. I got to feed a horned owl, though, at the rescue center.

I got my rank at a university dojo myself, and the classes start out huge, but unless it's for a grade, it's like throwing your money at a wall: you get to keep what sticks.

So what other budo do you do?

E. D. Gordon
(inveterate cross-trainer and budo addict)

Greg Olson
02-13-2005, 08:25 PM
Howdy Greg,
Another fan of your fascinating structural analysis of technique. I've kept that on file forever. Now that I'm a bodyworker, it's even more interesting. It's sick fun to tell beginners not to worry about nikkyo pain, because the pisiform bone will eventually deform and it won't hurt so badly.. ;-D
Any chance of extending that study, or are the other techniques too general?

It was ten years ago that I was in Bozeman visiting a friend, and I've always regretted not bringing my gi. I got to feed a horned owl, though, at the rescue center.

I got my rank at a university dojo myself, and the classes start out huge, but unless it's for a grade, it's like throwing your money at a wall: you get to keep what sticks.

So what other budo do you do?

E. D. Gordon
(inveterate cross-trainer and budo addict)

Hi Emily ~ thank you for your comments -- they're appreciated.

Hmm . . . I seem to remember your visit to Bozeman some years ago, although my memory may have "fogged" somewhat with the passage of time . . .

With regard to "extending" my studies -- I am presently working on a study related to anatomy of the neck when certain pressures are applied to the area. The purpose is to further clarify and understand basic applied pressure to these areas. It's quite interesting for me.

And, my university class . . . it's a credit course. I've been teaching it for more years than I should admit and, I've had thousands of students pass through this class. In addition to my downtown Bozeman dojo, I'm fortunate to have a large "permanent" dojo on campus with a two-hundred tatami mat area presently dedicated to aikido only. I'm a happy man.

As for your inquiry to my "other budo," I was extensively involved in judo for over fifteen years until I fell under aikido's sway.

My best to you.

Greg Olson

Greg Olson
02-15-2005, 09:55 AM
Kochira koso doozo yoroshiku.

Hajimemashite, dozo yoroshiku.

Greg Olson

Roger C. Marks
03-04-2005, 11:36 AM
With regard to "extending" my studies -- I am presently working on a study related to anatomy of the neck when certain pressures are applied to the area. The purpose is to further clarify and understand basic applied pressure to these areas. It's quite interesting for me.

And

As for your inquiry to my "other budo," I was extensively involved in judo for over fifteen years until I fell under aikido's sway.

Hi Greg

Have you any data on the comparison of physiological effects of shime waza children v adults? or, in the same context, kansetsu waza? Shime waza is perhaps more relevant to judo but more information on joint locks in the context of aikido would be useful.

bkedelen
03-04-2005, 02:36 PM
I have never heard of testing the effects of shime waza on children. I would not recommend submitting a research grant application for that area of study. Nevertheless the effects of shime waza on adults has been extensively studied, at least as far as it is applicable to law enforcement professionals, and the results are available via the temporarily erstwhile e-bodu.com, other prominent judo/bjj forums, past threads on this site (I think), and in several relevant texts. A quick google search should reveal such research. I will look into it later, and post some links.

roninroshi
09-07-2006, 11:52 PM
Greg are you publishing anything else in the near future???