PDA

View Full Version : shomenuchi

Please visit our sponsor:

AikiWeb Sponsored Links - Place your Aikido link here for only $10!

CollinHall
02-04-2005, 11:12 AM
i was having trouble reacting to the shomenuchi attack... but i have come to find that when i accept the attack i then sort of pull on the opponents arm a little bit to throw him off balance more... i find it works for me... is this wrong for the technique???

Janet Rosen
02-04-2005, 11:30 AM
Wrong? Well, "pulling on the arm" is not very effective, because it gives your partner something very easy to work against.
But as an overall approach, there is nothing wrong with the timing and body movement you describe: if you are late for an entering response to shomenuchi, or the attacker's energy is greater than you can enter on, then it is appropriate to do a blend that allows the attacker's cut to come all the way down.
The thing is, it's best to be able to train with both approaches (and your instructor will no doubt want you to!). If you have trouble with the timing, it's ok to ask your partner to slow down his shomenuchi. Just focus on matching his footwork and attack: as he moves and his arm raises, you move and your arm raises. Like a mirror at first, then as it gets more natural, like a vaccuum sucking you in as he raises up. Maybe somebody can work with you after class just on this part of it?

CollinHall
02-04-2005, 11:44 AM
well thats sound like a good plan... lord knows i need extra help....

Janet Rosen
02-04-2005, 12:59 PM
heheheh....I feel your pain!

Greg Jennings
02-04-2005, 01:08 PM
I take a different tack. My primary mode is to initiate shomenuchi. If I let my partner initiate and get a late start, I do not try to stay with omote, but swap to ura or do something else. I do not try to go against their energy.

YMMV,

senshincenter
02-04-2005, 06:14 PM
Collin,

I recently wrote an article on this for our dojo. I am hesitant to recommend it - because it is pretty long. Most folks, I would imagine, would rather not read something so long. However, perhaps, just in case, you might find it an aid of sorts in your own thought processes and reflections - here's the link:

http://www.senshincenter.com/pages/writs/aikipers/shomenuchiikkyo.html

dmv

maikerus
02-04-2005, 10:58 PM
Hey Collin,

I would personally be careful with any pulling (as Janet also said). However the idea of having uke move forward to lose their balance a bit more certainly works. I would just suggest you have them do it to themselves (or you guide them into it) rather than pull them.

Two things I play with when receiving a shomenuchi strike are:

1. Move in and block the strike before it gains power. From their you can move either to the side or back (without pulling) and change uke's direction of strength/power since uke should be feeling their balance go into their back foot.

2. Move in and really pretend to block so that uke starts to think about hitting your blocking hands and then back off so their strike goes past where they thought they were going to hit. Then block them their. Here it's easy to pivot or move back since uke is leaning forward about to fall on his face :-)

--Michael

CollinHall
02-07-2005, 08:33 AM
well heres what i tried in class the other day... when i recieved the shomanuchi attack i stepped back and to the side like... and i guided their arm with my movements.. i guided them a little towards me and what i found was that i wasnt pulling them they were just of balance and just sorta stumbled foward..... so i really wasnt pulling them myself ha ha funny how that i never noticed i thought i was yanking them.....

Ron Tisdale
02-07-2005, 09:21 AM
For shomenuchi ikkajo osae ni (ura) I've been taught to take uke's balance upward...meet the attack, take their balance upward, then pivot and body change. Generally, I'm taught not to pull...pushing seems much more powerfull...leading and pushing even better...leading only the best (if I can do it...).

Ron

Rocky Izumi
02-07-2005, 11:12 AM
Solution: Awase practice. Ask your instructor about it.

Rock

Goetz Taubert
02-07-2005, 03:53 PM
Hi Collin,
your kind of handling shomen-attack sounds good. To my point of view, you are describing is not the "common" omote vs. ura-approach.

We practice a similar one, where you stay in line with the shomen attack but where you step straight backwards (right hand attack, backwards with the right foot) but you don't turn (180 degree) until uke is destabilized and quite low before you. The important thing is to point forward, both arms extended, to make contact very ligthely (no gripping intended) and just let your arms directly drop down or a little bit in direction to your hips. It depends a bit on the attacking energy of uke (the more passive, the more dropping of the arms right down in a quite extended manner).
In the beginning it is easier, if uke attacks with a more direct shomenuchi just extending his arm in direction to the breast/face of tori.
Maybe you like to try.