PDA

View Full Version : Extrapolate our evolution!

Please visit our sponsor:

AikiWeb Sponsored Links - Place your Aikido link here for only $10!

Bill Danosky
02-02-2005, 02:02 PM
I've been thinking about mankind's social and spiritual evolution and wondering where it might be going.

Mathemeticians and scientists derive patterns from exisiting data and project where that might place future data.

Looking at our current situation and comparing it to our situation 100 years ago, and 1,000 years ago, and 10,000 years ago we can see patterns emerging in our development as a species.

Hopefully everyone will weigh in with their usual diverse perspectives on this. With an almost limitless range of political, social, scientific, philosopical, ad infinitum, subjects it should be very interesting (at least to me) to see how this thread "evolves".

altered_carbon
02-02-2005, 02:29 PM
We can talk about 100 years, but we do not have accurate records for period like 1000 and longer. So our history is not clear.

Another thing to look at is Fermi Paradox. So if we still can't find no one "out there" maybe there is none, and ultimately we will fail? Then again, what spiritual evolution are we talking about when Buddha, Jesus and Muhammad appeared in a 1200 year period (according to current chronology) and than there were none? :)

Anyway, Bill.. what's your personal thoughts on the subject? :)

SeiserL
02-02-2005, 05:12 PM
Read Ken Wilber. He's got this topic so covered that I don't even begin to understand it, but I know he does.

IMHO, we're doing just fine when you look at the evolution in the big picture, even if there are many places we have not come along as far as we think we have. We still need work. Enjoy the journey.

Bronson
02-02-2005, 09:31 PM
I wouldn't worry too much about it Bill. We're all just parts of a computer program devised by The Mice and built by the Planet Engineers of Magrathea to find the ulitmate question to the ultimate answer, which is 42.

:D

Bronson

danae oaks
02-02-2005, 10:20 PM
the sad thing is that people think how hiteck we are but the truth is that were just relizeing are past history is being dug up and finding alot of the same things thats been around for like 300 yrs.and weve only have had for 100yrs.dont get me wrong its not like they had cable in rome 300 or 400yrs ago
but still if we had known of these things before hand thigs might of been alot smoother.we havent evolved much but yet we have.for instance alot of are countrys share and not split by race.but also were the only animals that poisen are selves.then instead of most scientists looking for cures and spending money to help the human race ,instead we have them makeing bombs and tererists killing others.even thoe they say its just for show and will be put to good youse in the end theres that chance it will kill and your not just killing your enemy but also inasents.no ones life should be taken,for we didnt give that to them and killing them just makes us as bad.im not saying a killer deserves to live but in doing so do we not become a killer are selves?do they not say that 2 wrongs dont make a right?and do we really know what is right and what is wrong?there are some problems within are evelution but nothing is perfect.we are a double edged sword that there are some good things and some relly bad ones but it will allways be that way yin and yang.so yes we have evolved but to what extant?

maikerus
02-02-2005, 11:56 PM
I wouldn't worry too much about it Bill. We're all just parts of a computer program devised by The Mice and built by the Planet Engineers of Magrathea to find the ulitmate question to the ultimate answer, which is 42.

Bronson

The movie version will be out in May...so this will all make sense then...

--Michael :cool:

bryce_montgomery
02-03-2005, 12:06 PM

Bronson

Great allusion Bronson ;).

As for the whole social/human evolution thingy...I personally believe that we as a people are able to adapt to any changes, good or bad...Even the "end of the world" scare from the "academics" doesn't bother me...I may be one of those guys that doesn't care what happens till it happens but I'm happy wear I am day by day...So I guess I'm just trying to say that, even throughout history, where we've repeated ourselves over and over again (i.e. wars, thought processes, etc.) I believe that unless we look back and learn from those mistakes then we will repeat them yet again...but I'm not one of those "key" people that would make that difference by myself...

Just one of the few...

Bryce

Thomas Ambrose
02-03-2005, 10:52 PM

Bronson

The ultimate question of course... being "What do you get when you multiply 6 by 9?"

Sorry, couldn't resist :D

Sue Hammerich
02-05-2005, 01:09 AM
So long, and thanks for all the fish-waza

Qatana
02-05-2005, 10:35 AM
And anyway, since the planet has to be destroyed by the Vogons to make room for the new hyperspatial xpress route it would be best to just find your towel and

Don't Panic.

Bill Danosky
02-07-2005, 07:42 PM
I always know where my towel is. As long as I have it, I can borrow any other toiletries I need, right?

Mark Freeman
02-14-2005, 06:47 PM
I wonder if this is what you were expecting Bill, when you said you wanted to see how this thread 'evolved'.
You posed such a large question with so many possible answers, that it was almost guaranteed to slip pretty quickly into hyperspace.
I'm not going to try and answer any of the larger questions, as the fish just fell out of my ear and I don't understand what is being said. :hypno:

Bill Danosky
02-20-2005, 08:47 AM
However the thread evolves makes it pleasant conversation. What we found out again is that people everywhere have striking similarities and much in common. Noticing that many members of Aikiweb are fans of Monty Python and Hitch Hiker's Guide makes me imagine that there is a lot more that we share culturally, even though we posted from the US, Britain, Austria, Samoa and Japan, just in this thread.

Turning to the original subject, and looking back at the last 10,000 years of humankind's evolution, my personal thoughts are that it's been largely about our unification as a species, and as a species with our environment.

10,000 years ago we lived very separate existences and our individual survival was threatened daily. Today, our survival is literally guaranteed and we are more unified than ever. With the Internet, real-time worldwide communication and live news we can see the pattern becoming more and more distinct.

The UN says we can end poverty by 2024, so surely we can accomplish this in 100 years. Once that happens, there will probably be a lot less reason to spend money on the military and we can start restoring the health of the planet.

It's following our evolutionary trajectory out pretty far, but I think our ultimate destination is a state where each individual's safety, equanimity and freedom will be so assured that even the concept of individual identity will be different. Where a worldwide consensus on virtually everything will have been reached and our main focus will become improving, growing and tending the beautiful, colossal terrarium where we live.

People have learned to have national pride, civic pride, pride in their families, their gardens and their companies. I think this proves a capacity exists for pride in our world or even universe. That, for me, is the start of true :ai: :ki: :do: .

Mark Freeman
02-20-2005, 10:39 AM
[QUOTE=Bill Danosky]
>>It's following our evolutionary trajectory out pretty far, but I think our ultimate destination is a state where each individual's safety, equanimity and freedom will be so assured that even the concept of individual identity will be different. Where a worldwide consensus on virtually everything will have been reached and our main focus will become improving, growing and tending the beautiful, colossal terrarium where we live.<<

In my optimistic moments I couldn't agree with you more. I truly believe that we as a species have the resources and know how right now, to bring about this imagined state much sooner than will actually be the case. When my more pessimistic side is allowed to speak, it sees the basic human emotions of fear and greed being manipulated by those elected officials who we hope would be acting in our own interest, but rarely get beyond protecting their own positions.

There needs to be a huge shift in power away from the status quo towards an educated, motivated, and compassionate majority, that understands its own capacity to alter the course of events. Take the anti-war demonstrations that took to the global streets on 15th Feb, I thought I was witnessing a sea change, as this was a co-ordinated worldwide event, showing that many of us do not buy into the ( to us obvious ) lies spouted by our respective leaders, however I now realise that there will need to be many, many, more bodies out there to alter a politicians mind.

From an evolutionary point of view, I'm not sure whether our thinking processes have progressed much beyond the stone- age. When under pressure most humans will revert to animal instinct. When our hoarded grain is under attack, we feel justified in eliminating the hungry assailant. Our long term strategic thinking is hampered by the Presidents who say that 'cutting emissions is bad for business!'

In my more new age moments I feel that 'thinking' does not have to go through many generations to evolve like say a longer forefinger as we used to see in the sci fi comics. However, I think the onus is on the 'evolved' to apply their collective brainpower to righting some of the glaring wrongs that exist in todays highly divided world.

I look forward to tending the garden with you Bill, but I think we've got to shovel a whole heap of crap out of the way to get to it.

Mark

Bill Danosky
02-20-2005, 09:54 PM
When my more pessimistic side is allowed to speak, it sees the basic human emotions of fear and greed being manipulated by those elected officials who we hope would be acting in our own interest, but rarely get beyond protecting their own positions.....I look forward to tending the garden with you Bill, but I think we've got to shovel a whole heap of crap out of the way to get to it.

Mark
:( ?

Turn and face the light, Brother! And don't let The Man get you down.

IMHO, The eternal struggle of life is not to get corrupted by the material, and all the worrying you are doing over the sky falling is because you're buying what they're selling.

Turn off that live news broadcast and get inside your own head for awhile. You'll be happier than when you're feeling cynical or disgruntled and that's where it all starts.

I look forward to tending the garden with everyone, too. (I mean this in the literal and metaphorical sense.) There's only one way to beautify the universe, but it can be done- one yard and one mind at at time!
" :) "

Jim ashby
02-21-2005, 04:56 AM
Extrapolate our evolution? Our evolution will be stifled for as long as our belief systems are peddled as rules and laws. Those same rules and laws that came from books written 10th hand (and more!) by people that believed the world was flat, people that were solely interested in power and control of the masses for their own ends. If you truly wish to be free in your own mind, throw away everything that you think you know, throw away your fear of everything that you now think controls you and wake up as a human.

Bill Danosky
02-21-2005, 04:10 PM
Not meaning anything other than friendly concern, but you Brits seem really neg'ed out this week. What is going on over there? I purposely don't watch the news, so forgive me if I'm missing anything.

Things didn't go exactly right for U.S. back in November when our public at large signed on for the Bush, inc. agenda. I'm not letting it bother me. My plan is to go about my daily business, giving joyfully, and try to drag the world along with me. Even little ripples reach a long way on calm water.

Jim ashby
02-22-2005, 05:44 AM
I didn't mean to sound negative. In fact I don't think I did. Any time someone has an "alternative" view of religion it is always viewed as negative, I strongly feel that my atheist principles are the most positive thing about me and that they have given me a free and open world view away from the necrocracy that still controls most of the planet.

Bill Danosky
02-23-2005, 10:14 PM
I like every word of this quote, most recently attributed to Wayne Dyer:

"Row, row, row your boat, gently down the stream. Merrily, merrily, merrily, merrily, life is but a dream."