PDA

View Full Version : Aikido in New Hampshire

Please visit our sponsor:

AikiWeb Sponsored Links - Place your Aikido link here for only $10!

Joe Bowen
01-30-2005, 07:43 PM
Hey Folks,

A very good friend of mine might have the opportunity to relocate to New Hampshire and I'm trying to help him out with some information about Aikido in the State/ Area. The Aikiweb dojo search yields about six dojos actually in the state, some of them seem a bit off the mark as far as Aikido goes (by this I mean that Aikido is not even mentioned on their website, even though the dojo is on the Aikiweb). I noticed that there seem to be two Aikikai USAF dojos active in the area, are they affiliated with the late Kanai Sensei's organization or with Yamada Sensei out of NYC? I noticed on the Portsmouth Aikido page a comment that the primary instructor is a Shodan, with classes only held 3 times a week. Does the population in NH support full-time professional teachers, or is it too small? Any information is appreciated....

Thanks

joe

makuchg
02-02-2005, 03:04 PM
Where exactly will your friend be? Northeast Aikikai with Perriello Sensei is excellent (www.northeastaikikai.com) and Black Sword Aikido is fantastic (Caufield Sensei). Black Sword is a little less traditional blending Aikido and Chinese Chin Na (Shaolin Kung Fu grappling). Hope that helps.

GaiaM
02-02-2005, 10:18 PM
If your friend is going to be anywhere near Keene I recommend Monadnock Aikikai. This is a USAF-E affiliated dojo. I have never actually taken a class with their sensei, Liz Dinowitz, but I attended a seminar there and someone who trains at our dojo trained there for a long time before moving to MA. Liz is I believe a 5th dan, and the dojo was run by her husband until he died. They have been around a long time. I don't believe they have a website, but you can certainly find their phone number on the internet.
Good luck,
Gaia