PDA

View Full Version : How To Unify Ki, By Koichi Tohei

Please visit our sponsor:

AikiWeb Sponsored Links - Place your Aikido link here for only $10!

Adam Alexander
01-26-2005, 10:26 PM
Hello,

I picked this book up from the used book the other day. Does anyone know anything about it?

Fred26
01-28-2005, 01:26 AM
Only that I should own that book :D I bought "Ki in daily life" a month ago and it has definitly helped me with my ki-practice in aikido.

But if you want some info bout that book of yours, try finding a review of it on Amazon.com or some other book-site.

SeiserL
01-28-2005, 09:01 AM
Don't know the specific book, but the author is excellent. Read and absorb it. If you don't like it, let me know, I'll buy it from you. Congratulations on your find. It is amazing what is at the used book stores.

tedehara
01-28-2005, 11:15 AM
Hello,

I picked this book up from the used book the other day. Does anyone know anything about it?
Click here! (http://www.budovideos.com/shop/customer/pages.php?pageid=13) and see if your booklet looks like the one pictured on the upper part of the page. This page gives 1974 as the date of publication.

It appears to be fairly rare at $189.95 USD. Good luck finding someone who will pay that though. The actual price is probably a guesstimate of its market value.

I tend to read books rather than collect them, so I may be the wrong person to ask.

Adam Alexander
01-28-2005, 11:48 AM
SAA-WHEAT!! That's the book. It's not mint condition, but I only paid a ten spot for it.

Lynn, yeah, the used book stores are great. Over the past two months, I found Aikido and the Dynamic Sphere, Total Aikido, Hagakure: Book of the Samurai, Zen in the Martial Arts and serveral books by Stevens (I don't buy those though--his style is too different from mine). Over the years, I've found many more--just seems like lately there's been many more than normal.

Oh yeah, I found some Aikido Journals from the early eighties (didn't have the cash for them though).

Thanks for the response. I'll be keeping the book:)

kironin
02-01-2005, 10:50 AM
Yes, those booklets are rare. They have been out of print for many years.

not likely to find them for a cheap price online.

crbateman
03-16-2005, 09:49 AM
This booklet is part of a series of five, all released by the Ki Society in the mid-70's. The other titles are "Ki Breathing", "Ki Meditation", "Ki Hygiene", and "How to Develop Ki". They are indeed very difficult to find, and worth much more than you paid, but Budovideos has been trying to rape the collectors on these for years, without success. That is why they still have most of them. When found on auctions or elsewhere on the 'net, they usually bring about $75.00. Higher than that, and buyers won't pop for it. There is nothing in the text that cannot be found in more common and mainstream Tohei books. They're pretty much just valued because of the novelty factor. Just the same, let me know if you change your mind about selling yours! ;)

Ron Tisdale
03-16-2005, 10:07 AM
and serveral books by Stevens (I don't buy those though--his style is too different from mine).

If you are refering to the difference between yoshinkan and the aikido that Shirata Sensei taught, there are actually some amazing technical parallels to be found. The biggest differences I've noticed are not so much technical, but rather, they are based in the fact that Rinjiro Shirata was (at least at one point) deeply involved in Omoto kyo, while Gozo Shioda never really bought into that. The biggest technical difference (in my opinion) is that yosh draws from the sword through the basic movements...Shirata Sensei's weapons work was outstanding in it's own right. Almost all of the empty hand practice is an exact mirror of the weapons work...to an amazing degree.

The spreading of the fingers, many points in the stances, the technical form of shiho, ikkyo, etc. are all very similar. Not surprising really...Shioda and Shirata trained around the same time...Shirata just went back after the war and responded to the changes Ueshiba had made. If you see the book where Stevens Sensei details the aikido of Shirata Sensei, I'd highly recommend picking it up.

Ron

gregstec
03-16-2005, 12:39 PM
This booklet is part of a series of five, all released by the Ki Society in the mid-70's. The other titles are "Ki Breathing", "Ki Meditation", "Ki Hygiene", and "How to Develop Ki". They are indeed very difficult to find, and worth much more than you paid, but Budovideos has been trying to rape the collectors on these for years, without success. That is why they still have most of them. When found on auctions or elsewhere on the 'net, they usually bring about $75.00. Higher than that, and buyers won't pop for it. There is nothing in the text that cannot be found in more common and mainstream Tohei books. They're pretty much just valued because of the novelty factor. Just the same, let me know if you change your mind about selling yours! ;)

Ditto on what Clark said - I have many books by Tohei, some old and some new, and it appears that his Ki explanations and principles have not changed and can be found in the newer reprints of his books. However, as an Aikido book collector with a special interest in Tohei books, I would be willing to give you substantially more that what you paid for it, but no where near the prices found on budovidoes.

Greg Steckel

Esaemann
03-31-2005, 02:13 PM
Can someone tell me a little about what is in this book, or any of the others by Tohei? Before I fork out lots of money, I'd like to know what I'm getting.
I'm looking for an intermediate/advanced book on Ki by Tohei. I already have The Book of Ki: Coordinating... I find the exercises useful. Otherwise, it is a pretty basic book. Do the other less available titles have more in depth analyses?
Thanks for your help.

gregstec
03-31-2005, 02:38 PM
I'm looking for an intermediate/advanced book on Ki by Tohei. I already have The Book of Ki: Coordinating... I find the exercises useful. Otherwise, it is a pretty basic book. Do the other less available titles have more in depth analyses?
Thanks for your help.

The Book of Ki: Coordinating Mind and Body is very representative of the depth of discussion on Ki you will find in any of Tohei's books. As mentioned in an early post, the older books are valued more as collector items than for hard to find information. As for more in depth Ki information, there are books by C. M. Shifflett and William Reed that are still in print and reasonably priced. As for an in depth view on Tohei's techniques, the book "This is Aikido" is the one to have. Unfortunately, it is out of print and used copies can run anywhere from $85 to over $200. Good luck on your search

Greg Steckel

gregstec
03-31-2005, 02:54 PM
Thanks for your help.

The Book of Ki: Coordinating Mind and Body is very representative of the depth of discussion on Ki you will find in any of Tohei's books. As mentioned in an early post, the older books are valued more as collector items than for hard to find information. As for more in depth Ki information, there are books by C. M. Shifflett and William Reed that are still in print and reasonably priced. As for an in depth view on Tohei's techniques, the book "This is Aikido" is the one to have. Unfortunately, it is out of print and used copies can run anywhere from $85 to over $200. Good luck on your search

Greg Steckel

gregstec
03-31-2005, 02:56 PM
Oops - sorry about the double post... :freaky:

Greg Steckel

Esaemann
03-31-2005, 03:48 PM
Thanks for the info, twice.
Its probably better that I keep Qi/Ki training instead of reading about it anyway. Saved me some $ too.

Larry Feldman
03-31-2005, 04:05 PM
Eric - After "the Book of Ki' you should read "Ki in Daily Life" it was the follow up to the first book, and a response to the requests for more practical explinations/examples. Since 'Ki in Daily Life' summarizes a lot of 'The Book of Ki', it is the one I usually recommend.

Jill N
03-31-2005, 05:05 PM
Hi all:
One of my students who recently re-started aikido after an over 20 year hiatus has the whole set of these booklets which he bought new back when he started practicing. We read a small section once in a while when it is time for ki breathing. I better handle them carefully now that I see what they are worth. (he has loaned them to me.)

e ya later
Jill.

crbateman
04-01-2005, 07:21 AM
Hello Jill,

There is nothing in any of the booklets which cannot be found in greater detail in Tohei Sensei's more mainstream books "Ki in Daily Life", "Ki in Aikido" and "Kiatsu". Although out of print, they are much more commonly available as used pieces, and will hold up to routine use much better than those flimsy stapled booklets. Better to put them away for good.

crbateman
04-01-2005, 04:25 PM
I need to correct an error in my above post: "Ki in Aikido" is a book by C.M. Schifflett (it's good also). What I meant to recommend was "Aikido with Ki" by Tohei Sensei and Maruyama Sensei. Sorry about the error... It's the first one I ever made... :sorry:

gregstec
04-01-2005, 10:46 PM
Hello Jill,

There is nothing in any of the booklets which cannot be found in greater detail in Tohei Sensei's more mainstream books "Ki in Daily Life", "Ki in Aikido" and "Kiatsu". Although out of print, they are much more commonly available as used pieces, and will hold up to routine use much better than those flimsy stapled booklets. Better to put them away for good.

Ditto on what Clark said - except I have found some recent new printings of Kiatsu and Ki in Daily Life available at very reasonable prices - try Amazon.com

Greg Steckel

gregstec
04-01-2005, 10:57 PM
I need to correct an error in my above post: "Ki in Aikido" is a book by C.M. Schifflett (it's good also).:

Absolutely one of the best 'how to' Ki books out there!

What I meant to recommend was "Aikido with Ki" by Tohei Sensei and Maruyama Sensei. Sorry about the error... It's the first one I ever made... :sorry:

This book is a follow on to Tohei's book 'This is Aikido.' It is by Koretoshi Maruyama (supervised by Koichi Tohei) when Maruyama Sensei was the chief instructor of Tohei's Shin Shin Toitsu Aikido. First printing was around 1984 and it has been out of print for a while. However, next to 'This is Aikido', it is one of the best Ki Aikido technical books out there.

Greg Steckel