PDA

View Full Version : Kind of Teaching Ukemi

Please visit our sponsor:

AikiWeb Sponsored Links - Place your Aikido link here for only $10!

Nick Simpson
01-12-2005, 09:18 AM
Well, I got to teach the last half hour of our class the other day as Sensei had to go to work. Ive taught a little before, when my instructor has been present and always found it scary but fun, this was no diffferent. He told me I had to teach techniques with a universal principle behind them, so I racked my brain for what to do.

Eventually I decided that there was little point in me teaching techniques as Im only copying on a basic level what ive been shown by people far more qaulified than I. So I remembered Jun saying on here that he teaches ukemi/uke classes from time to time, and saying as we had mostly people who have difficulty with ukemi that night I thought it would be a good thing to teach.

So off the op of my head what I did was to show how an advanced student would flip out of Shihonage and then how a less experianced person would normally get out of it.
So I had everyone go slowly and uke had to learn how to turn their body out of it and then tori would drop to one knee as they cut down and let uke forward roll out of shihonage. This seemed to be a sucess cos they all mamanged and we even got one person breakfalling out of it (which i was very happy about :) )

Then we did a kokyu which involved rolling/flipping over the bokken as it cuts the leg. I related this to our standard kokyu nage and had people practise that next. Then with the help of one of my fellow nikkyu's we showed the ukemi for uchi matter (spelling) a judo throw, which i related to turning out of tenchinage into a flip.

It all seemed to go quite smoothly and i think everyone had fun, next time I get to teach I want to continue this train of thought and I was wondering if any of you guys had any ideas or suggestions? Thanks for reading!

;)

John Boswell
01-12-2005, 09:59 AM
Good thinking, Nick!

Whenever we have a lot of new students in our class, Sensei will take a night and have a strictly Ukemi Class for us. He has everyone partner up, being sure new students work with advanced ones... and takes everyone from basic rolls through highfalls by the end of the night.

Using think pads is a good way for new students to feel safe to practice high falls. If you have the 4-6 inch crash pads like used in gymnastic, these work great. By the end of class, everyone has had a fun time, they are energized and eager to come back to "try it all out." It's also a good excuse for wimps like me to practice highfalls, as I don't do them usually... not if I can find a way to roll out of the tech. BUT, to be able to do the high falls is a good thing!

Good luck!

Tim Gerrard
01-17-2005, 06:24 PM
Nick I feel that you should give up teaching.

Tim Gerrard
01-17-2005, 06:26 PM
Nick I feel that you should give up teaching.
I felt a bit :confused:

:p

Nick Simpson
01-18-2005, 06:20 AM
Aaw, you got me all excited Tim, I thought a real person had replied to my thread! Thanks for the input so far John! :)