PDA

View Full Version : where to practice. . .

Please visit our sponsor:

AikiWeb Sponsored Links - Place your Aikido link here for only $10!

guest1216
01-06-2005, 07:46 PM
Hi
I'm new to aikido but after going to class I find I need a place to practice outside of the lessons. My house is too small & without enough carpet to really be suitable for things like rolls and such. :( I began practicing at my sister's house,but now her roomates are moving back in & the entire downstairs floor that used to be mine isnt. I was wondering if anyone had any ideas on where would be a good place to practice. It obviously neds lots of space & padding. I thought one room in my house would be large enough if it had carpet,do you think yoga mats are a suitable substitution for carpet?Thanks :)

Terrier
01-07-2005, 05:40 AM
If your back garden is big enough and the weather isn't bad then that's one of the easier places.

Sean McNamara
01-07-2005, 05:02 PM
Any slab of concrete will do. It can really help fine tune your body position for your ukemi. ;)

Who says Aikido is a "soft style"... :grr:

Tadhg Bird
01-07-2005, 05:31 PM
One does not need buildings, money, power, or status to practice the Art
of Peace. Heaven is right where you are standing, and that is the place
to train.

Not my words, O Sensei's. Having just built a mini-dojo in my garage, this quotation has been on my mind a bit.

Leslie Parks
01-07-2005, 06:28 PM
Any slab of concrete will do. It can really help fine tune your body position for your ukemi. ;)

Who says Aikido is a "soft style"... :grr:

Sean,
given our weather, you are giving me some ideas...

guest1216
01-08-2005, 06:25 PM
Thanks, all of these suggestions help. A garden or yard sound like a good place to practice. I'm not sure if I'm ready to try concrete--I hurt myself enough just doing things inside.:)

John Houck
01-08-2005, 11:57 PM
you can also try a local gym or YMCA