PDA

View Full Version : New Feature: AikiQuiz!

Please visit our sponsor:

AikiWeb Sponsored Links - Place your Aikido link here for only $10!

akiy
01-04-2005, 12:50 PM
Hi everyone,

I'd like to introduce a new section of AikiWeb that I'm calling, "AikiQuiz"!

You'll now be able to take quizzes regarding the art of aikido. The quiz software will keep track of the best scores and will allow you to rate each quiz.

AikiQuiz is located here:

http://www.aikiweb.com/forums/quiz.php

Perhaps the most exciting part of this is that you can submit new quizzes! That means that you can now submit a list of questions (with multiple choice answers) as new quizzes for AikiWeb members to take (pending administrator approval). Simply click on the "Submit a Quiz" link in the left-hand side of the above page and follow the forms there. I only have two quizzes up at the moment, so please feel encouraged to submit some quizzes for people to take!

Please use this thread to provide feedback for the AikiQuiz section.

Enjoy!

-- Jun

John Boswell
01-04-2005, 01:32 PM
Jun,

uh... are they working?

I clicked over there and it said it was invalid???

/shrug

I'll try again in a bit.

COOL FEATURE THOUGH! Looking forward to see what quiz Sensei Ledyard might post... and other instructors! :)

akiy
01-04-2005, 01:38 PM
Hi John,
I clicked over there and it said it was invalid???
I'm not too sure what you mean. The link above resolves OK for me.

Are you talking about some other part of the quiz that is "invalid"?

Thanks,

-- Jun

kironin
01-04-2005, 02:27 PM
Hi John,

I'm not too sure what you mean. The link above resolves OK for me.

Are you talking about some other part of the quiz that is "invalid"?

Thanks,

-- Jun

Probably means this

The link resolves fine, but when I try to select a quiz I get a
vBulletin message

Invalid quiz specified.

happens for all quizes

John Boswell
01-04-2005, 02:37 PM
What Craig said.

Sorry... hope it gets worked out.

akiy
01-04-2005, 03:28 PM
Ah -- thanks for the pointer. It gave me what I needed to debug. I think I've fixed it now. Let me know if otherwise...

-- Jun

mj
01-04-2005, 04:38 PM
On the randori no kata quiz it seems to loop from 8 back to one.

L. Camejo
01-04-2005, 05:48 PM
Actually I'd re-check the order on the tekubi waza portion of the Junanahon no kata quiz. Something ain't right. The answers are not in the order as the kata goes afaik.

Nice concept though.

LC:ai::ki:

akiy
01-04-2005, 05:54 PM
Actually I'd re-check the order on the tekubi waza portion of the Junanahon no kata quiz. Something ain't right. The answers are not in the order as the kata goes afaik.
If you get the chance, can you go through it again? Thanks.

-- Jun

L. Camejo
01-04-2005, 06:27 PM
If you get the chance, can you go through it again? Thanks.

-- Jun

Perfect!

Was battling with a "You cannot answer this question twice" message for a long time but things worked well after I disconnected my firewall and closed all the other browser windows. The problems of dial up. :)

Great addition to the site Jun, congrats.

LC:ai::ki:

akiy
01-04-2005, 06:30 PM
Thanks for checking, Larry. I appreciate it.

I'm looking forward to seeing some user (that's all of you!) contributed quizzes in the future. If you have any questions on creating them, please let me know.

-- Jun

senseimike
01-04-2005, 08:06 PM
I like this idea.... but having no experience with either style represented I can't even answer the first question in either. Would love to see a quiz based in basic Aikikai style.... and I'll try to compile some questions for a quiz of my own..... no idea how to to that, but it might take some time for me to get the questions together...... help would be appreciated. Great new feature though.....

Nafis Zahir
01-05-2005, 12:35 AM
Jun,

I do know all twenty, but the quiz kept jumping to the next question before I could answer or sometimes before it would register. It counted only 12 correct for some reason. I thought it would back to the ones that got skipped, but it didn't. I'll take it again after you look it over. Thanks! It's a great idea!

akiy
01-05-2005, 12:50 AM
Hi Nafis,

There's a timer on that quiz -- ten seconds per question, I believe...

-- Jun

MaryKaye
01-05-2005, 01:08 AM
Jun,

I think you may want to kill the timer--with a slow Net connection it could make the quiz unusable.

Mary Kaye

eva
01-05-2005, 04:42 AM
Jun,

I think you may want to kill the timer--with a slow Net connection it could make the quiz unusable.

Mary Kaye

Same problem here.
My computer didn't even show the possible answers for one question before jumping to the next one. No way to read through the answers and click the right button in about 1 sec left....

Eva

eva
01-05-2005, 05:06 AM
Quiz did work for me now after changing to a different computer with a faster network connection and a mouse instead of a touch pad...

Eva
PS: There are some suburi that go by different names in different dojos (some in the katate-series)....

PeterR
01-05-2005, 05:32 AM
I got a "can't answer the same question twice error".

PeterR
01-05-2005, 05:34 AM
And by the way I'm going to have Sooooo much fun with Hori-san.

A Shodokan Honbu man who made an error. Tsk tsk.

akiy
01-05-2005, 10:24 AM
Hi folks,

I upped the timer to twenty seconds per question. Is that enough time?

-- Jun

L. Camejo
01-05-2005, 03:11 PM
I got a "can't answer the same question twice error".

Of course if you look at my progression on the Junanahon quiz there were some interesting anomalies - 2, then 15 then 17 (where it was supposed to be from the beginning had I not experienced technical difficulties).

But I didn't cry about a low dial up connection and the "you can't answer the same question twice message." I redid it over and over, until the score showed the number it was supposed to.:D

Crybabies.:p

Besides its a quiz, not an open book test - the 10 second limit kept you on your toes.;)

LC:ai::ki: ;)

aikidoc
01-05-2005, 04:27 PM
There are some differences in the I believe it was 12 and 13 questions versus terminology Saito used in his initial book-they may have changed it over time (this is in the wrist technique section).

I learned katate gedan gaeshi, toma katate uchi and katate hajinoji gaeshi.

The timer is a bit quick. I hit one and missed the dot and as I recovered it timed me out and gave me an incorrect. I knew the answer too -darn.

Zato Ichi
01-05-2005, 07:11 PM
And by the way I'm going to have Sooooo much fun with Hori-san.

A Shodokan Honbu man who made an error. Tsk tsk.

Well, I deserve what's coming to me. I blew through that quiz in about about 20 seconds or so, and didn't really read everything... accurately.

Tenkai kote hineri, not tenshin.

In my defense, they both started with ten :D

akiy
01-21-2005, 05:28 PM
Hi folks,

Anyone want to come up with some new quizzes? I'm hoping this will be a community effort, folks...

http://www.aikiweb.com/forums/quiz.php

Please click on "Submit a quiz."

-- Jun

akiy
02-15-2005, 11:46 AM
Hi everyone,

I went and added a link to the Quizzes at the top of the forums page ("Quizzes"). I'm hoping this will help interest in the quizzes in the future...

-- Jun