View Full Version : Aikido and Jujitsu training

Please visit our sponsor:

AikiWeb Sponsored Links - Place your Aikido link here for only $10!

Adam Bailey
12-08-2004, 06:52 AM
Hello, I had taken Aikido for a very short time before training in Brazilian Jujitsu(I know it is not the same as Japanese jujutsu and this is the bearing of my question) Would it be prudent to study Aikido at the same time I am also studying jujitsu? I would be taking both from entirely different teachers, and from my experience they are different techniques in a somewhat(though losely) related arts. I would appreciate all Aikidoka, and especially yudansha's opinions. I feel I may also add, I have never nor do I wish to compete in Brazilian Jujitsu, it is against my nature, being the cause of someone else's failure.

Adam Bailey
12-08-2004, 07:09 AM
I sincerely hope I do not have to challenge anyone to give me their opinion.

12-08-2004, 07:29 AM
Would it be prudent to study Aikido at the same time I am also studying jujitsu?

Why not? Assuming that you have the time, money and energy to devote time to both.

I feel I may also add, I have never nor do I wish to compete in Brazilian Jujitsu, it is against my nature, being the cause of someone else's failure.

Not wanting to compete is fine. Most people who train in boxing, judo, bjj, muay thai, sambo/sombo, etc....don't compete. Having said that, I suggest you re-examine your thoughts about competition. Competition isn't about "causing someone else's failure". It's another opportunity to learn.

12-08-2004, 07:31 AM
Never challenged, slow yes, challenged no

I have never nor do I wish to compete in Brazilian Jujitsu, it is against my nature, being the cause of someone else's failure without intending to antagonise, this does smack of hubris, so I'd probably suggest competing anyway but as a means of experiencing it rather than "to win", removing all that dreadful chest-beating at being the best..

For your original question, the answer will be unique to yourself - if you find you enjoy doing the two arts, do them. They're not in competition with each other and as long as you don't wander down the path of "but in x they do y" you should do fine. (But then I've never understood anyone who objects to cross training.)

Adam Bailey
12-08-2004, 07:42 AM
Thank you for your input. And I do understand your thoughts of hubris. I had initially thought of retracting the last phrase, however that is most literally what I dislike about competition. When I lose I generally feel it is due to my competitor having more skill than I have, and more of a sense what I need to better myself at more accutely. However, as with the general attitude of Brazilian Jujitsu Competition(unlike Judo the are no ideals mentioned when facing a more talented opponent) I have seen losses taken rather hardly, and wins as you stated taken with "chest beating". Unfortunately there seemed no more of a basic way to state what I am most opposed to most about competition in Brazilian Jujitsu. I aplogize.

12-08-2004, 07:49 AM
IMHO, and I cross train in FMA/JKD, if your enjoy the training, train.

12-08-2004, 07:55 AM
I think you want to set clear goals for yourself.

There is a guy here in CT named Fabio that has a lot of people's respect for his ability (maybe 16 years of bjj). I have not met him yet. I was talking to one of his students (becuase I want to meet him) who is also in my university aikido club and I was shocked when he explained to me that "Fabio doesn't roll with people much anymore because he's old." So I asked, "How old is he?" and the response was "He's pretty old. He's 37." The student standing with us talking - who has to be in his late 50s or early 60s - and I just laughed and laughed...

I honeslty do not know if my student's perception is accurate or if people like Fabio are the exception rather than the rule, but it suggests to me that you might want to at least talk to some of the older people in bjj because if you stick it out you'll be one someday (hopefully not at 37).

With all of that said, I would recommend working out with a bjj player because it is good martial arts information. The other side of this is always that you might want to wait on learning both sets of fundimentals at once, and learn them one at a time.

12-08-2004, 08:29 AM

I trained jujitsu and aikido together for 8 years.

With my aikido practice being primarily related to principles I found the jujitsu excellent in broadening my knowledge of applying the principles to actual techniques.

At the same time I felt that the jujitsu I practiced was greatly enhanced by the consideration of martial principles that I applied from aikido.

So for me the two were highly complimentary.

On the downside I feel its important to achieve a reasonable level in one before looking at the other. Doing both as a novice will be confusing.

Further - Its not easy to serve more than one master.

My jujitsu instructor was always frustrated by my aikido mindset.

My aikido instructor was frustrated by my craving for life at the sharper end....and the injuries that such entertainment guarantees.

Enjoy...both are fantastic arts in their own right what ever flavour you opt for.

12-09-2004, 02:30 PM
I say if you like doing both and can handle both...practice both. Just keep in mind that you are doing them individually and don't put BJJ techniques in on aikido or vice versa. I mean, O'Sensei trained in various other martial arts before he formed aikido so it's always a good thing to follow his example. :D

12-14-2004, 01:01 AM
evileyes Adam my boy, you are doing GREAT, first it doesn't matter Jujutsu or Jujitsu is just pronunciation

First, B. Jujitsu comes from the friendship of the patriarchal figure of the Gracie family with the consul from Japan on his country at the beginning of the 20th century

his kids developed their skills concentrating in the area that they saw as a weakness on everybody else, that just happened to be the area that most confrontations ended up THE FLOOR, so the worked on Ne Waza or floor techniques
so, Aikido WILL develop your grace of movement, taisabaki, Koshi Nage, wile B Jujitsu will help your ground figthing , now wait a cople of months and look for a good boxing gym or tai boxing gym and work on developing your striking , another idea , cross train with Judokas so you further develop your grip and entrances to throws ,this will take a wile but if you are friendly, honest and have a warrior's heart, most people will not charge you a dime as long as you show enthusiasm , remember be complete , weapons should go in your curriculum later , but for now develop and master the basics , your stamina , strength balance ,grip and pain tolerance , this is only possible by lots of time on the mats with deferent guys , every time you make a friend ask them if they wanna practice on a day off on what ever you are having problems , a lot of medium skill guys will help you because it gives them a chance to refine and practice there feeling for counters ext. Read magazines on training methods both for grappling and striking , later start combining styles , like after a Kote Gaeshi go to a side mount then to a mount , strike , wait for an arm , and go for Juji Gatame then show this to your Aikido friends, at the same time show your B Jujitsu friends to use Kansetsu Waza from the close guard when your opponent is reaching for your neck ext. Keep it going and don't quit if some day you should become a Sensei your students will have a vast poll of knowledge to take from The Snake is Honor to see a true follower of the Martial Ways May god turn the hearts of those who hate you and if he can't may he turn their ankles so you know them by their limping
This Have been the Evil Ways of Dave tha Snake (PAIN IS JUST WEAKNESS LEAVING THE BODY) evileyes

12-14-2004, 06:00 AM
you can learn with the life of the Founder, he was a martila art guy, He enjoy Jujutsu and a lot of diferents styles. So go ahead practice, practice and practice